Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 01:42 AM

5 posts, read 13,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aea View Post
Beverly has three stations; very easy access to North Station, then switch to Red Line. Can be done door-to-door in 50 minutes (includes walk to and from train).
Is this true? I didn't think the Red Line went to North Station. I thought it was Green then Red to Cambridge? If so, then that extra jump between green and red is a killer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 04:48 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,267,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson13 View Post
Is this true? I didn't think the Red Line went to North Station. I thought it was Green then Red to Cambridge? If so, then that extra jump between green and red is a killer.
Yeah, I don't think it's quite true. Some trains from Beverly center go express; those are a bit more than 30 mins to North Station. Add in the time getting to the train in Beverly and the two different subway lines and there's no way it's 50 mins door-to-door to Harvard Square. For the trains that don't go express from Beverly, it's 40 mins just on the commuter train.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:08 PM

324 posts, read 1,085,360 times
To get just from North Station to Harvard Square would be pushing 25/30 minutes (North Station to Park street on the Green Line, then switch to the Red Line to Harvard Square). So, add that on to any travel time to North Station.

I hate to be a commuting grinch....but you're looking at more than 30 minutes for at least one of you!

Old 04-10-2011, 07:48 PM
aea

13 posts, read 31,093 times
Hi, aea here.

There are three stations in Beverly--Beverly Depot (the "main" station), Montserrat, North Beverly. Schedules can vary, but basically having three stops means all of Beverly has easy access to Noth Station/Boston. Quite correct of some to note change from North Station to Green then Red Line en route to Harvard Square (and reverse). (I have done it in 50 minutes, but you have to be pretty focused on just-the-journey--no stops for the paper or Starbucks. Depends on your hassle tolerance and your personal "hustle" factor.)

Did anyone mention driving to Alewife and catching the Red Line? ...Since my time, but people do commute by car to Alewife, park there, and then pick up the Red Line (and reverse). Would not be my favorite way to do the double commute, but definitely possible.

Try looking at Winchester. Sort of the forgotten suburb--used to be pretty pricey, but there are a few affordable houses. Very pretty smallish town; easy access for both Cambridge and Beverly if both drive.

One thing to keep in mind is the cost of car insurance in MA--high compared to other states/regions; also varies by city vs. suburb--cities obviously higher.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:09 AM

5 posts, read 13,163 times
For those who come by this thread later, we decided to live in Arlington. After visiting Somerville and Cambridge, we found the former was too loud and urban, while we were priced out of the latter. Arlington has great access to the T, while affording us the piece and quiet we have been desperately yearning. Thank-you all for your advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston