U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,104 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! A few heading over to your beautiful country from Ireland for a few months this summer(MAY-SEPT) to live the American way for a bit.
Was wondering does anybody be able to recommend some good fraternities that would be suitable for outgoing and fun Irish students? Although it says MIT we would consider other areas and universities in the city.
Any help would be great!!Thanks Bye

Last edited by mangled; 02-09-2011 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: More info
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 11:46 PM

8,185 posts, read 21,737,838 times
No, I don't. If I remember correctly, all of MITs frats are on the other side of the Charles (i.e., in Boston, not Cambridge).

Old 02-11-2011, 12:17 AM

5,757 posts, read 13,320,646 times
I'm not sure you're looking in the right place. To my knowledge, frat houses don't usually offer accomodation to the general public, but only to people associated with each frat.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:16 AM

5,680 posts, read 5,010,551 times
They used to, actually. Not sure if they still do. But back when I was in college, Some friends and I lived in an MIT frat house for the summer. We were neither MIT students nor frat members (or men).

Old 02-12-2011, 02:08 AM

5,757 posts, read 13,320,646 times
You learn something new every day. I'm assuming they do (or did) this to make money, taking advantage of the fact that the houses will be largely unoccupied by members over the summer, so there's room to rent out space.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:12 AM

3,404 posts, read 7,250,918 times
Zeta Beta Tau is in Brookline/Brighton, its an MIT frat. The only one I know of. Having lived in that area, its a big party area, you can just walk up and down the streets and find multiple open house parties, if thats what your looking for. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Old 02-12-2011, 07:50 AM
miu

16,469 posts, read 33,412,913 times
I worked with some Irish girls one summer. Most of them sublet apartments in the Dorchester area near the Irish pubs. They did their partying at the pubs. Otherwise, three of them originally tried to get a sublet in Allston or Brighton, and when the landlord found out that they were from Ireland, he wouldn't let them stay. Something about not wanting Irish there... but I think that it was more than they were college age and he didn't want to have tenants having parties in his buildings AND possibly trashing the place and them returning to Ireland without paying for the damages. He just didn't want young irresponsible foreign nationals that couldn't be held accountable for their actions.

I worked with these girls about three years ago. I was surprised at the prejudice against them subletting in Allston as I'd never heard of that happening before. And I hadn't heard of it since. This thread brought back old memories...

Old 02-12-2011, 07:53 AM

1,377 posts, read 2,194,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
They used to, actually. Not sure if they still do. But back when I was in college, Some friends and I lived in an MIT frat house for the summer. We were neither MIT students nor frat members (or men).
Well that pretty much explains why they allowed you and your friends to shack up.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:58 AM

425 posts, read 1,677,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Just because you stayed there doesn't mean you were technically allowed to. I knew plenty of people who crashed with their friends in their dorm rooms when they weren't taking any classes and didn't have an assigned room. I also knew plenty of people in the Army who would have people staying with them who weren't even in the Army.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:38 AM

5,680 posts, read 5,010,551 times
I sublet the room for the summer and about half of the other people there were also subletters, the rest being fraternity members. While I didn't personally research the bylaws of the fraternity, it seemed like they allowed subletters. We weren't exactly just "crashing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston