Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2007, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 52,061 times

Advertisements

Wow, there are so many choices! Yikes. My husband is interviewing at Harvard, and we're pretty sure a move is in our future. WE love Boston the city, but know nothing about all the towns in the surrounding area! Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Here's what we're looking for:

*good schools (we've got two young boys)
*nice community feel (we'd love to be in walking distance to a town center with shops and things to do)
*nice green space
*a decent commute (the school is near Fenway Park)
*single family home with at least 2000+ square feet for less than 600K
*fairly close to city

I think those are the major things we want. The little research I've done so far points me to Watertown, Newton, Brookline and Arlington, but I hate to put too much stock in online research! WE're hoping to narrow down the town choices and take a trip to scout houses.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 12:29 PM

80 posts, read 477,477 times
Based on your price range, I would recommend Arlington. Great community, good schools (although Newton and Brookline schools are better), and the Minuteman Bike trail goes through the city. You should be able to find something within walking distance to Arlington Center or the Arlington Heights shopping area, both have a variety of good restaurants and shopping. However, I am not sure how long it would take to get to Fenway compared to your other choices. Also, Belmont may be another option for you.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:48 AM

Thanks! Arlington definitely sounds great on paper, so I can't wait to check it out in person. It's a big plus to be so close in, even if the commute is a little longer.

Does anyone have any good online real estate broker recommendations? WE've been looking at listings at boston.com, which seems to have great info, but don't want to leave any stone unturned.Thanks!

Old 07-11-2007, 01:16 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
Brookline and Newton wouldn't be in your price range. Look at the towns along Route 2 (so you don't have to cross a bridge over the Charles to get into Cambridge) like Arlington or Belmont (both have town centers), although there would be only a few homes here that fit your criteria and within your price range. Belmont town center has commuter rail into Boston if that matters to you, but Arlington has no rail service -- just buses.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:47 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,707 times
If you like a town, just look really hard. $600K will easily get you a 3-bedroom house in many "GREAT" communities and 4 bed in "good" communities. You may need to spend some time and energy fixing a place up. Many of the houses may be older than you or your husband.

There is no right answer......

Just remember the important factors in real estate are ... location location location.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:42 PM

6 posts, read 42,977 times
Brookline Village is great. Brookline has great schools, great parks, jump on the mbta D train on the green line and you are in Fenway in 5-10 minutes. The commute to Harvard square..better to drive.. but pretty easy commute. Pretty liberal community. Very diverse in all aspects. I would love to live there but can't afford it. I think you could get a 3 bedroom for $600

Old 07-22-2007, 02:46 PM

Thanks, everyone! We're heading up next weekend for the interview and to check out some houses....man, these things tend to happen quickly, don't they?? I have a feeling we're really going to like Arlington, but still plan on checking out the other towns suggested. I'll try to post a "review" for anyone else in a similar boat who knows nothing about Boston's outlying areas, but it could take a while if we find ourselves in the middle of getting ready to move!

Old 07-23-2007, 01:03 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCer View Post
Thanks, everyone! We're heading up next weekend for the interview and to check out some houses....man, these things tend to happen quickly, don't they?? I have a feeling we're really going to like Arlington, but still plan on checking out the other towns suggested. I'll try to post a "review" for anyone else in a similar boat who knows nothing about Boston's outlying areas, but it could take a while if we find ourselves in the middle of getting ready to move!
We'll be looking forward to your "review" of our suburbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston