U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2011, 06:12 PM
 
4 posts, read 12,061 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

The double standards never cease to amaze me.

 
Old 03-06-2011, 06:32 PM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
16,521 posts, read 33,508,682 times
Reputation: 15260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Shockingly, people of color are allowed to live in all neighborhoods, so it looks like you're out of luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
... And it took six responses before this! Kudos Cantabridgienne! The Boston forum never ceases to amaze me.
Eh. There are so many threads in this forum by people looking for diverse neighborhoods to live in.... and only one of these. And the presence of those other threads suggests that there are more predominately white neighborhoods than ones that are very diverse.

But there aren't really any cheap neighborhoods in the Boston area anymore, and the ones that are... are very sketchy and not very white.

Anyway this thread gets a *shrug* from me.
 
Old 03-06-2011, 11:36 PM
 
5,763 posts, read 13,355,977 times
Reputation: 4523
MIU, I agree with giving the thread a *shrug* and Massnative I do think you make a good point that if we're assuming that the OP just wants to avoid being pretty much the only white person in his neighborhood then it's a reasonable factor to consider.

AJ2474, one issue here is the amount of rent you're prepared to pay. It's very low for Boston. Even with roommates you won't have lots and lots of options. Another point to consider is the question of where you plan to work. If you know where you want to work, it's easier to suggest locations where you'd have a convenient commute. For general recommendations without information on your workplace location, I'd add Brighton to the areas that have already been suggested. West of Market St. (Oak Square, Brighton Center) if you want to avoid noisy undergrad student neighborhoods, and east of Market St., especially around Cleveland Circle and anywhere in the blocks either side of Commonwealth Ave., if you want to be around the student party scene.
 
Old 03-07-2011, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Chicago
6,007 posts, read 13,206,700 times
Reputation: 7963
ah hell, I'll play along (not doing much else at this moment besides eating lunch). $475/room is too low for basically any area in and around Boston except for a crap apartment in areas like Mattapan or Malden-basically, areas that are far from majority white. if being in a primarily white neighborhood is that important, then the budget needs to be bumped up by at least 50% more, and more possibly doubled.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-07-2011 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: maybe, maybe not
 
Old 03-07-2011, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Newton, Mass.
2,954 posts, read 10,816,573 times
Reputation: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
ah hell, I'll play along (not doing much else at this moment besides eating lunch). $475/room is too low for basically any area in and around Boston except for a crap apartment in areas like Mattapan or Malden-basically, areas that are far from majority white. if being in a primarily white neighborhood is that important, then the budget needs to be bumped up by at least 50% more, and more possibly doubled.
Depends. I've got a friend who shares a crummy old single family house in Somerville, not far from Porter and Harvard, with 5 roommates (one in the dining room) and they pay under $500 each. The place is decrepit but the price is right.
 
Old 03-07-2011, 05:05 PM
 
5,763 posts, read 13,355,977 times
Reputation: 4523
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
Depends. I've got a friend who shares a crummy old single family house in Somerville, not far from Porter and Harvard, with 5 roommates (one in the dining room) and they pay under $500 each. The place is decrepit but the price is right.
Which shows that the OP's budget will likely require some compromises in any neighborhood with any demographic profile.
 
Old 03-07-2011, 05:51 PM
 
30 posts, read 65,202 times
Reputation: 42
I don't have a problem with it im black and would not want to be in a all white neighborhhod.
 
Old 03-07-2011, 08:43 PM
 
7,093 posts, read 6,755,586 times
Reputation: 4736
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbone View Post
I don't have a problem with it im black and would not want to be in a all white neighborhhod.
Can't agree more. I have no problem living amongst blacks/browns/greens or whatever but considering the wicked world we live in, that doesn't mean no one won't "have a problem" with me being white.
 
Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 PM
 
7,093 posts, read 6,755,586 times
Reputation: 4736
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
one issue here is the amount of rent you're prepared to pay. It's very low for Boston. Even with roommates you won't have lots and lots of options. Another point to consider is the question of where you plan to work. If you know where you want to work, it's easier to suggest locations where you'd have a convenient commute. For general recommendations without information on your workplace location, I'd add Brighton to the areas that have already been suggested. West of Market St. (Oak Square, Brighton Center) if you want to avoid noisy undergrad student neighborhoods, and east of Market St., especially around Cleveland Circle and anywhere in the blocks either side of Commonwealth Ave., if you want to be around the student party scene.
Even in the non-student areas of Brighton you will have student apartments. Doesn't mean you won't find pleasant areas but I would do my homework first, and definitely check it out on a Thursday/Friday night before deciding on a place. Even though Allston/Brighton is not all students, they do drive the rental market there so rents will generally be overinflated with a lot of substandard units. Even Newton will probably have better deals. But like Ogre said, Brighton can be very convenient if you work in DT Boston, Cambridge, etc.
 
Old 03-07-2011, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Chicago
6,007 posts, read 13,206,700 times
Reputation: 7963
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
Depends. I've got a friend who shares a crummy old single family house in Somerville, not far from Porter and Harvard, with 5 roommates (one in the dining room) and they pay under $500 each. The place is decrepit but the price is right.
and how much are utilities? I rented a room in Medford for $400, but the gas bill alone was nearly $150 per person b/c the apartment was so run down. plus, I'm not sure I'd consider that area a white neighborhood. I used to live by there and some plenty of non-whites. remember, there are several major universities nearby where students of all races attend and faculty of all races teach at. of course, the OP made no specifications whatsoever regarding how white the area should be or if there's one race/ethnicity he'd be okay w/ vs another.

cheapest place I ever lived in was when I rented out a living room for $250/month. granted, this was in Mattapan, I was sharing a 3 bedroom/1 bath apartment w/ 7 people, and the heating bill was quite high (not as high as the Medford apartment)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top