U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 10:49 AM

343 posts, read 915,769 times

Advertisements

We are currently renting (Newtonville area), but may be looking to buy a single family home in the coming months. I also may be considering a job that would be located in the Seaport (Fan Pier) area.

What are the best locations (outside Boston proper) to consider for commuting (driving) to Seaport/Fan Pier area? I'll look at towns that are on the commuter rail to South Station, and will consider that. But what are the best commuting towns for driving - coming in west from Pike (Rt 90) or from Rt 93 (either from north or south)? I may have some flexibility to my start and end times so that I can avoid the worst part of the rush hours.

I've heard, and generally experience, that the commute from the west is better than north or south. Would this still be true coming into Seaport area? Route 9 seems to be crazy busy - Should this route be avoided for commuting? (It seems like options for living in Brookline or southern part of Newton would need to rely on Route 9.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 09:41 PM

2,944 posts, read 4,927,263 times
I live in Lynnfield and drive to the Necco Street Garage in the Seaport area 4 days per week. It's typically 45-50 minutes in the morning and 30-40 minutes in the evening. Today I was home in 21 minutes, go figure.

In the morning I go in via Route 1A and the Ted Williams tunnel, it is worth it to me to pay the toll and avoid the traffic on Route 93. Coming home I jump on the Mass Pike connector at the Seaport and get on Route 93 north.

I don't think I would agree that the commute from the West is better. On the contrary, there are more ways in to the city from the North, that has to make the commute from the North more tolerable on most days. The ride from the South Shore is definitely the worst.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:28 AM
miu

16,471 posts, read 33,437,610 times
I live in Newtonville, and when I worked in the Seaport area, I used to commute in via Storrow Drive. Sometimes I would take the SE expressway to the Seaport exit, other times I would cut through Boston. Taking the Mass Pike was the easiest and fastest route, but I hated racking up the toll fees.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:34 PM

343 posts, read 915,769 times
Thank you for the replies. How long did it take you from the Newtonville area - also at what time of day? (I find that leaving a 1/2 hour later in morning can easily add 20-30 minutes to my commute d/t traffic.) Did you catch Storrow Drive after going over Charles Bank Rd to Nonamtum Rd to Storrow?

Old 03-15-2011, 09:42 PM
miu

16,471 posts, read 33,437,610 times
The only time I had to encounter rush hour traffic was in the afternoon. Even in the worst congestion, I would make it from the Watertown Square area to the Seaport area around the World Trade Center via Storrow Drive in 20 minutes. If there was a backup at Leverett Circle, I would get off at the Arlington St. exit and travel down Boylston St. towards the waterfront. I am good about looking far ahead and seeking an alternate route as soon as I see the traffic stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or