U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:52 AM

234 posts, read 520,603 times

Advertisements

Keep that commute in mind- if I was moving to this area I would definitely base a lot of my decision around location for commuting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 09:31 AM

40 posts, read 117,506 times
I think Lincoln would fit the bill. It is more quiet and "woodsy", but with amazing location and easy commute to Boston. Also Belmont, Concord, Wayland are close by. I live in Belmont, and many friends I have, moved from Belmont and live happily in Lincoln. School has small number of students, is well regarded, and I have yet to meet someone who dislikes living there. It is well to do, well run, liberal, and well educated community with tight-knit, small town feel. Check it out.

Also agree with Winchester and Lexington. Belmont is interesting too, but with some recent budget problems I am hesitant to recommend.

Best of Luck!!

Old 02-02-2011, 09:33 AM

160 posts, read 467,813 times
Hopefully, someone who lives in Lexington and has some experience with the schools will chime in.

A very close friend of mine's son goes to Fiske and they love the school. My understanding is that the districting includes the wealthiest section of the town. I am not sure if or how that effects the money that gets allocated to the school.

Our broker mentioned that most people settle into a district and then end up preferring their school over the others. That has been my experience in my current town.
Bowman's test scores are a little lower than the other schools (at least last year) we were told because they house the special needs students and that skews the results (not sure the truth to that..). That would not be a deterrent for me at all. Estabrook is a little further out from from the center by 128 and we were seeing more houses we liked in that district with more land. We are a family of 5 and our budget is in the low 7s which is a little dicey with Lexington. We are starting to expand our search to other towns for that reason I think you should be ok there with your budget.

Honestly, the Lexington schools are so highly rated that it really makes no difference to me which district we would end up in.

Best of luck!

Old 02-02-2011, 10:06 AM

925 posts, read 2,286,365 times
For project-based learning Concord may be a good bet.
The Official Site of Concord, MA
Concord Public Schools & Concord Carlisle High School District

Old 02-02-2011, 08:59 PM

4,053 posts, read 4,432,558 times
For inner suburbs, consider Wellesley, Newton or Brookline. For outer suburbs, consider Sharon, Sudbury, Acton, Lexington or Concord. Sharon has a very high Jewish population.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:36 PM

13 posts, read 54,573 times
I am interested in relocating as well with children and probably within 2 years. 2 of the 3 are special needs (Asperger's and ADD), so along with great schools, I need great special ed too. I've heard that both Sharon and Medfield have programs specific to these needs...has anyone else had experience with this? I am not in a position to move to Marblehead, Wellesley or Brookline, and the Swampscott schools have gone downhill fast, so the South Shore is more of interest to me (I'm from Winthrop, pretty much metro Boston and the schools are dismal).

Also, I've read on various boards other than this, that Sharon is quite wealthy, but when researching real estate, I've found you can find a decent cape or ranch for 400K and under, which for such a school system is very reasonable. The same cannot be said for what I've found researching Needham, Wellesley, Brookline or Westwood.

Anyone know why this must be the case or is it just the reputation because of the large professional population and somewhat higher taxes? I know many doctors live there due to proximity to RI Hospital, as my sister and law is one and considered it for that reason. But she stressed how good of a deal it is to live there even at the high end, compared to say, Newton or Jamaica Plain, where houses run well into the millions.

I am not at all wealthy but am looking for the best bang for my buck, so to speak, when buying...

Old 02-07-2011, 05:37 AM

1,859 posts, read 4,242,046 times
Every so often threads pop up on City-Data where someone queries: Thinking of moving to Sharon but I am not Jewish, will I be welcomed?

Sharon has always been a predominantly Jewish community where religious beliefs truly permeate the culture of the town. It would seem though that the town no longer has the reputation of being religiously insular and while I am not saying that religion is any less important, it would seem that people of many different religious affiliations have discovered Sharon and have gotten over the long held idea that it was a town that was for those of the Jewish faith only.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:49 PM

2,954 posts, read 10,800,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudestmonkey View Post
I don't have direct experience with Newton Public, others here might know more. However, I have to say that as someone who had no experience with Newton I was really pleasantly surprised with how friendly and welcoming everybody was- people and families that I met and even just walking down the street or frequenting restaurants in Newton Center! I didn't really have many preconceived notions about Newton, but I have to say that I may have pegged it as being more pretentious/snobby/unwelcoming and that was not the case at all from my point of view. Now when I'm in Hingham everybody asks me (casually) if I live in Hingham and when I tell them no then they stop talking to me. The best reaction was when I went to an open house at a Hingham preschool and told them I wasn't from Hingham- haha. Hingham does have great schools, the ocean and the commuter boat goes directly to the financial district, which is great, but it's not diverse at all.

Newton would be high on my list of recommendations too. I've been familiar with Newton for a long time, but just moved here two months ago after living in Belmont, and in New York before that (though I'm originally from the Boston area). It's got a bit of everything (well, almost). A lot professionals and a pretty sizeable blue-collar population that's been living in Newton for generations. There are a lot of beautiful (and huge) houses selling in the millions, and then there are multi-family houses with smaller yards. Each neighborhood (they call them "villages") has its own personality, and there are a bunch of downtown areas within Newton.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the elementary schools although test scores will be lower at Lincoln-Eliot and perhaps a couple of other ones that are in less affluent parts of town. Lower doesn't mean low, and it doesn't mean even those schools are bad schools.

One issue with Newton schools is that a lot of the buildings are older (Newton North H.S. is the obvious exception-they just opened a massive new facility in September). I like old stuff, but some people relocating from more "modern" parts of the country are taken aback.

With respect to commuting, there's the commuter rail in the northern part of Newton (Auburndale, W. Newton, Newtonville), which offers regular rush hour service, but runs much more sporadically at other times. It's about 20 mins from South Station. The D branch of the Green Line subway runs across Newton farther south and makes about 7 stops in town. That service runs more regularly than commuter rail, but takes longer. It can easily be 45 mins on a cramped trolley to Park Street in Boston. Newton also offers express buses, particularly from the northern half. Again, they're fast but the schedule is geared to regular commuting hours. Many of them stop in Newton Corner in the NE corner of town.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:06 PM

12,845 posts, read 24,492,913 times
If I wanted a more Jewish environment rather than less, I'd race to Newton. Not Wellesley, an old WASPy holdout. I don't think there is any particular bigotry, etc., in any of the affluent towns mentioned, but I do understand the sense of a significant Jewish presence in a community, and it would certainly be nice to have neighbors and other kids who go to the same Hebrew classes or services, etc.
I am not Jewish, grew up in a majorly Jewish suburb in New Jersey, and find I miss an ineffable sense of a Jewish community. Best wishes on your move.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,214 times
Im from Warwick , Rhode Island , a next door neighbor to Mass. One word Norwood Mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or