U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:50 AM

163 posts, read 491,394 times

Advertisements

I'm in a similar situation and am looking for the same thing but honestly I have no idea where you're getting $800 as a figure because all the places I've seen online are double that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 05:38 PM

338 posts, read 868,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castlewalls View Post
Hello,

I'm hoping I can get some real help here. My boyfriend and I are moving to MA in June, we'll be lining up jobs beforehand-- me as a nanny and him either in para legal or security. Here's what's going on, I have a car so parking has to exist, he will be using public transportation--bus, train, doesn't matter, just so long as it's within 15 min walk for him to access. We're looking at 1-2 bedroom apartments NO studios, $800 a month and anywhere within 30-45 minutes to Boston.

I don't know the areas well enough to know where to stay away from, and where is safe. I don't want to be afraid to drive home at night or go out at night and come in late. I also don't know all the areas within 30-45 minutes of Boston that fit the price point ($800 is tight, I know, but it is what it is). Heres where we've been looking: Needham, Dedham, Quincy, Roslindale, Medford, Lynn, Somerville, Chelsea, Weymouth, Jamaica Plains.

Can you tell me what areas are within 30-45 min and also where to look--remember I'm in NH so I have to be able to see the apartment before setting up a viewing so newspapers really aren't helpful. I know there are wonderful resources online but the ones I've found haven't been too helpful.

Thank you SO much!
I say GOOD LUCK to you because you're going to have a difficult time finding a place to live with what you're looking to pay rent-wise. Frankly, those places don't exist!! The Boston area is to place to move to when you have a GOOD PAYING JOB and not when you don't. You - without divine intervention - will NOT find an apartment for a $800 a month. It won't happen. Sorry. But that's the truth.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:41 AM

6 posts, read 12,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamworksSKG View Post
What about Arlington down by the Somerville line?
Some of those are on the bus lines that go to Davis Square/Porter Square (Red Line)
You could possibly bike or walk to the Alewife "T" Station too in nice weather or take a cab...???

????

Not sure what you could get for $900 tho

Boston isn't the midwest.

Yes, well I guess it's a good thing I'm not from the Midwest myself then huh? I'm moving from New Hampshire and the preference of being an hour from Boston isn't because of either of our jobs it's just that we would like to be an hour from Boston and my bf has family in NY and would more than likely being going out of Boston to get to NY. $850 is doable if there are some utilities included.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
I'm in a similar situation and am looking for the same thing but honestly I have no idea where you're getting $800 as a figure because all the places I've seen online are double that.

go on craigs list. I've found a ton in the areas I'm looking for for 8-850 a month. Some with heat and hot water included, pictures and great profiles of the places. They're out there. Ive also had a couple realtors tell me they have places in that range available.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:46 AM

Thank you all for the responses. Waltham sounds great-- Lynn is now off our list as is JP. A roommate is not an option--but thanks for the suggestion. We're just trying to keep overhead low, we both know MA is expensive but we've found enough places via craigslist that are in our price range that we feel it's doable. Us wanting to be an hr from Boston is just a preference not a requirement for either of our jobs.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 AM

262 posts, read 844,360 times
Here ya go - Whitman, $725 walk to commuter rail, 25 miles to Boston

One Bedroom Apartment (http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/abo/2271069734.html - broken link)

boston all apartments classifieds "whitman" - craigslist

Old 03-21-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConceivedinKY51 View Post
I say GOOD LUCK to you because you're going to have a difficult time finding a place to live with what you're looking to pay rent-wise. Frankly, those places don't exist!! The Boston area is to place to move to when you have a GOOD PAYING JOB and not when you don't. You - without divine intervention - will NOT find an apartment for a $800 a month. It won't happen. Sorry. But that's the truth.

Well, Im sure you think you're being truthful and honest but We've found places NICE places for 8-850 in NICE AREAS in SEVERAL cities ALL WITHIN AN HOUR OF BOSTON. (I can see why you do the occasional uppercase typing, dramatic effect.. fun stuff). And who said we DIDN'T have jobs?! I said I was going to be a nanny... sounds like a job, and yes, it pays WELL. My boyfriend.. also employed.. good job. Soooo... lets see.. a place for my price point.. check, they DO exist...check. Boston area move with good paying jobs... check. Will it happy....yep. And that my friend, is the truth :- P

Old 03-21-2011, 12:35 PM

5,680 posts, read 5,013,554 times
If you saw it on CraigsList, it MUST be true!

Old 03-21-2011, 04:32 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,529,678 times
Quote:
Well, Im sure you think you're being truthful and honest but We've found places NICE places for 8-850 in NICE AREAS in SEVERAL cities ALL WITHIN AN HOUR OF BOSTON. (I can see why you do the occasional uppercase typing, dramatic effect.. fun stuff). And who said we DIDN'T have jobs?! I said I was going to be a nanny... sounds like a job, and yes, it pays WELL. My boyfriend.. also employed.. good job. Soooo... lets see.. a place for my price point.. check, they DO exist...check. Boston area move with good paying jobs... check. Will it happy....yep. And that my friend, is the truth :- P
Didn't you say you would be looking for a job? There is no guarantee. I could be way off course but if you wish to be a Nanny a lot of towns that could possibly be near your price range are not well to do towns. They are not towns that have a lot of families looking for Nannies. A lot of potential families may also want you very close by..not an hour away.

I am not trying to be a downer, but you also need to be realistic.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:02 PM

338 posts, read 868,625 times
Quote:
go on craigs list. I've found a ton in the areas I'm looking for for 8-850 a month. Some with heat and hot water included, pictures and great profiles of the places. They're out there. Ive also had a couple realtors tell me they have places in that range available.
What cities have you found ANYTHING for $800-850??? There aren't even STUDIOS listed for that little!!! Are you talking about the Boston, MASSACHUSETTS area??? Look right now!! If you find anything below $1100 you've hit the mother lode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or