Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:32 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times

Advertisements

If so, how did you get used to the weather?

Was there an adjustment period for you, were you miserable?

Is it mandatory to fly somewhere tropical a few times a year to preserve mental health?

Can one drive a honda civic in the snow?

Can you drive at a normal speed on the highways in the winter or it it too dangerous?
I would like to be able to take a road trip in the middle of winter to Florida.

Did you get really sick because of the weather change?

How do you keep from catching colds?

Did you meet new people easily?

Thanks.

I grew up in Boston, and loved it. I never wanted to leave but I did for family reasons. I have been living in a sub-tropical climate for 4 years and I'm considering moving back to Boston for my education to gain more career opportunities.

I have so many questions, most of which I cannot think of right now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 07:39 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,438 times
I plan on moving to Boston as well from a southern state (though not as Southern as you it seems). I'm interested in hearing an answer from others as well.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:37 PM

28 posts, read 155,150 times
I moved to the Boston area from north Florida in 2002.

If so, how did you get used to the weather? Was there an adjustment period for you, were you miserable?

I adjusted fine to the weather. Most days I'm not miserable. On an average winter day when the high is in the 20s/30s/40s and its sunny/cloudy/flurries without too much wind, I'm fine. Days when I'm not so happy involve snow shoveling, ice scraping, lows in single digits/below zero, numbing winds, and/or horrendous commutes. But those days are not typical, even in a bad winter like this. People will endlessly complain about those bad days. It gives everybody something to talk about. I have a flexible enough job that I can just stay home during bad storms to avoid the possibility of a bad commute.

The biggest adjustment is the length of the winter and the shortness of the days. Most of the real winter weather takes place between mid December and early March, with the possibility of some days in January and February being brutally cold (i.e, lows close to or below zero). However, to me, the short daylight hours in November and early December makes that time feel wintery too even though its not that cold and there's usually not too much snow.

Also, in summer, there can be several days of hot and/or humid weather, and I've never had central A/C up here, so those days can be a bummer. Sure there's beaches and lakes, but I eventually have to come home to a hot apartment with just window A/C units and fans. Such heat and humidity does not happen every summer day, but it does happen.

Is it mandatory to fly somewhere tropical a few times a year to preserve mental health?

No. I think it's important to stay active during the winter to preserve mental health. Perhaps winter sports (e.g., skiing), indoor sports (e.g, volleyball), working out at gym, etc. I see some runners and cyclists out there in the winter. Just got to avoid the ice.

Yes, at least in the Boston metro area where they usually do a pretty good job of plowing the roads. My wife had an '88 Civic hatchback from 2002 until last winter. We retired it and replaced it with a Honda Fit.

However, we try to avoid driving during major snow storms because the traffic can get really bad. Best bet is to work from home if you can swing that.

Can you drive at a normal speed on the highways in the winter or it it too dangerous?

If it's during a big snow storm, I don't go above about 25 - 30 mph on the interstate. I see some people going faster, but most people seem to be going more my speed. As previously mentioned, there's a good chance for bad traffic during winter storms.

No.

I take no extra precautions and don't seem to catch them anymore than I did in Florida.

Not really. We've ended up making most of our friends through work. I've never really become friendly with neighbors or anything.

That's just my opinion & experiences. I like the four seasons. I just wish that I could take a month of winter and give it to spring. There's definitely people out there that hate New England winter weather and either move away or just stay put and be miserable.

Last edited by merwin101; 02-19-2011 at 08:56 PM..

Old 02-19-2011, 10:49 PM

55 posts, read 203,623 times
If so, how did you get used to the weather?

I'll give you my perspective as a transplant from Cali since 1994. You just accept the weather here for what it is as a fact of life whether you like it or not, like death and taxes. Even in Cali when it's 70 degree, you still spend all daylight hours (8am-6pm) commuting and working anyway. You go back to your climate-controlled home at night to eat, watch tv, sleep, and open your garage to go to work again the next day; nothing different from Cali. In Boston, the fall foliage is spectacular, the first winter snow is beautiful, the spring tulips are gorgeous, the green lawn on my acre of land is soothing. The cold and snow in Jan/Feb suxs but it is what it is.

No. If you have no friends or relatives here, looking at the falling snow do make you feel miserable and yearning for warmer climate.

No, but you're a quick drive to NYC, DC, Montreal, Toronto or a quick flight to Europe, Florida, Cancun, Bahamas, Carribean. I've been to Montreal 15x, Cancun 20x, Carribean 10x, Florida 15x, NYC 15x, among a few others. In Cali it's always the crappy beach of Cabos and overrated beach of Hawaii...Zzzzz. I'll really miss the many cheap and quick vacation destinations from the east coast if I should ever leave here.

Yes, but you shouldn't unless you must. Even then, you'll probably can't get out of your parking spot in the snow.

Yes, simply follow traffic pattern and use your best judgement.

Sure you can. Stop by NYC, DC, AC, Atlanta on the way there. It's freezing and snowy everywhere this year though.

No. No more often than what I get in Cali.

Mild one every year. Major one every three years.

No. Bostonians in general aren't really friendly. They're not bad or anything...they just keep it to themselves. Go to the suburb of Atlanta and the people are much more laidback and friendlier. You get the same cold feeling stepping into Boston Airport in comparison to Atlanta Airport, where service is superior and workers are all smiles.

Last edited by joebloe; 02-19-2011 at 10:58 PM..

Old 02-19-2011, 11:19 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Six years ago, my boyfriend moved up from Florida to be with me. He likes the winter, and it helps to have a good winter jacket and a set of thermal underwear. I don't think that he will ever return to Florida as it's too hot and humid in the summer months. He also likes the culture up here better. If he were to move again, NC is a possibility since once of his best friends is there.

Honda Civics are great in the snow, just get a set of good snow tires. I've lived in MA and owned a Honda Civic for most of my adult life. Even with an AWD car, you should have snow tires on in the winter. Otherwise, my boyfriend is fine in his RWD Volvo 240 wagon with snows on. And a manual transmission car is better in snow than an automatic transmission car.

If you are coming back to Boston for more education, then you should do fine making friends. Another good way of making real friends is through work or find a team sport to join. I'd say making friends at bars and clubs would be difficult since most people go to those places with friends and not to meet new people.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:31 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
Okay, these posts are giving me hope, Thank you

When I moved to Miami, I was so miserable the first year. I guess I'm just a bit wary now because of that.

I was extremely lucky to land an awesome job (which is rare down here) on the beach, and I evolved and started enjoying it down here.

I have been so ready to move back to Boston, but now that its getting closer, I have all of a sudden become a bit nervous. I have family up there which is great, but since I have never lived in Boston as an adult, I just want to know what I'm getting myself into.

I lived in Boston only as a child, troubled teen, and independant 17 year old who struggled to pay rent, had 2-3 jobs at a time, and a mouse infested apartment that gave me anxiety issues for the span of my lease.

When I moved to Miami, and grew up a bit more, I found it easy to support myseld down here bartending and doing some freelance modeling. Modeling down here is not like modeling in NYC because you don't have to be that good looking. Bars hire "models" to spend a couple hours there or even look into agencies to find female bartenders.

Its nice, but once I want to start doing internships and working in my desired field(s), well, lets just say Miami isn't the best place for an aspiring professional.

I have always prefered the culture in Boston. The people I have become friends with from the North are more loyal, and the ones down here are nice but a bit fickle and many of them have moved back to more "stable" cities.

I'm so excited to go back but I know its going to be so expensive buying winter clothes, paying for school, mandatory health insurance, etc.

Schools down here are so cheap, FIU is half the price of UMASS Boston but I know I can make a lot more $ in Boston bartending and after college.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:22 AM

51 posts, read 120,412 times
A quick bit of information about the whole "catching colds" part.
Going outside—with or without a wet head—is one of the best things you can do to prevent catching a cold in the winter time. Actually being cold has nothing to do with your risk of catching a cold. Colds are caused by viruses or bacteria which are more often spread in the winter because of close contact from everyone being indoors.” That’s right, spending time outdoors can make you less susceptible to those nasty germs.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:31 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Buying winter clothes doesn't have to break the bank. There are plenty of inexpensive options at the thrift shops and on eBay. You don't need to buy a brand new North Face jacket to survive the cold. You probably can get some really nice used winter gear in the thrift shops in Florida. Many northerners move down to Florida and then clean out their closets when then figure out what's no longer needed.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:30 AM

18 posts, read 32,029 times
Hi Pear! Seen you in the Miami threads, I'm a subscriber to Boston ones from having gone to grad school there (BC, go Eagles!). Good luck with applications etc-- we loved Boston for the history and culture and sports. Going to school you'll have a built-in social network there for you. Boston as a city isn't the most open-armed, but give it a year and it will definitely have grown on you.

It's a great town to go to school in, and there's more there beyond the collegey parts of town: TONS of little towns around Boston to visit, the Cape, Cape Anne, trips to NYC... and parts of Boston that you'll only get to know if you go out to find them.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:44 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,763 times
[quote=Pear Martini;17945916]If so, how did you get used to the weather?

We are from FLorida and love it hear. Got tired of heat and cold is a nice change.

Snow took a little getting used to, but put on a scarf and drop the
temp!

Is it mandatory to fly somewhere tropical a few times a year to preserve mental health? We like to travel period, but going somewhere warm in winter was a nice change - even thogh we do like the cold.

Can one drive a honda civic in the snow? Not sure, but we have 2 sports cars and drive them, just slowly.

Can you drive at a normal speed on the highways in the winter or it it too dangerous? I drive slow, but I see others going fast - seems like it could be dangerous.

Would not advise driving, not unless you like sitting for 20+ hours. Would recommend yo fly and then rent a car.

Did you get really sick because of the weather change? No, sleeping with a humidifer seems to help.

How do you keep from catching colds? See previous q.

Did you meet new people easily? Not so much, some at work, or at the local sports bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston