Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:19 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
No Offense, but an all White Neighborhood in Boston shouldn't be all that hard to find. Expensive or not.

its BOSTON for crying out loud.
You've obviously never been there.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:40 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,465 times
Even if you go to the worst least white parts of anyplace in the state of MA (let alone Boston), I can promise you right now you're going to find as much as a seat on a toilet for $450/month, no matter how many roommates you have, that should be priority #1 right there, even before the ethnic makeup of the area.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbone View Post
I don't have a problem with it im black and would not want to be in a all white neighborhhod.
+1 for honesty. I won't lie and say that when I am selecting a place to live I don't factor in race as a criteria. Granted it's not a deal breaker, but I'm not moving to Bed-Stuy anytime soon.

The ironic thing is the last apartment I had in Boston was right on the Kenmore Square/Brookline line down off Beacon St. and my roommate was black.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:56 AM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
Even if you go to the worst least white parts of anyplace in the state of MA (let alone Boston), I can promise you right now you're going to find as much as a seat on a toilet for $450/month, no matter how many roommates you have, that should be priority #1 right there, even before the ethnic makeup of the area.
Maybe I read it wrong, but I thought he meant $450 for his share of the rent and planned to have roommates?

Old 03-10-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Maybe I read it wrong, but I thought he meant $450 for his share of the rent and planned to have roommates?
I'm sure that's exactly what he meant, but I still think it's pretty unrealistic. That would mean it would have to be someplace like Allston/Brighton where they've got those 5 bedroom college ghettos, but even then I don't see it being as low as $450...then again I've been gone from Boston for three years so the rents might have gone down during the crisis, but I can't imagine they've plummeted that much.

That said however, Allston/Brighton might be a good fit and possibly in your price range. It is mostly white, but it's full of punks, skinheads, druggies, and really strange college kids, but there are a lot of areas that are pretty quiet and your roommates would most likely be studying all the time so you wouldn't have to really put up with them very much. Just keep an eye on the homeless guys that hang out outside the McDonald's at Harvard Av/Comm Av. More than once I've been harassed by them for no reason at all and seen them get physical with other people. They're pretty much harmless and just scream at random people to get a rise out of them, but you never know when one of them might snap lol

Old 03-10-2011, 01:53 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
You've obviously never been there.
check the demographics my friend. a little more than half of the City is White.

Boston Demographics.

you see that? over 56% of Boston's Population is White. Thats more than Half of the City my friend. Did you not know that? Boston has always had a white Majority.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
z you see that? over 56% of Boston's Population is White. Thats more than Half of the City my friend. Did you not know that? Boston has always had a white Majority.
Only 56%? Gee, you made it sound like Boston was 90% white.

I'll let you in on a dirty secret: the U.S. of A. is majority white. Therefore, many of it's towns and cities are likely to be majority white. There is nothing unusual, or even racist, about it.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:39 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Only 56%? Gee, you made it sound like Boston was 90% white.

I'll let you in on a dirty secret: the U.S. of A. is majority white. Therefore, many of it's towns and cities are likely to be majority white. There is nothing unusual, or even racist, about it.
Well then sorry for the Misconception my friend, but even if more than half the city is one specific ethnicity one would still think that's an awful lot. What the percentages basically means is that your more than likely to run into a White person than any other ethnicity in Boston. That's all I was saying in my last comment. As for your whole "The US is majority White" comment is in fact true, but then if that's the case why would it even remotely be difficult for one to find a place to live with a white majority weather it be in an affordable area or not?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
As for your whole "The US is majority White" comment is in fact true, but then if that's the case why would it even remotely be difficult for one to find a place to live with a white majority weather it be in an affordable area or not?
Cities are rarely majority anything because that's where all the new immigrants are likely to go to find a job quickly. Majority white towns are usually found in rural areas, same as majority black towns which are mostly located in southern states.

At the turn of the century most new immigrants were white, be they Irish or Jewish or Italian. Nowadays, many new immigrants are brown, asian, or black.

When the new immigrants become established in the US and begin to raise children who become Americanized they tend to move further out into the suburbs and maybe some move to rural small towns. The racial make-up of many of America's towns will change in the next few generations from majority white to majority mutt (using Obama's joke). This is a natural progression of US demographics.

At that point, I think it would be very surprising to see any city that was majority white, or even black.

Lists of U.S. cities with non-white majority populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The White City | Newgeography.com

Old 03-10-2011, 10:13 PM

234 posts, read 629,006 times
I have no idea whether the original poster is being genuine or playing off of the recently revived "black neighborhood" thread- but I agree with the others that have said it's ridiculous that the person looking for a white neighborhood is basically attacked, yet that's not what happened on the "black" thread and I just wrote back to somebody looking to live in a Indian community. Everyone has their own preferences as to who they'd like to live next to and that's why I'm happy to live in a country like this where even if people have opinions that differ extremely from my own, or most of the population, they're free and entitled to have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston