U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 28,024 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I have been living in Boston since the past 7-8 yrs. My wife and I have good paying, stable technology jobs in Boston.

But, I'm just sick of this long cold winter which lasts for 6 months a year! It's all gloomy, gray and depressing. Probably, I'm just getting older (I'm 30 yrs old). Add to that Boston is super expensive! 70 year old homes sell for > 550k$ in good school towns + 6 months of high heating bills + super high property taxes!

I'm seriously thinking of moving to a warmer, cheaper city like Atlanta,Ga, Dallas,tx , etc.

I love Boston in the summer..but it's hardly there to enjoy. The beaches, the downtown, the harbor, great school system for kids and safe suburbs...its all nice...except for the winter.

I'm not sure if I'm being just a cry baby because of the weather or should I really follow my wishful dreams and make a move to these cheaper,warmer cities. Is it worth starting all over again in a new city?

I see all these brand new homes on HGTV selling for 300k$ in sunny florida, atlanta, dallas and I feel sad about living in Boston. Are these worth moving for?..or its just grass is greener on the other side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 07:26 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,994,412 times
Land a job in those cities, then decide.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 PM

6,004 posts, read 13,175,853 times
hooray, another person exaggerating about the weather in Boston.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:34 PM

2,049 posts, read 3,460,267 times
You'll likely be miserable in Dallas, Atlanta or most of FLA with the oppressive and unyielding summer heat and consistentaly high dew point temps (mugginess).

We'll get very uncomfortable, even at 3 am, for parts of the summer, but we often have a nice day or two of summer to break it up. Dallas can be 90 plus for 30-90 days, ALL humid. Atlanta and Dallas get very cold in winter: lows uner 40 are normal, in the 30s and 20s not uncommon. True, it's a shorter winter, though. They seem to get ice storms at times. Even Tampa is in the 30s and 40s many nites in winter (sometimes in the 20s). During a recent Super Bowl in Tampa, some nites that week fell below 40. Boston's low has been higher or comparable to ATL several times in Nov. and Dec. I'm a weather buff, thus I'm knowledgeable on this.

As you know, we rarely hit below 10-15 IN Boston at nite. Minus 2 (worse with the windchill) at 7 am the other day is extraordinary...coldest in 6 years! Many winters, despite some snow and some bitter cold, most of the time we have little or no snow on the ground! Many years the ski areas complain because Bostonians don't see snow in their yards, thus don't drive north if there is snow.

It's the winds here which can be awful. I agree. But do we really have that many cloudy days in winter vs. sunny? I'm told by some that even if it's cold, at least we have sun much of the time.

Nowhere in mainland US does it NOT go below 50 for lows at times. Even LA and San Diego hover at high 40s-low 50s much of the winter. That seems unfair to those living there...brutal actually.

Plus, it'll be harder to find as many great school districts in many other cities.

But yes, those cheap new homes elsewhere can be tempting!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:54 PM

757 posts, read 1,415,496 times
I've lived in the sun belt all my life and during the summer, I get tired of the sun and too-warm temps- and it's not nearly as bad where I am as it is in the cities you mention.

Read some posts from natives or long-time residents in Dallas or Atlanta who want to move north, and an often-cited reason is that they're tired of the heat, spending too much time indoors to get away from it and paying high utility rates to cool their homes.

When you look at the costs of the homes on those TV shows, you may want to ask yourself why they cost so little.

Also ask yourself if you want to live in Southern culture. I understand that it is diluted in the big cities, but you'd still be in the South. For some, that's all the better. For you..?

Old 01-25-2011, 09:54 PM

55 posts, read 173,512 times
I have homes in Atlanta, California, and Florida yet I choose to live here. It suxs everywhere cause you're inside your car to drive to work and then inside a building working from dawn to dusk anyway. Three feet of snow in three weeks here is too much but think about other places dealing with tornado, earthquake, hurricane, etc.

When summer come, you're a quick drive to great cities like Montreal, NYC, DC or a quick flight to Cancun, Carribean, and Europe!

Old 01-25-2011, 10:03 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,026,539 times
I lived part of my life just outside of Boston, part outside of Dallas and now I am outside Orlando.

I have to say that it really depends on the person. I have friends who are originally from New England who LOVE the winter there. They go to a local place to ski after work and don't seem to mind the lack of the sun in winter.

Personally now that I am grown up and no longer play in the snow (lol), I don't think I could live there anymore. Even as a child my parents took me to Florida every winter for a week for a break.

The heat in Dallas is dry but its intense and unless you have been through it, I can't tell you its something you can stand.

The heat here in Orlando is different, its very humid but the temps don't go so high. We of course have hurricanes here in Orlando but not necessarily every year.

There is so much to love about New England and I often miss it but I am not sure I could handle the long winter.

I would visit where ever you are thinking of moving to before you go, not only to find a job but to get an idea of what its really like there.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:16 PM

5,757 posts, read 13,320,646 times
People have given you some good points to consider, like the fact that if you moved to the South you'd be trading a long hot (and muggy in many areas) summer for the long cold winters in Boston. I have to disagree to some degree with Bostonguy's point about how cold it can get in many Southern cities. It can get pretty cold, but overall the winters are much milder than they are here. The key point is to realize that it's not going to be beach weather in the South in the middle of winter, which is a misconception some people seem to have.

I'll suggest another couple of advantages that Boston has. One is public transit. Keep in mind that in Southern cities for the most part you'd better get used to driving everywhere for every need. The other point is that few regions in the U.S. can offer the variety of possibilities for natural recreation to be found in New England. While it's true that a lot of these amenities can be enjoyed for only part of the year, in some areas you might consider moving to those places for outdoor recreation don't exist anywhere nearby at all. In Dallas you're nowhere near any significant places for outdoor recreation. In Atlanta you'd be close to the mountains, but a good distance from the nearest beaches.

Your reasons for taking a negative view of Boston are legitimate. Just be sure before you make a move that you also are aware of the advantages you might not find in some of the areas you're thinking of moving to. Once you consider ALL the pros and cons of Boston and any other place you might consider moving to, then you're the one who has to make the final decision.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:13 PM

20 posts, read 38,894 times
Let's trade. Perth for Boston, kgo.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:47 PM

158 posts, read 455,773 times
Sounds nuts to me. Seven or eight years? If you are that weak to weather, get out of Boston and the USA. Boston springs are great. What is great about the winter's is that we love and appreciate spring.

Ahhh. Opening Day, Marathon Monday, Saint Patrick's... And early winter is great too. I love a snowstorm during the holidays. Shopping and looking at lights with a snowfall.

If you want it warm and boring all the time, with excruciatingly hot summers, get out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or