U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 03:00 PM

8 posts, read 13,221 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are thinking about moving to Boston area, my wife will be going to Boston University Medical School.

We are looking for a nice place to move (apartment) with access to public transportation (we don’t mind short walk to the train station) and with access to daycare.

Please suggest us the best neighborhood.

Thanks so much for your reply....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 03:54 PM

324 posts, read 899,286 times
If I were going to Med School, I'd want to live quite close to school so it would be easy to get there for classes, study groups, etc.

BU Medical, unlike the BU main campus, isn't particularly close to any subway stations, so for public transport you should look at bus routes, which you can find at mbta.com

Lots of people at BU Med live in Jamaica Plain, but I might look into Cambridge somewhere along Mass Ave because then she could take the #1 Bus which stops right near the Med School.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:49 PM

55 posts, read 173,770 times
I attended the BU Medical complex for four years so know this area well.

I don't recommend Jamaica Plain because it takes too long via public transportation. I looked at a few places here but backed out for this reason.

Anywhere near Mass Ave. from Central Square to the BU Medical is good. There's an express bus during commute hour in addition to regular bus going along Mass. Ave that stops right in front of BMC.

Andrew Square in South Boston has a regular bus and express bus that take you directly to BU Medical. The area feels like the hood but it is safe. I spent a year here.

JFK/Umass red subway line has a bus that reaches BU Medical. Harbor Point Complex has quite a few BU medical/dental residents living there. It's luxury condos mixed with government housing recipients so it can get noisy during summer nite depending on where your rental is. I spent a month here.

Chinatown/downtown is good because there's a bus and the Silver T that take you directly to BMC. I spent a year here.

The Copley area is good since there's a bus that drop you off right in front of BMC.

The most convenient is the Harrison Court right across the street to the Medical Center but extremely pricey. There are lots of condos in the South End area a block or two around the Medical Center area that is easy walking distance. Fifteen years ago when I lived in this area, it was extremely ghetto and scary to walk at night but things have improved drastically. The ridiculous high price of real estates must have pushed out all the unsavory characters.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:30 PM

549 posts, read 1,802,046 times
Some of these locations aren't really very child friendly in terms of social opportunities, child centered services, parks, playgrounds, fresh air spaces. I lived in Cambridge, north of Harvard Square and also near Inman Square, with a small child and it worked out okay. You might have to balance convenient commute against your child's age specific needs.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:36 PM

55 posts, read 173,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post
Some of these locations aren't really very child friendly in terms of social opportunities, child centered services, parks, playgrounds, fresh air spaces. I lived in Cambridge, north of Harvard Square and also near Inman Square, with a small child and it worked out okay. You might have to balance convenient commute against your child's age specific needs.
I agree most of these aren't very child friendly. Unfortunately, BU Medical is in the most inconvenient location not near a T for easy access to the Malden or Quincy suburb.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:11 AM

5,763 posts, read 13,338,761 times
I'm unfamiliar with most bus routes, so I can't be sure of the convenience of commuting from the locations suggested. I agree with Teachertype that some areas of Cambridge could be better for a child socially than some other places suggested.

If your child is old enough for schools to be an issue, I would suggest that if the commute by public transit from either Newton or Brookline is at all workable, you may want to look very closely at those towns. Those are the two closest areas that are family kinds of towns and also have first-rate schools.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:15 AM

549 posts, read 1,802,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloe View Post

There are lots of condos in the South End area a block or two around the Medical Center area that is easy walking distance.
That's where I'd be looking, the gentrified South End or the Fenway, but off hand I can't think of much to support parenting there.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:59 PM

158 posts, read 456,412 times
South End is very diverse. I agree you can find child friendly apartments close to BU Med, but they're expensive, and its still the city.

South End from Washington Street south is considered SOWA, which isn't suitable. Some people may assume it is a gay party enclave, but younger gays have been priced out, and its relatively quiet. The gay community is older and quieter. There are a few rowdy spots, but not many. Along Mass Ave there can be a seedier and younger element.

But the north side of the south end between Columbus and Saint Botolph is really nice, quiet too. And the section between Tremont and Columbus is nice too, especially the eastern end toward Appleton Street. Tremont to Washington is a mixed bag. Below Washington isnt suitable for kids.

Otherwise, I'd look at the bus schedules from South Boston. Don't be thrown by the stereotypes. Its actually a great place for kids. There are two projects on the far west side, but the rest of southie is fine with parks, beaches and many quiet streets.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:19 PM

234 posts, read 520,844 times
Will you child be in school? Public? Private?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or