U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 02:47 PM

11 posts, read 67,755 times

Advertisements

eevee,

have you ever been to the south end? i knoww thats its all "trendy" now, and there are lots of renovated areas, but you don't live in or around the projects here, so you can't say that you know, ok? i live near the villa victoria, and the kids there carry knives, guns and drugs, and i know this because i have friends from there who have to! lets see you walk through the villa victoria, or cathedral housing projects, or anywhere past mass ave!

Read more: most dangerous sections in Boston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 05:56 PM

5,561 posts, read 8,979,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.johnson View Post
eevee,

have you ever been to the south end? i knoww thats its all "trendy" now, and there are lots of renovated areas, but you don't live in or around the projects here, so you can't say that you know, ok? i live near the villa victoria, and the kids there carry knives, guns and drugs, and i know this because i have friends from there who have to! lets see you walk through the villa victoria, or cathedral housing projects, or anywhere past mass ave!

Read more: most dangerous sections in Boston

makes no sense, but mmmkay...

Old 03-15-2010, 04:47 PM

on march 12th 2010, 6 shots were fired on the corner of West Canton and Tremont St's. made.
on march 9th, a violent assault occurred on East Brookline st. police have one man in custody.
on march 4th, a violent assault occurred on Harrison Avenue.
on march 3rd, a violent assault happened on the corner of East Berkeley and Washington Sts.
on march 2nd, a violent assault occurred on Massachusetts Avenue.
on march 2nd, a violent assault occurred on Camden St.
on march 2nd, a violent assault occurred on Harrison Avenue.
on march 1st, a violent assault occurred on Harrison Avenue.

Look, those are all of the assaults in the month of march in the south end. kay?

Old 03-15-2010, 11:36 PM

87 posts, read 325,517 times
Quote:
on march 12th 2010, 6 shots were fired on the corner of West Canton and Tremont St's. made.
on march 9th, a violent assault occurred on East Brookline st. police have one man in custody.
on march 3rd, a violent assault happened on the corner of East Berkeley and Washington Sts.

Look, those are all of the assaults in the month of march in the south end. kay?
where did you get this from? I didn't witness the assault on March 3rd at the intersection of East Berkeley and Washington st's, but I did see alot of police cars.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:38 PM

5,561 posts, read 8,979,447 times
Quote:

well jeez, when on earth did I say that the South End was a bucolic slice of heaven? please point that out. (I'm also curious as to where these stats came from. can't through out random stats w/o evidence, don'tcha know). you started out on this thread with this quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanjohnson View Post
Look, Boston may not be as bad as other cities, but its obviously not exactly safe. The only real safe areas are Fenway, Back Bay, Downtown, and West Roxbury. The South End, Dorchester, Roxbury, Mission Hill, and Mattapan are what I would stay out of. The South End is nice in parts, but at night it can get very dangerous. There have been high mugging rates, and also there are a fair amount of bad projects and lower income housing for the little neighborhood that it is. Dorchester, for example, has neightborhoods within it! It's huge! Roxbury is very unsafe, and Mattapan is very poor.
and I replied w/ this quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
and what exactly makes Downtown safer than the South End? you talking about the same Downtown where someone got shot in broad daylight? the same Downtown where homeless folks hang out in the Common? no, IMHO, SE is safer than Downtown

folks, just use common sense when working and living in the city. Downtown and many parts of Dorchester and Roxbury are quite fine. Fort Hill is a growing, thriving, popular section of Roxbury and there are many sections in Dorchester like Savin Hill, Neponset, and Lower Mills that are very safe. Roslindale is gentrifying more and more every day, just like JP. I'll agree that Mattapan is very iffy in most parts and is not a location I'd recommend to newbies, but the area of Mattapan off of Cummings Highway and bordering Hyde park are better than the parts off of Blue Hill Ave and has a lot of very well maintained SFHs. gross generalizations like these help no one. again, common sense is needed in ALL areas of Boston and when in doubt, ask folks here for more info
welcome to the city. no locale is 100% safe, but I stand by my opinion that the South End is FAR from the worst Boston has to offer (and I've seen worse stats in the toniest sections of Chicago, so Boston is obviously MUCH safer than some other cities, both larger and smaller). I also stand by my earlier that there are sections of the so-called bad areas that are fine (again, NOT bucolic slices of perfection, but obviously not the middle of a war zone). you obviously haven't been by the sections of Roxbury, Dorchester, Roslindale, and Mission Hill I pointed out in my original response to you. argue all you want, doesn't change that fact. you just seem a bit too short sighted and biased to see this. as a woman, I'd much rather stroll the S.E. late at night than Downtown (yeah sorry, very, very little in the S.E. scares me, other than the prices of those cookies at the gourmet dog bakery). either way, I'd use common street sense regardless. once again, gross generalizations help no one

Old 03-16-2010, 06:47 PM

I totally understand what you're getting at, it's just that I've witnessed things that you would call not safe. 3 shootings, 2 muggings, drug dealing, all since 2006 on my street. Maybe you've been to the nicest parts. Some parts are beautiful. Others not so mucch.

Oh, and also, I got the assault stats from when I googled 'boston crime map' and clicked on the top choice. just type in 'south end' in the adress bar and you'll see.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:48 PM

they don't have the shooting on top but I was there btw

Old 03-27-2010, 05:29 AM

96 posts, read 105,130 times
not to take anyones side but my father is a lawyer and yes if your thinking what does this have to do with anything he goes to many ciminars in herings in other cities across the country and cities he has not been to before and everytime even whene i have gone with him he always manages to engage in a conversation with a couple of people who are police officers and just all around law enforcement and the main fact is that they alway tell him that people only see certain things one way as for the reason of what we see on tv about neigborhoods yes the show the wire and many others are true but even david simon has clealry stated in interviews and press converances that alot of the random long spread out shootngs on the show are nine out of ten not to that extreme there getting viewers interested in just in light from what people in law enforcemnt tell my father on cimanars and what not is that crime rates in different years go down and varee in according to the fbi in statistics in the united states is that most if not almost all killings as of now are hispanic on hispanic and black on black and not to be racist but its the truth in who the hell knows better than the federal goverment as apposed to dealing with every cities police department when they have all of it in the palm of there hand.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:44 AM

660 posts, read 899,892 times
Quote:

Let me guess, all of those Harrison Ave. incidents stem from the notorious PINE STREET INN.

I lived at the PSI for about two weeks, including being shipped out to their sister shelter "Long Island" (what a COMPLETE HELL HOLE!). PSI is a terrible place to be, terrible staff, the aura about that place is SO depressing. NO WONDER residents of that shelter hang out on Harrison Ave. I am not a drug user by any means, but shooting up just HAS to be more pleasurable than hanging around PSI.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:22 PM

5,208 posts, read 3,111,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newintha719 View Post
CTownNative 1st off Cleveland is not one of the top 10 most dangerous, trust! from someone who lived in more then one "GHETTO" N. Minneapolis, 3RD & 17TH (APPLE & EAGLE) ward New Orleans! And I've been to Cleveland "and witch by all means is not a soft city" but can tell you that almost any major metro in the south is more dangerous then Cleveland in the aspect of reality and not city-data.com! And I read alot of your post and it's clear to see your not From no HOOD,and IMO you need to chill out on the rap music and BET, cuz it's mighty "Sponge Bob" of you to try to glorify somethin you apearently know nuthin about, murder ain't coo those are real black & hispanic men dyin out there, have you ever been on the block and seen somebody that was close to you head busted open with his moma screamin and cryin, tryna hold the blood from poorin out his head? Of course you havent! So you need to quit POSIN and live your reality! (15 year old white kid from the burbs)
gotta love tough guys that get emotional on the INTERNET.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston