Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:54 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times

Advertisements

Okay but again, that's not necessarily a typical night out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 08:12 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Okay but again, that's not necessarily a typical night out.
Well that's all the more reason why they'd probably enjoy a town like Watertown or Melrose more than Boston proper. You can walk down to local restobar and have a nice couple of rounds, talk with friends, get to know people, have some nice food, watch some sports, without paying too much and without all the hassle of trying to go out in Boston. I'm just saying that if they're looking for the same kind of crazy parties and debaucherous nights on the town like you get in Dallas, El Paso, and other places I've been in Texas, it's just not going to happen in Boston.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:29 PM

158 posts, read 545,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
That sounds like a night out at some cheesy Faneuill Hall place. It's certainly not the norm for everyone. Wait in line? Pay a $25 cover (where was this?)? Yeah, not so much.

I'm not arguing that MA doesn't have some weird alcohol laws, though. At least you can get a Blood Mary if you show up to brunch at 11:45 now.
Agreed.

Sorry, but I have a hard time believing he is a native Bostonian, but he did admit he isn't much of a partier.

Boston's pub culture is legendary. Its a great drinking city. Neighborhood bars come few and far between in other states including Texas. Trips to Buffalo Wild Wings are considered a night out in a lot of places.

Other than a few cities like New Orleans (open container) and NYC (4:00 last call) Boston is on par with most cities with respect to liquor laws. The one thing that stands out is that there are no happy hours in Boston. If you have a special, you have to run it a whole week.

But drinking is accepted as part of the culture in Boston. You have to be a real *sshole for cops or proprietors to bother you. I spent time in Texas and was harassed three seperate times by cops for nothing. Texas doesnt have Protective Custody laws. Being intoxicated in public is a misdemeanor.

I travelled around, an in my opinion, Boston is a great drinking city. Austin has this reputation, but I spent two months there and it doens't match up.

Most places just have one area, dowtowns. I cant see someone complaining about cabs in Boston. Boston is one of the most compact cities in he country. Cheap and quick. Plus you can just walk, take the "T". I dont get that criticism at all. Trying to party in spawling cities like Dallas, LA and Atlanta is much tougher.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:56 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter10 View Post
But I'm just worried that I only got the tourist viewpoint and not the resident.
You probably didn't. Most tourists never see the "real" Boston. Not that theres no natives living downtown, Allston or Brighton...there are but there were minorities in our own city. If you want see and interact with "locals" go to Southie, Dorchester, JP, Roslindale, West Roxbury. etc. Most of Boston is not the "city". But typically not what the tourists ever see. The other complaint most transplants I talk to have is that they never feel like they "fit in" and I'm sure they don't. I lived in Boston my whole life (JP, Roslindale, W Roxbury, Hyde Park) up until 2 years ago. If I were to move to what we call "the other side" Dorchester, Southie, Charlstown etc. I wouldn't feel at home and I would also be spotted in 2 seconds flat as the the guy not from the neighborhood. Were screwy like that.

Quote:
Pretty much what will make or break it is the job opportunities and fitting in socially.

Let me know what you think. Any info helps. Thanks!
Again as far as fitting in, move to a heavily transplanted area, not that you have too but might make it easier. You should also consider VA, (were I live now) Not the North, Not really the South, busy, good job market and cheap. But I Will say this, As good as this place is, and even though its better than Boston on paper, I will at some point move back because thats just were I belong and "fit in". VA, MD sounds like a better fit for you and your husband. IMO

Old 03-11-2011, 07:32 PM

21 posts, read 45,670 times
Okay, some stuff sounds like it isn't all that great (referring to the bars and alcohol), but I don't think you have an idea about where in Texas I'm located. My University is in a smaller town on the outskirts of Amarillo, as many other Universities are outside of the main city, and it's in a county that's DRY. Yes, dry. Meaning no alcohol sold anywhere anytime. Thankfully, I now live in city limits of Amarillo since I graduated and can drive down the street to get something, but most liquor places close at 9pm. There's only one that I know of that stays open later and I wouldn't get caught in that part of town at that time, especially being a 23 year old woman. As for the smoking ban…I WISH Texas had that. New Mexico does and I love going to bars there, but here, it's so bad. I can't even enjoy dancing or drinking. That stuff about banning anything that isn't quite 'PC' is stupid though.

But I LOVE to go out and have a good time. Some nights that means hard core bar hopping or clubbing and other nights it means an awesome cafe with great live music. I'm not a 'partier' per say. I just like to enjoy anything life throws at me at the time.

@snatale1
Thanks for the info. It made me curious about something though...seems like the area is pretty segregated. Is that what you were saying?

Old 03-11-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukec View Post
Sorry, but I have a hard time believing he is a native Bostonian, but he did admit he isn't much of a partier.

Boston's pub culture is legendary.
Pub culture, yes. Crazy chicks ripping their clothes off drunk and spraying each other down with the keg tap while the party rages until the sun comes up, no. That was my point. If you're from Texas when you think about "going out clubbing" that's probably the kind of stuff you get in your head. I have a hard time believing you've ever even been to a party in Boston if you think its "Pub culture" is anything even remotely close to that.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter10 View Post
Thanks for the info. It made me curious about something though...seems like the area is pretty segregated. Is that what you were saying?
It's not segregated in the way that 1950's Alabama was segregated, but just like every other major city in the world, it's neighborhoods do attempt to retain their ethnic identities and can sometimes be unfriendly to newbies, but all of that's mostly in the past.

I used to date a Turkish woman who lived on the Newton/Watertown line which has the highest Armenian population in the country. She went into a salon one day and the guy working there was Armenian and when she told him that she was Turkish she was afraid he'd throw her out or something but they ended up talking and having a big laugh about how seriously people take that crap "back home" and she's been going back there ever since to get her hair cut. Just an example.

I know I shouldn't do this, but I'm going to assume from what I know about you so far that you're white or white hispanic, so the only places you'll really be flat out not wanted are Roxbury, Mattapan, and some parts of Dorchester. Chances are you're probably not going to be looking there anyway and won't ever have any reason to venture to those places, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:13 PM

158 posts, read 545,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
Pub culture, yes. Crazy chicks ripping their clothes off drunk and spraying each other down with the keg tap while the party rages until the sun comes up, no. That was my point. If you're from Texas when you think about "going out clubbing" that's probably the kind of stuff you get in your head. I have a hard time believing you've ever even been to a party in Boston if you think its "Pub culture" is anything even remotely close to that.
Yeah, they're called college and parties. I've been to plenty of parties like that in my time --- all around Boston, when I was younger. From what I gather the poster has a husband and works for a living. I dont think she is leaving Amarillo to see crazy chicks spraying themselves down with kegs.

Plus, like other people have mentioned repeatedly, Boston is about the region, not just the city. I've been to plenty of crazy parties in Boston, and in the ski resorts, and at the beaches, Newport, Nantucket, party houses where the party rages until the sun comes up. I'm sorry you had a bad experience in Boston. But Boston is one of the biggest college cities in the country. How does it not have crazy parties?

But if someone wants to go out and do things, and not just go to raving to dawn with college kids, I could name dozens of neighborhoods with cafes, restaurants, Irish pubs, sports bars, where people socialize, around Boston from Fenway to Allston Rock City to Central Square, to the Bullfinch Triangle to SOWA to Back Bay to Kenmore Square to Davis Square to Fort Point, and all over the city, where in many other cities there may be a couple of areas.

Example is Saint Paddy's - next week

You could go crazy like a lot of people do, maybe catch the Dropkick Murphy's legendary annual Saint Paddy's shows and drink all day and night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALH9afb4r2s

You could go bar hopping at all the pubs (my preference):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9HJF...eature=related

Or you could do something without booze and maybe go people watching and catch some parades.

And after Saint Paddy's we have Patriot's Day with Marathon Monday and Celts and Bruins playoffs to celebrate drink and be merry, and then opeing day at Fenway. Boston is not as stuffy as some make it seem.

Last edited by lukec; 03-11-2011 at 08:31 PM..

Old 03-12-2011, 12:21 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
About nightlife, I guess whether it seems good depends on what you're used to and what you prefer. Sounds as if spending time in Amarillo means that what you're used to won't come close to comparing to Boston, regardless of what kind of wild times there might be in some Texas cities.

As far as what someone prefers, interesting that Lukec talks about Boston's pub culture, because that does seem to be a big focus of nightlife here. I'm not much of a party animal myself, but I've recently discovered a few of the local pubs with live entertainment. My nephew is in a band that's at the level where they're not firmly established and widely known locally but are beginning to get some playing time in smaller venues. I've discovered some of the pubs with live entertainment when going to hear them perform. Cozy like a neighborhood bar, but has live entertainment.

For someone like me who's not a big partier but can still enjoy a night out hoisting a few, that's a nice kind of place. Those who prefer Lansdowne Street might find this kind of place boring, but I would find the big clubs too crowded and bustling. All depends on what you like.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukec View Post
Yeah, they're called college and parties. I've been to plenty of parties like that in my time --- all around Boston, when I was younger.
Well I wasn't blessed with a college education so I guess that's why I missed it. My experience with "partying" in Boston is the overpriced and trying way too hard to be trendy places downtown or on Landsdowne, or the pubs in Eastie where people like my father used to watch the Bruins and complain about work.

Sure if you're in the loop you can probably find a dorm someplace where that kind of stuff happens, but it's not going to be like Dallas or the Fort Worth stockyards where the streets are full all night and it's St. Patty's Day with Dropkick Murphys every weekend. Why can't you understand the distinction I'm trying to make there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston