U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 04:26 PM

925 posts, read 2,295,230 times

Advertisements

kdjack, The problem is that the drive time can vary quite a bit. I live not far from Ashland. Sometimes I can drive to Cambridge in less than an hour but sometimes the traffic is horrible & it's well over an hour. Commuting from Hopkinton you'd have the same issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 09:22 PM

12 posts, read 18,606 times
I have friends in Ashland (typical suburban family, stay at home mom, 2.5 kids, they love it) and it seem to be me that most people work in the 128 or 495 corridor, not in Boston.

Boston feels pretty far away from Ashland although if you drive it without traffic, you realize it's not. It's trying to do it at rush hour that kills you. Also, be prepared to drive everywhere. Your kids can take their bikes over hills and dales but not to the corner store for mlik.

I guess if you are going straight downtown on the train and not doing anything else, it's kind of doable. But any transfers start adding on minutes and pushing you into the >1 hour commute.

Don't forget the EZRide shuttle between North Station and MIT. That may help out with a North Station based commute.

Charles River Transportation Management Association

Old 02-12-2011, 01:20 AM

5,763 posts, read 13,372,169 times
The reason I said that I'd prefer public transit from Metro West is that it would be a more relaxing way to travel than driving. In addition to the point that has been made about how bad traffic can be when driving in from the west, the situation is even worse if you're going to Cambridge rather than downtown Boston. Either you're going to do a stretch on 128, which can have its own traffic headaches, or you're going to have to spend some time on local streets moving from Boston over to Cambridge and through Cambridge. Even though using public transit might take just about as long a time, I'd rather avoid the stress of driving through the traffic you'd have to deal with to get from Metro West to Cambridge. As I said earlier, though, a driving commute can be done. Just be prepared for dealing with a lot of bad traffic.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:08 AM

105 posts, read 287,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
The reason I said that I'd prefer public transit from Metro West is that it would be a more relaxing way to travel than driving. In addition to the point that has been made about how bad traffic can be when driving in from the west, the situation is even worse if you're going to Cambridge rather than downtown Boston. Either you're going to do a stretch on 128, which can have its own traffic headaches, or you're going to have to spend some time on local streets moving from Boston over to Cambridge and through Cambridge. Even though using public transit might take just about as long a time, I'd rather avoid the stress of driving through the traffic you'd have to deal with to get from Metro West to Cambridge. As I said earlier, though, a driving commute can be done. Just be prepared for dealing with a lot of bad traffic.
Thanks for that. I'm thinking I have to have my husband actually do the drive to figure that out. He's convinced that driving is easier. I would think he could sit back and read the paper or deal with email or something on the train. But as he's the one doing it, he'll have to decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or