U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 01:35 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,369,416 times

Advertisements

So I watched the Boston condo episode in JP and Charlestown. Are these nice areas? Can a parent with a teenager get a nice 3 BR in these areas for under 750,000? They lokked nice on TV but I've heard iffy stuff about both places
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 09:08 AM

2,954 posts, read 10,798,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I've wondered many times how many of the people who were on that show pre-recession ended up losing their homes. It always amazes me how they will have set a limit on how high they can go, the realtor will show them a house $50,000 over their budget, and then at the end, they go, "Well, we chose the house with the big back yard that was over our budget," and they show them living there months later, happy as clams and without a care in the world. Of course, I realize that this is TV, but still, just once, wouldn't you like it to end like this:

(four months later): "Well, we realize now that we bit off more than we can chew. We are already getting behind on our payments, and the train station behind us that we thought would be convenient to live by is actually really, really loud and well-lit at all hours of the night and day and we can't get any sleep."

Uh-uh. Not on HGTV, where every day is sunny and every homebuyer is happy, happy, happy!
I did see one show on HGTV (something like "Sell This House!") where a couple with a young baby bought a giant new house in some Denver exurb before they even listed their house in Denver.

The realtor told them that, because the market had come down, they would have to list the house at less than they bought it for in 2004. They, of course, refused and carried two mortgages for a few months. Then they rented the old house to college kids who totally trashed it ("beach party" indoors, they had to rip out the carpet there was so much sand).

It cost them over $20,000 to carry that mortgage for the year, and they only brought in $3,000 in rent from the tenants. The repairs to the house cost $2,500 more than the security deposit they'd taken. They still refused to lower the asking price, despite being shown evidence of comparables. They acted insulted every time the realtor brought up the subject ("How can people offer so little for this house? I mean, when we brought our daughter home from the hospital, we brought her to this house."). They didn't want to hear that nobody was going to pay and extra 50 grand because of that, when they could get essentially the same house for a better price two blocks away.

The show ended with them finding new (hopefully more responsible) tenants and still refusing to go down more than 5% on the asking price. It was just sad to watch, but they put on a clinic on how not to handle real estate.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:14 AM

2,954 posts, read 10,798,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
So I watched the Boston condo episode in JP and Charlestown. Are these nice areas? Can a parent with a teenager get a nice 3 BR in these areas for under 750,000? They lokked nice on TV but I've heard iffy stuff about both places
Both are nice urban areas within the city of Boston that have some more iffy sub-sections. I don't track the market super-closely, but I'd imagine 750K would be more than sufficient, at least for JP. The gentrified parts of Charlestown are pretty expensive because of the proximity to downtown Boston, but JP's only 15-20 minutes on the Orange line.

In Charlestown, closer to downtown is more sought after and Medford St is a bit more sketchy. In JP, the high-end area is "Pondside" (west of Centre St near Jamaica Pond, but there are many nice blocks between Centre St and the Orange line tracks. Sumner Hill (near Revere St, Greenough Avenue) is beautiful. The area up by Jackson Square, Hyde Square, Eggleston Square is grittier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or