U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:05 AM

262 posts, read 844,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiveintohell View Post
Really? 3 months, let's not exaggerate, most of us have seen snow in October and April. You can't recall snow on Halloween, Easter, St. Patricks Day, or a good old April fools day snow storm?
I have seen 6 inches of snow in the suburbs on MAY 15th! Decades ago, but still - Boston's third-largest snowstorm EVER was in April -- April Fool's Day Blizzard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, the weather DOES suck here for 6+months - and whoever wrote that Please come to Boston in the springtime song is deranged - the ocean is ICY still from the winter, and any breeze from the East, NE or SE and you FREEZE in the spring. That being said, ya gotta deal with it, and the summers are quite nice - I stay only because of my job, without a decent job it doesn't matter where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 11:07 PM

158 posts, read 456,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveV View Post
I have seen 6 inches of snow in the suburbs on MAY 15th! Decades ago, but still - Boston's third-largest snowstorm EVER was in April -- April Fool's Day Blizzard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, the weather DOES suck here for 6+months - and whoever wrote that Please come to Boston in the springtime song is deranged - the ocean is ICY still from the winter, and any breeze from the East, NE or SE and you FREEZE in the spring. That being said, ya gotta deal with it, and the summers are quite nice - I stay only because of my job, without a decent job it doesn't matter where you live.

I recall 70 degree weather in April and October more than snow. A snowstorm in October if a freak event. A snowstorm in April is rare, and if it occurs, it happens at night because the days are too warm and the snow melts fast.

But Indian Summers are legend in New England. They happen all the time. It is not unusual at all to hit 70s in October, and it often happens in April as well.

So according to the bitter haters, if getting snow in October or April means "its winter" than getting 70s means "its spring" or "its summer".

So just to flip the logic on all the fools complaining about the once in a decade five inch storm that we may get in October; if that means it is winter than April through October must be Spring because it is more likely that we will hit a 70 degree in all those months. And November and December are still and quiet winter months, not bad at all. Charming actually.

Yep, 8 months of gorgeous spring and summer weather according to the people who judge a season by one, rare, seasonal snow storm. Heck, we just got 65 degree weather in February. Maybe, we'll call February spring!!! Because one freak snow storm in April means April is winter!!! One freak spring day in February must mean February is spring!

Good grief

Old 02-23-2011, 11:27 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,054,573 times
Quote:
I saw the snow and cold into May and put my transfer into a job Arizona.
Then another year winter was snow and more snow. Summer was a so called
spring and my vacation was go to Arizona.Yes I had a great time never did
move there. Yes, I did go South for the sunshine, but I do enjoy Boston.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:47 PM

5,763 posts, read 13,328,951 times
Quote:
The reason I raised a question about Bostonian's post about mid thirties temperatures in late May was his phrasing, when he wrote "still in the mid thirties in late May." The use of the word "still" seems to imply that you typically see temperatures like this all through the spring, and that this kind of cold has not eased up even by late May. The reality is that the occurrence of temperatures that low in late May is freakish. You might have lows in the thirties at night in late May in a brief spell of a couple of days, then go a number of years before it happens again.

The key point to keep in mind about springtime in Boston is that the weather changes frequently. The general trend is an increasing number of pleasant days as the spring progresses, but you'll get the occasional single day, maybe two days, of gray, raw weather suddenly occurring after you've had a bunch of nice days. Then it gets nice right away again, or at least moderate, maybe a little cool often even into early May, but not frigid like winter.

April is a mixed bag of pleasantly cool, pleasantly warm, brisk and blustery, damp and chilly. Generally, though, the weather in April is temperate. Those major snowstorms in early April DaveV talks about in the quoted post happen on average maybe once every twenty years, maybe even less often than that. When it does snow in April, it melts right away.

It's true, as DaveV points out, that along the coast there can be some raw days deep into spring, but around most of the Boston area, May is generally a beautiful month when the weather the vast majority of days is about as pleasant as it gets all year--neither cold nor really hot. The only case of accumulating snow in May that I'm aware of in recent decades was a snowfall in May of '77. At the time I was out of the Boston area, away at college, but the pictures I recall seeing of the snow on the ground looked more like a coating rather than six inches. In any case, that was a freakish winter all around, with severe cold--record cold in many locations--over the entire country east of the Rockies. It even snowed in Miami that January. May around Boston usually is beautiful. Dave Loggins in "Please Come to Boston" had it right that Boston can be intoxicating on a pleasantly warm May day with the flowers in full bloom.

Maybe to some degree it's a matter of attitude to appreciate all the nice days as you get well into springtime, rather than letting it get you down that you may still get the occasional chilly day in late spring. You could let it get you down that there are years when you don't see the last chilly weather until the middle of June, or you can appreciate the beauty of the vast majority of pleasant days from mid to late April on. It all depends on the way you choose to see it.

Last edited by ogre; 02-24-2011 at 12:00 AM..

Old 02-23-2011, 11:56 PM

For the record, the average high in Boston in October is 62, that's the average. Brrrrrr winter; brake out the parkas. The dreadfully cold New England November is 52, please stop I'm going to freeze!!!

The average high in April is 55, buy some more salt for the driveway. And it always snows in May, when the average high is 66.

By the way, two years ago it hit 69 on December 2:

Boston basks in record high, but first snow expected Saturday - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe

Yeah, it snows in April, and we hit 69 in December too. Freak weather is part of New England.

We get three months of winter, 12/15 to 3/15. It can be colder outside those months, and it can be warmer inside that window. In those months, there is probably about 3 to 5 weeks of unbearable weather. Get to March, breath easy. Get to Saint Patrick's Day, you'll be fine.

Its all a state of mind anyway. People complain too much.

Last edited by lukec; 02-24-2011 at 12:28 AM..

Old 02-24-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukec View Post
And November and December are still and quiet winter months, not bad at all. Charming actually.
Charming schmarming, dreary and dark is a much better description..

Quote:
Yep, 8 months of gorgeous spring and summer weather according to the people who judge a season by one, rare, seasonal snow storm. Heck, we just got 65 degree weather in February. Maybe, we'll call February spring!!! Because one freak snow storm in April means April is winter!!! One freak spring day in February must mean February is spring!
8 months of gorgeous spring and summer weather - Wow - hey I love summer here much as anyone, I grew up on the south shore beaches during the summer but 8 months of gorgeous spring and summer weather ? Let's not deceive those from other areas reading this, huh? That's not even close.. 3 or 4 months of nice beach weather when it's good - and remember June 2009 when the sun hardly came out THE ENTIRE MONTH!
Boston Beats Seattle For Most Rainy June Days - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston (http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/19993945/detail.html - broken link)
Despite gloom, cloudy record out of reach at Blue Hill - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe
With rainy spell, Boston shop owners endure a June swoon - The Boston Globe
So far, June sunlight in Boston is lowest in past century - The Boston Globe

Old 02-24-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Charming schmarming, dreary and dark is a much better description..

8 months of gorgeous spring and summer weather - Wow - hey I love summer here much as anyone, I grew up on the south shore beaches during the summer but 8 months of gorgeous spring and summer weather ? Let's not deceive those from other areas reading this, huh? That's not even close.. 3 or 4 months of nice beach weather when it's good - and remember June 2009 when the sun hardly came out THE ENTIRE MONTH!
Boston Beats Seattle For Most Rainy June Days - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston (http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/19993945/detail.html - broken link)
Despite gloom, cloudy record out of reach at Blue Hill - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe
With rainy spell, Boston shop owners endure a June swoon - The Boston Globe
So far, June sunlight in Boston is lowest in past century - The Boston Globe

I was engaging in sarcasm. And for every freak, anecdotal evidence one provides of how we have "six months" of winter, I can counter that with evidence to the contrary.

Last April - that's last April 2010, Boston hit 90 degrees on April 7th.

April Amazement: Record Warm Recap - weather.com

I only brought up anecdotal evidence, after other people consistently whine about the "harrowing" six month winters.

And yes, I do find early winters charming. The first snow storm of the year is a novelty, especially if it falls on Thanksgiving or Christmas. As a fisherman, I can tell you December is one of the calmest months. There is no wind, and its the wind that really sucks. And I do enjoy fall and winter during Thanksgiving and Christmas. I like Christmas shopping in the cool crisp air down Faneuil Hall or Newbury street with all the lights glittering with a light coat of snow.

The problem with winter is the length of the season. In November and December, its just a refreshing break to me.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:38 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,256,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Yeah Pear, except those years when it's still in the mid thirties in late May ....

Thats how it was the year I left Boston. It rained everyday all day in May as well.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:41 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,041,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Thats how it was the year I left Boston. It rained everyday all day in May as well.
I remember one year when I was in Worcester, it rained all month, peoples basements were flooded, I got pneumonia...not a nice time. When I was a kid living outside of Boston, I was sick every winter.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Yep, 8 months of gorgeous spring and summer weather according to the people who judge a season by one, rare, seasonal snow storm. Heck, we just got 65 degree weather in February. Maybe, we'll call February spring!!! Because one freak snow storm in April means April is winter!!! One freak spring day in February must mean February is spring! Good grief
Hey when does the 8 months of gorgeous spring and summer weather start? Just kinda wondering when I can put the hose out and all..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or