U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 11:40 PM

5,757 posts, read 13,320,646 times

Advertisements

Well put, ProudestMonkey. I'm inclined to agree. No reason someone who's white and feels most comfortable where there are plenty of people similar to himself in the neighborhood should be criticized for this while people of other races and ethnicities ask these kinds of questions frequently without this stirring up controversy.

DMV, it's not going to be so easy to find an ALL-white area in Boston, though if we assume the OP wants an area where the population is largely white, this should be easy enough to find. He still needs to know where these areas are, though, because not all sections of Boston are majority-white. I'll agree, though, with those who have said that his biggest challenge is going to be finding housing that fits his budget in any neighborhood in Boston.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:15 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 913,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Cities are rarely majority anything because that's where all the new immigrants are likely to go to find a job quickly. Majority white towns are usually found in rural areas, same as majority black towns which are mostly located in southern states.

At the turn of the century most new immigrants were white, be they Irish or Jewish or Italian. Nowadays, many new immigrants are brown, asian, or black.

When the new immigrants become established in the US and begin to raise children who become Americanized they tend to move further out into the suburbs and maybe some move to rural small towns. The racial make-up of many of America's towns will change in the next few generations from majority white to majority mutt (using Obama's joke). This is a natural progression of US demographics.

At that point, I think it would be very surprising to see any city that was majority white, or even black.

Lists of U.S. cities with non-white majority populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The White City | Newgeography.com
Im not following this logic. The other day I clearly post Boston's Demographic Stats and the percentage of whites were a little over 50%, which is more than half the city my friend. If the percentage is that high, then how hard can it be to find them? I could understand if 10% of Boston was white, but its not its over 50%. Thats like a Black person asking "Where Can I find an affordable Black majority nieghborhood in DC?", which is majority Black just over 50% as well. Now thats logic. Just saying

Last edited by DMV; 03-11-2011 at 09:30 PM..

Old 03-12-2011, 08:15 PM

6,977 posts, read 6,693,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
Im not following this logic. The other day I clearly post Boston's Demographic Stats and the percentage of whites were a little over 50%, which is more than half the city my friend. If the percentage is that high, then how hard can it be to find them? I could understand if 10% of Boston was white, but its not its over 50%. Thats like a Black person asking "Where Can I find an affordable Black majority nieghborhood in DC?", which is majority Black just over 50% as well. Now thats logic. Just saying
There are plenty of white majority areas in Boston. I would say the super majority of South Boston, North End, Charlestown, Back Bay, Beacon Hill, West Roxbury, Roslindale, and probably more than half of Allston/Brighton, Jamaica Plain and Hyde Park are white. And that only covers Boston proper.

On another note I was on craigslist and there were plenty of rooms in the $450-500 range, just as the OP stated. You may have to see a bunch of them but eventually a decent one will be found.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:56 AM

1,030 posts, read 2,011,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2474 View Post
I don't have much in common with people of other races in general so why would I want to live around them? Some diversity can be a good thing but to much is a bad thing and thats whats going on in America right now. I'm sick of liberal hippies trying to make people feel guilty about prefering to be around their own race (unless they are black or hispanic of course) and trying to force diversity on people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Still want to defend this person, renault and Massnative?
Bingo! And all is revealed in the end, as if there was ever any reason to question what was being asked.

Let me add that, after my original comment, yet more people piled on suggesting that - somehow - Cantabridgienne and I are some kind of weirdly misdirected bleeding hearts. I reiterate my original post - even more so! Incredible!

Old 03-14-2011, 12:06 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,011,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
No Offense, but an all White Neighborhood in Boston shouldn't be all that hard to find. Expensive or not.

its BOSTON for crying out loud.

No offense taken, I'm sure. But, you clearly have no idea what Boston is like. Mercifully, what you're talking about as being prototypically Boston (in 1940, I guess) doesn't exist - at least not in the city. It might exist in Carlisle, or Weston, etc., but then our OP won't be finding a $450 apartment in any of those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or