Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 05:32 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,435,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh0416 View Post
And an extra bonus of living in the South when weather gets bad....not enough equipment to handle or treat the roads! No fun!! I would stick to Boston...it's much better there!
So in the South, you get a free vacation day. But in the north, you have to go to work even if it snowed 10 inches overnight.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-11-2011 at 05:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 08:56 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh0416 View Post
Well, if you're still considering a move down South, just so you know, there is 18 inches of snow in my yard right now and I live in Arkansas! There has been snow (and ice) on the ground since the beginning of January here. I think Dallas and Houston also got ice last week. And an extra bonus of living in the South when weather gets bad....not enough equipment to handle or treat the roads! No fun!! I would stick to Boston...it's much better there!
Guess what tody 2-11-2011 the
one and only state without snow on the ground is Florida, the sunshine State.
However, it has been really cold here!

Old 02-11-2011, 09:02 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Try Florida where it's Publix and only Publix with an occasional Winn Dixie. But you say it well, a city with depth, history and culture. Bravo Boston!
Sweetbay also is here and took over cash and carry. Public however is the
so called place to shop. Sweetbay also is real nice and cheaper than Publix!

Old 02-19-2011, 06:09 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1234 View Post
Hi guys,

I have been living in Boston since the past 7-8 yrs. My wife and I have good paying, stable technology jobs in Boston.

But, I'm just sick of this long cold winter which lasts for 6 months a year! It's all gloomy, gray and depressing. Probably, I'm just getting older (I'm 30 yrs old). Add to that Boston is super expensive! 70 year old homes sell for > 550k$ in good school towns + 6 months of high heating bills + super high property taxes!

I'm seriously thinking of moving to a warmer, cheaper city like Atlanta,Ga, Dallas,tx , etc.

I love Boston in the summer..but it's hardly there to enjoy. The beaches, the downtown, the harbor, great school system for kids and safe suburbs...its all nice...except for the winter.

I'm not sure if I'm being just a cry baby because of the weather or should I really follow my wishful dreams and make a move to these cheaper,warmer cities. Is it worth starting all over again in a new city?

I see all these brand new homes on HGTV selling for 300k$ in sunny florida, atlanta, dallas and I feel sad about living in Boston. Are these worth moving for?..or its just grass is greener on the other side?
I have lived here a yr, and lived in Florida and Atlanta previously.

PROS - Boston - Culture, jobs, several sesons
Cons - snow, housing costs, T

Pros - South - Warm weather, cost of living, No pub transport system
Cons - Accents, Slow pace, lack of jobs, heat in summer

We like the North better, by may stay a few yrs and return, prefer to have a home with a yard for 300K

Old 02-19-2011, 07:19 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
Why is public transportation a con?

Old 02-20-2011, 10:14 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
Pear M., I was wondering the same thing.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:36 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
Good public transit is a blessing. Even if you don't use it, its nice alway having the option and it keeps more cars off the street so the streets don't get too conjested. I live in a city with some of the worst public transit in the country and major sprawl, and it can get a bit tiring having to drive everywhere. Most people have to drive just to pick up a gallon of milk or any other everyday item.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:23 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Pear M., I was wondering the same thing.
So was I. Also, accents? Like you don't hear accents around here?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:09 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
I have lived here a yr, and lived in Florida and Atlanta previously.

PROS - Boston - Culture, jobs, several sesons
Cons - snow, housing costs, T

Pros - South - Warm weather, cost of living, No pub transport system
Cons - Accents, Slow pace, lack of jobs, heat in summer

We like the North better, by may stay a few yrs and return, prefer to have a home with a yard for 300K

The T has made it possible for me to get in and out of Boston during many snow storms. I don't see why it would be a con. With the mess of traffic in Eastern Mass, think how much worse it would be without the T and Commuter Rail.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:17 PM

415 posts, read 1,666,178 times
Public transit is a huge PRO in the city of Boston and in NYC and SF, where city driving is very expensive and difficult. Using the T is almost a must in Boston.

In most cities in America, public transit isn't needed at all. Most cities don't have the congestion, parking issues, or just the stress that driving in Boston has. Driving is pretty enjoyable and easy, hence no need for public transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston