U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 04:52 PM

95 posts, read 332,966 times

Advertisements

I noticed there is a higher ratio of women to men in Boston. Then doing further research I noticed most states or cities that get snowy or cold seasons have a higher percentage of women to men.

So I did a reverse research and noticed states and cities with nicer weather (especially the West Coast) have a higher ratio of men than women.

Does anyone know why men seem to want to go out West and women tend to want to stay in the east coast?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 12:49 AM

5,755 posts, read 13,320,646 times
Interesting observation. It's not true across the board that this has to do with cold vs. warm climates. Alaska has more men than women.

I'm generalizing here, and I'm aware that there could be individual exceptions, but maybe part of the answer is that men generally may be more likely than women to be a bit adventurous, and be willing to move to a restless growing city out west. Women often seem to place a high value on security, convenience, and familiar territory, so maybe women raised in the Northeast and Midwest are more likely to prefer staying close to home in these regions with old, stable, established regional cultures and a lot of older big cities with well established amenities, rather than taking off for sprawling new cities with a restless feel and not so many highly established amenities. Just a thought.

Of course with Boston in particular, the ratio is probably skewed some by the large population of college students, there being more female than male college students. The reason for the disproportionate ratio among college students is a question in itself. Maybe part of the answer is that men are more likely to go into skilled trades where they can make solid money working with their hands, rather than go through several years of college. Whatever the reason for the skewed ratio among the college population, there are definitely more female than male students, and this most likely does partly explain the ratio in Boston.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:36 AM

95 posts, read 332,966 times
Good answer! I never really thought about it that way. I guess even with the liberal movement of the 1960's there are still some things still never changed when it comes to certain things such as being adventurous and moving a long distance.

As far as college you are right there are always more female students than male students, unless it is a technical school, then it seems to be the other way around. Boston is known for having good colleges and universities though, where out west the colleges are not as good.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:54 AM

895 posts, read 1,200,815 times
Ogre is correct. Men tend to say, "this place sucks, I am leaving for greener pastures".

Women have a tendency to say "yeah the weather sucks, but dam I sure would miss Aunty Em. There's no place like home..."

<cue tornado>

Old 01-27-2011, 12:05 PM

5,680 posts, read 5,010,551 times
This theory doesn't take into consideration how many women are not originally from these Northeastern cities that they currently live in....

Old 01-27-2011, 03:03 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,528,280 times
Women like culture, sidewalk cafes, theater. Men like shooting animals in the woods. They also tend to be more liberal since sexism affects them directly. Women are more social so density will attract them and repel the guy who tend to be more solitary. And maybe a portion of this can be explained by the military population. Military bases have a 10-1 m-f ratio. In Boston's case, there are at least three all girls colleges.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:46 AM

HonestOne, LOL. Reps for that bit about missing Aunty Em.

Cantabridgienne, I think what may happen is that the question of why people live where they do, why some move and others stay where they are, etc., can get complicated. Maybe a lot of factors, such as people moving where the jobs are, tend to balance things out across the country. Then when there's one factor that's more a matter of personal tendencies, that may be the one consideration that does not balance so well across the country, and so tends to skew the demographics from place to place.

Bostonian, I'm having difficulty coming up with three women's colleges. There's Simmons. If you're including the whole metro area you can add Wellesley. After that, I'm having trouble coming up with a third. I dunno, is Wheelock all girls?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
HonestOne, LOL. Reps for that bit about missing Aunty Em.

Cantabridgienne, I think what may happen is that the question of why people live where they do, why some move and others stay where they are, etc., can get complicated. Maybe a lot of factors, such as people moving where the jobs are, tend to balance things out across the country. Then when there's one factor that's more a matter of personal tendencies, that may be the one consideration that does not balance so well across the country, and so tends to skew the demographics from place to place.

Bostonian, I'm having difficulty coming up with three women's colleges. There's Simmons. If you're including the whole metro area you can add Wellesley. After that, I'm having trouble coming up with a third. I dunno, is Wheelock all girls?
Emmanuel on Brookline right across from Simmons.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:16 AM

Ah. Didn't realize Emmanuel was all girls. Thanks for the response.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Ah. Didn't realize Emmanuel was all girls. Thanks for the response.
I used to walk from Park Drive down Boylston/Brookline every day to BWH. One could not help but notice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or