U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 06:19 PM

648 posts, read 1,900,711 times

Advertisements

Hi. Has anyone out there ever driven from the Boston area to Disney World? We are thinking of making this drive late August with the kids. Any advice regarding how long it took, where to stay enroute etc.. would be appreciated. And most importantly, are we nuts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 11:21 PM

166 posts, read 451,029 times
I find that driving from Boston to FL is the most boring drive that you can possibly do. 95 especially once you are out of MD is just a total yawnfest. Your big attraction is South Of The Border where Pedro resides and it's not even worth taking a chance on blowing a bulb for your directional and getting off the exit. To get to Orlando from Boston, you are looking at a little over 24 hours of drive time. I've made the trip quite a few times over the years, I find that just biting the bullet and driving nonstop to get it over with as fast as you can is the best approach. Maybe others have found something worthwhile to do along the way but I haven't. I did stop at Myrtle Beach once on the way home and spent a couple days there but it's not exactly mid route to stop at. I did get to witness Hurricane Hugo while I was staying in an Ocean Front property and it was really cool!

Old 07-23-2007, 12:16 AM

3,730 posts, read 10,895,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
Hi. Has anyone out there ever driven from the Boston area to Disney World? We are thinking of making this drive late August with the kids. Any advice regarding how long it took, where to stay enroute etc.. would be appreciated. And most importantly, are we nuts?
cape cod to fayetvillve, n.c. with 2 dog, then on to tampa the sleep inn.
check out trip advisors. i had 80 more miles to go from Boston. pick maybe N.C. for one stop, even Jacksonville. join aaa and get a trip pac. I would say in 2 and 1 half days. i had dogs the comfort inn and sleep inn was my bed and dogs also. they were happy. they were clean, and o k I do think it took me 12 hrs and 12 hrs to Tampa. therefore maybe 36 hrs.
you also could check out cheap air fairs? however I would say based on my trip I got to Tampa it 2 days. pushing in with the N.C. stop, and Tampa. cape cod is added on 80 miles. tampa to olando is 1hr and 30 min.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:55 AM

57 posts, read 169,358 times
We drove to Orlando with 6 year old twins from NH and it was the best time.

We went in April, it was beautiful after we got past NJ.

We took our time driving down. Stayed one night in Virginia. We didn't prebook a hotel in Virginia, just found a place when it got late. The next day we made it to Orlando around midnight?

We stopped a few times along the trip down, at a restaurant and a rest area so that the kids could run around a bit.

We rented a DVD player from Rent a Center for a week that plugged into the cigarette lighter and bought a couple of video's. The kids watched movies in the car. They also brought along some books, coloring stuff and toys.

We had a good time driving down and I even drove almost the whole way. We talked, joked and laughed.

We drove back in 24 hours, drove straight through from Florida to Mass before we finally had to pull over to sleep for an hour. We left Orlando at about 9 am and were back to NH by about 8:30 the next morning.

We mapped our route by mapquest.

Good luck and have fun

Old 07-23-2007, 09:28 AM

2,927 posts, read 4,660,683 times
Don't use I-95 unless you plan on making many stops for the children and don't mind sitting in traffic while playing car-games, etc.. If you and your husband plan on switching driving duties to plow through the whole thing in 1 day, then I suggest finding an alternate route like I-84 to I-81 to I-77 and pick up I-95 again in SC. This adds 100 miles, but the scenery is much nicer (especially through the Shenandoah Valley in VA) and you won't have to drive through NYC, Philly, and DC.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:38 AM

2,927 posts, read 4,660,683 times
Look at it this way -- let's say you put 1400 miles on your car. That's conservatively about $350 worth of gas and maintenance at 25 cents per mile. You also have another $300 for hotel and cheap meals for 4 if you plan on doing this in 2 days and 1 night. Now double that for the drive home. That's $1300 plus 4 days of your life in exchange for ~$2000 for plane tickets plus a car rental for a week.

If you have time on your side, I'd say go for the traditional family vacation in a station wagon and a roof-top travel pack. It will create memories that you'll be talking about for years to come. If you and your husband need to get back to work and would prefer to minimize travel time, then hop on the plane.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:38 PM

166 posts, read 451,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollys0822 View Post
We drove to Orlando with 6 year old twins from NH and it was the best time.

We went in April, it was beautiful after we got past NJ.
WOW! I don't see anything beautiful about the drive once you get past MD. I am just curious, have you ever driven any place else besides driving south? I have driven through 48 states and I love nothing more than a good road trip. My daughter and I just drove 11 thousand miles and had the time of our lives out on the road. We brought our Dirt Bikes with us and rode in a ton of different area's (Tahoe, The Oregon Dunes, The Black Hills in SD and The Singing Sandhill on rt 50 in NV, etc....) If we were going to FL, we would have flown. lol! For real, I hate that drive.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:52 PM

57 posts, read 266,925 times
the drive is boring and have done it many times not sure why you need a map as you just stay on one road called 95 south, can't get lost really

can you

like what was said once you pass the north east the drive isn';t too bad, non traffic really, no tolls etc

beware of speeding though, believe me

Old 07-24-2007, 05:09 PM

648 posts, read 1,900,711 times
Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, we were looking to recreate the kind of road trips my husband and I remember as kids. It probably be cheaper to fly. We just like the idea of not being at the mercy of the airports. Ideally we would take a 2 week vacation and take our time. Seems like a lot of mixed reviews on the drive. We will decide soon enough which route to take. Happy travels!

Old 07-24-2007, 05:14 PM

57 posts, read 266,925 times
I found a detour through the smoky mountains, gatlinburg, then maggie valley then take 81 is a nice drive indeed

try that you should enjoy that trip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston