U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 07:41 AM

4 posts, read 6,909 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Boston where my boyfriend is stationed in Charlestown. I will be attending Boston College so we would like to find an apartment relatively close to both. I currently live in Florida and looking for advice for the best areas to look at. It seems hard to find any apartments around the $800-$900 range. Any thoughts on Framingham?

Last edited by Jbogausc; 03-10-2011 at 08:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 11:30 AM

324 posts, read 898,956 times
how are you planning to commute, by car or by public transport?

Old 03-10-2011, 09:28 PM

234 posts, read 520,671 times
Are you absolutely looking to live alone or willing to do a roommate situation? I wouldn't commute from Framingham. I would think you should be able to find something in Allston/Brighton.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:33 PM

234 posts, read 520,671 times
I just looking on craigslist briefly in Brighton and Allston and there are definitely listings under $1000. You're not going to get the same space you would in Framingham, but I'm the kind of person who would sacrifice space for location.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:28 PM

5,763 posts, read 13,334,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudestmonkey View Post
Are you absolutely looking to live alone or willing to do a roommate situation? I wouldn't commute from Framingham. I would think you should be able to find something in Allston/Brighton.
The commute from Framingham to either B.C. or Charlestown can be done, but it would be a pretty tough commute, especially to Charlestown. How long and involved a commute are either of you willing to tackle?

It sounds as if you're a young adult couple who would probably prefer to avoid areas heavily populated with undergrad students. If that's the case, in Allston/Brighton you'd do best to stay west of Market St. in Brighton. Try looking around Brighton Center and Oak Square.

If you're looking for an area with a good population of young professionals, you may want to consider the area around downtown Waltham, depending on what kind of commute you're willing to do, and the mode of transportation you're looking for. It's a fairly short drive from downtown Waltham to B.C., longer to Charlestown but still better than the drive from Framingham. Public transit to B.C. from Waltham gets to be more of a challenge, though it would be fairly workable to commute to Charlestown, depending on how long a commute your husband would find workable, and how he'd feel about making a transfer.

Cambridge is another possibility, though I'd think you may have fewer rental options in your price range than in Brighton or Waltham. Porter Square is an area you might want to check out, as with Waltham, especially if you're interested in a young professionals kind of area. I hear Inman Square recommended at times, and have seen it mentioned at this forum, but I myself am not highly familiar with the area, so I can't suggest it based on my own knowledge.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:12 AM

I have never visited Boston but I will be in June. As far as the commute he cannot drive being in the navy so he would reasonable access to public transportation. I was planning on commuting to school by car but it sounds like that might be a bad idea? He planned on living alone but probably because we don't know anyone. Thank you so much for all the feedback and i completely forgot about craigslist. I am looking for an easier commute to Charlestown since I will either have to bring him there or he will have to use public transportation

Old 03-11-2011, 11:25 AM

324 posts, read 898,956 times
When you say stationed in Charlestown, I assume you're talking about the Charlestown Navy Yard. I used to work there. The Navy Yard is a short walk (10 minutes) from North Station which is the on the MBTA green line. BC itself is also on the green line, however, taking the green line from BC to North Station will take forever (1 hour) because the green line is SLOW. But, you could live somewhere in the middle, like in Brighton, which is a fun neighborhood, if a bit student-y. The "B" branch of the Green line goes through Brighton, so you can look on the MBTA website and find areas walkable to the T.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:40 PM

Yes he is working on the USS Constitution as his first assignment. I have tried looking online for places in Brighton since it has been recommended by so many people and haven't been able to find too much in our price range. He will probably have an easier time looking because he is up there already but he has been too busy to look.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:25 PM

5,763 posts, read 13,334,745 times
Commuting to B.C. by car from Brighton would be a piece of cake. Commuting to Charlestown by public transit would be more of a challenge, because the commute would involve a couple of transfers, so it would be slow going.

If you would plan to drive to campus, I'd really suggest that you look closely at the vicinity of downtown Waltham. The drive to B.C. would not be quite as quick as it would be from Brighton, but it still shouldn't be bad. From downtown, your husband could catch the commuter train to North Station. From there it's a very quick ride to Charlestown on the orange line. Your husband could also catch the commuter rail from the neighborhood toward the west side of Waltham near Brandeis University, but that's not as convenient an area as downtown for having shopping close at hand.

It may be a challenge to find housing that fits the budget in Cambridge, but areas along the red line (Porter Square, Harvard Sq.) could be good for both commutes if you find something in your price range. It's unfortunate that Cambridge is likely to be somewhat expensive, because areas along the red line would be well positioned to give both of you reasonable commutes. I might consider Cambridge the first choice if you were to luck into something affordable in Cambridge.

I don't know Hyde Park very well, so I don't know how the area near the commuter rail station is in terms of either safety or convenience in the way of local shopping, but if that area is good in regard to those critera, it could be a possibility. Your drive to B.C. would be less convenient than it would from Brighton, but should still be manageable. Your husband could take commuter rail to Back Bay Station, then take the orange line from Back Bay to Charlestown.

Another possibility is to look in Charlestown itself. Charlestown is an old blue-collar enclave which has seen some gentrification in recent years. Outside of the gentrified properties you might find something affordable right in Charlestown. The commute for you would not be the greatest, but should be decent, while it's obviously a good location for your boyfriend's commute.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:03 PM

Not really sure how much I trust craigslist considering my boyfriend just found out one is most likely a scam. He ran into the maintenance man in charge of the building we were enquiring about and he said the pictures were not of any unit in the building and the rent was not $750 a month but $1200. Not to mention that was for a studio. They didn't even have any 1 bedrooms like the man I spoke with claimed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or