U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 09:45 PM

3 posts, read 5,400 times

Advertisements

We currently rent in Belmont, my husband works at Harvard and I work in the Longwood medical area. My husband takes the 73 bus and I usually can get a ride into work in the morning. But I can't get a ride home since we have a young daughter and I need to get home early (by 6pm). I have been taking the M2 shuttle from Longwood to Harvard Square and then the 73 bus, but it has always taken at least an hour, and last Thursday it took me 2 hours and 15 minutes to get back home--streets were clean, but the traffic was bad. Really tired of commuting.

We are thinking of moving, but our daughter's now going to a daycare in Waltham--more commuting for us, and there are long waiting lists to get into the daycares near Harvard and Longwood, and we don't know other good daycares near these places. We are willing to move further away and take the train in (at least the schedule's more predictable), as long as we can find a good daycare right away. I know we have many restrictions, but hope to hear some good suggestions. Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 11:43 AM

83 posts, read 292,799 times
Look into the parts of Newton that are on the D-Riverside branch of the Green Line.

Not cheap but it would give you a direct shot into the LMA, and your husband one to Reservoir station, where he could catch a Harvard bus (the 86). There may be other day care options in those areas of Newton as well.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestion--we never thought of that option, but it is a good compromise.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:00 PM

2,954 posts, read 10,823,955 times
I lived in Belmont and recently moved to Newton because my girlfriend commutes to the LMA. In additon to the D line, there's the commuter rail here too.

We live in Newtonville and the commuter rail goes from here to Yawkey in 10 mins. Just check the schedule carefully to make sure it works for you. The train doesn't run to either station all the time, but there are Newtonville to Back Bay trains as well as Yawkey.

My friend lives near Harvard and I've done the trip by bus. You can get the 59 bus on Walnut Street in Newtonville. It's a pretty quick ride to Watertown Square for the 71 bus down Mount Auburn Street to Harvard.

It's a nice neighborhood and the rents are comparable to Belmont. Newton has a rep for being too upscale, but that's not particularly true north, or just south, of the Mass Pike. We're also only a few minutes from Waltham.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:13 AM

234 posts, read 522,417 times
On the daycare end- is it possible to find a nanny or do a nanny share? it would allow you more flexibility and maybe even be cost less than what you would pay to send her to a daycare in the Longwood/Harvard area, depending on her age. Have you looked into Harvard affiliated daycares? In college I worked at Botanic Gardens Children's Center, which is affiliated with Harvard- staff get priority in admission. It's been a while, but when I was there it was a great place.

Botanic Gardens Children's Center: Enrollment and Monthly Tuition (http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~bgcc/enrollment.html - broken link)

Here are others:

Child Care @ Harvard

Good luck!

Old 02-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Thank you holden125 and proudestmonkey for your suggestions. We've since been looking all over for housing. Newton is definitely a possibility now and we might even buy there. But so far daycare is our biggest constraint--my daughter's only 18 months and it's really hard to find a good daycare for her age. We got into a Harvard daycare last year, but the price was just too high ($2195 a month--that's the going price. We'd have to help out two hours every week too, since it's a coop.) The daycares in Longwood have very long waiting lists. We were thinking of nanny share, but the other parents backed out-- good nannies are hard to find, too! It's just so tough living here.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:37 PM

33 posts, read 204,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyu View Post
Thank you holden125 and proudestmonkey for your suggestions. We've since been looking all over for housing. Newton is definitely a possibility now and we might even buy there. But so far daycare is our biggest constraint--my daughter's only 18 months and it's really hard to find a good daycare for her age. We got into a Harvard daycare last year, but the price was just too high ($2195 a month--that's the going price. We'd have to help out two hours every week too, since it's a coop.) The daycares in Longwood have very long waiting lists. We were thinking of nanny share, but the other parents backed out-- good nannies are hard to find, too! It's just so tough living here.
Have you tried Sittercity.com? I'm a single parent of a young child and know other parents who have used this site to find sitters, nannies etc successfully.

Definitely go for Newton if for no other reason than the excellent schools your daughter will soon be growing into. And hang in there!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:11 AM

324 posts, read 901,857 times
FYI, for day care near Harvard, there are the Harvard affiliated ones, of which 2 of the 6 are coops, so you'd be required to do the 2 hour per week thing. The prices are basically going to be the same at any center in Cambridge/Boston/Brookline. But, price drops as your child gets older. We're now paying 1500 for a nearly 4 year old at one of the Harvard affiliated coops. As for non-Harvard affiliated day care, there is a wonderful place on Kirkland St. called Tree House Academy, and there are several Bright Horizons in the area (Central, Kendall, MIT, etc.). It's hard to get in with an infant (long wait lists), but it's much easier as they become toddlers, and super easy as preschoolers because there are so many preschool options in the area.

We simplified a lot by living very close to work and having our son's day care right nearby. We pay a lot to live so close, but the very very short commute has been worth it, especially while our son was young. If you were to live very close to Harvard, you could take the LMA to Longwood easily, your husband could walk to work. Your daughter could be easily dropped off by either of you. Anyway, it might not work out for you guys, but just another thing to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or