Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:29 PM

25 posts, read 56,988 times

Advertisements

Let me preface this post by saying that after a week long apartment hunting trip, I'm quickly falling in love with Boston. This post is not meant to insult, offend, or upset anyone...so please take these comments as just humorous observations about your great town.

A little about me: I retired early from the military and have had the pleasure of living in Europe for many years as well as Houston, Orlando, LA, Denver, DC, and a smattering of rural cities. Boston is a special kind of animal and stands on its own in so many ways.

I like cold weather and have lived in places where there were months of snow/ice/freezing weather and actually prefer it over the heat of the south..and it actually snowed last week (YAY!), much to the chagrin of the hotel staff. It was difficult to hide my excitement...the evil stares of the locals got old quick.

People:
I was warned that Bostonians can be rude/cold/distant..etc. What I have found after a week is that they are different from Southerners in that they are practical and to the point (not that there is anything wrong with the Southern hospitality..it's just different). Seriously, there isn't any small talk or forced cheerfulness...they know what they want and expect you to know what you want. Ordering a sandwich at a deli during the lunch hour? Know what you want BEFORE you get to the counter. I LIKE that. There's no chitter chatter...we're here for lunch, let's get to it. It isn't rudeness, it's efficiency.

Same deal on the T. No one is here to be your new best buddy. Sit there, read your newspaper/iPad/research article and be quiet.

I haven't had too much of an issue understanding the natives. But, there have been a few times I had to ask them to repeat it just to ensure I really got what they said. There hasn't been too many comments about my somewhat southern accent, but I've gotten a giggle or two. I'm practicing...Bahston...BAHston...

Apparently there aren't many slender tall females with short blond hair who drive a bright metallic yellow sports cars. Seriously, I have been asked if I'm Russian, Slavic, from Iceland...or just stared at to the point where I waved. My husband thinks it's funny and I've started speaking with a Russian accent just for fun

I've lived in cities where the latest fashion was worn no matter how impractical it was. Not Bostonians! While the majority are well dressed and well groomed, they tend towards the fashions that fit their lifestyle rather than what is "in". This is a town that walks, and they dress accordingly.

Drivers:
I was warned that Boston drivers give no quarter and show no mercy! I've been amazed at how that really hasn't been the case. We've driven about 50 miles a day over the past week looking for an apartment from Wellesley to Watertown, Boston to Brookline, and Arlington to Quincy, and things just aren't as bad as I anticipated. Oh sure, there was a time or two when the GPS said, "Go straight" and that wasn't an option. I hesitated and I was subsequently honked at (and probably sworn at). But, no big deal...I'm learning my way around.

When parallel parking, cars will wait for you (just be quick). Crossing traffic, they will try wait as long as you're not slow about it. Pedestrians and bicyclists are everywhere, so it's best to pretend to be skiing a slalom because there is a bit of dodging and weaving....lanes are somewhat of a suggestion rather than a hard and fast delineation between lanes.

Potholes are an adventure all their own. When it rains I have found it best to avoid ALL puddles because they may very well be an endless pit of death that has devoured dinosaurs, a Mercedes convertible, and several small children. They appear to be a shallow accumulation of water, but you may lose a tire...or the entire car. Hard to tell.

Food:
Not only is there a beautiful diversity of people, but the flavorful blend of cultures means there are so many wonderful places to eat...I fear I will never have a chance to try them all! We've had a wonderful (and inexpensive) meal in China Town, the best pizza in Newton, and an Indian feast in Wellesley.

Service has been an adjustment. Having lived in the south for so long, I'm use to a very attentive wait staff that visits the table several times during the meal. In Boston, you best get everything you want up front because you may not see your waiter until the check comes. It's not a bad thing..but it will take some time to get use to it.

Apartment Hunting:
Take your hand, place it on the door frame, then slam the door shut over and over and over. This is how painful it is. Yes, the cost is about 3 times what we pay in the south (we knew this coming in), but a lot of the places will nickle and dime you...especially for parking spots. It's an adventure to say the least. We have 3 days left to find a place before we have to head home. We're determined to find a place that we can move into in August when we move here permanently. I want to survive with my insanity intact. The good news is that we have several prospects...so there is HOPE!

We'll be back in August, and I really cannot wait. This is town with character, culture and a bit of attitude that says, "We've been here for a few hundred years, and we're not going anywhere."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 10:41 PM

234 posts, read 628,729 times
Welcome! I think most of what you say here is true, other than I think you haven't seen true Boston driving yet.

As somebody who grew up (partially) in the south, there definitely are big cultural differences, only now I notice the differences when I'm in the south as opposed to noticing them up here. In the south people actually yield to oncoming traffic when trying to take a left hand turn on green, it's a phenomenon! Don't stop by somebody's house unannounced around here- it's considered really rude

Old 04-05-2011, 10:50 PM

25 posts, read 56,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudestmonkey View Post
Welcome! I think most of what you say here is true, other than I think you haven't seen true Boston driving yet.

As somebody who grew up (partially) in the south, there definitely are big cultural differences, only now I notice the differences when I'm in the south as opposed to noticing them up here. In the south people actually yield to oncoming traffic when trying to take a left hand turn on green, it's a phenomenon! Don't stop by somebody's house unannounced around here- it's considered really rude
Southern driving is certainly different from Bostonian driving! Merging is a combat sport here..the bravest driver wins!

I learned to drive in German cities and in DC, and I think Boston has a lot in common with those places. That's probably why it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Boston driving reminds me a lot of downtown DC.

But it's a lot more stressful than driving in southern cities. I have to peel my fingers off of the steering wheel when I arrive at my destination, but I'm sure toning my forearms

Old 04-06-2011, 06:01 AM

415 posts, read 1,665,604 times
The whole perception that Bostonians are cold is completely misleading. I lived there for years and met plenty of friendly people and had an absolute blast. The biggest difference are city vs suburban people. People in the suburbs are very 'meat and potato' people who are very traditional. They like stuff a certain way and don't like change. City people are a more into the arts, going out, and trying new things. Both are overall good people, but very different.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:59 AM

837 posts, read 1,224,954 times
Oh, trust me, you truly haven't experienced Boston driving. Let yourself be caught up during rush hour and you'll see what we mean :evil grin:

You're right, OP -- it's more efficiency and urban living than anything else. If you have to do X task at serving Y customers in an allotted period of time, there's really no time for chit-chat other than "Have a great day" or something similar. Whenever I've visited "down South", I'm gobsmacked by the whole overly-friendly concept of service. But then again I'm a native New Englander

Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 AM

170 posts, read 446,471 times
To the OP: your experiences with visiting sound exactly like ours. We were prepared for the worst (even though we had a hunch we'd like it here) and found our visit to be much more pleasant than we expected. We moved here in December and have been having fun getting to know the area.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:47 AM

29 posts, read 74,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectlyHumble View Post
Let me preface this post by saying that after a week long apartment hunting trip, I'm quickly falling in love with Boston. This post is not meant to insult, offend, or upset anyone...so please take these comments as just humorous observations about your great town.

A little about me: I retired early from the military and have had the pleasure of living in Europe for many years as well as Houston, Orlando, LA, Denver, DC, and a smattering of rural cities. Boston is a special kind of animal and stands on its own in so many ways.

I like cold weather and have lived in places where there were months of snow/ice/freezing weather and actually prefer it over the heat of the south..and it actually snowed last week (YAY!), much to the chagrin of the hotel staff. It was difficult to hide my excitement...the evil stares of the locals got old quick.

People:
I was warned that Bostonians can be rude/cold/distant..etc. What I have found after a week is that they are different from Southerners in that they are practical and to the point (not that there is anything wrong with the Southern hospitality..it's just different). Seriously, there isn't any small talk or forced cheerfulness...they know what they want and expect you to know what you want. Ordering a sandwich at a deli during the lunch hour? Know what you want BEFORE you get to the counter. I LIKE that. There's no chitter chatter...we're here for lunch, let's get to it. It isn't rudeness, it's efficiency.

Same deal on the T. No one is here to be your new best buddy. Sit there, read your newspaper/iPad/research article and be quiet.

I haven't had too much of an issue understanding the natives. But, there have been a few times I had to ask them to repeat it just to ensure I really got what they said. There hasn't been too many comments about my somewhat southern accent, but I've gotten a giggle or two. I'm practicing...Bahston...BAHston...

Apparently there aren't many slender tall females with short blond hair who drive a bright metallic yellow sports cars. Seriously, I have been asked if I'm Russian, Slavic, from Iceland...or just stared at to the point where I waved. My husband thinks it's funny and I've started speaking with a Russian accent just for fun

I've lived in cities where the latest fashion was worn no matter how impractical it was. Not Bostonians! While the majority are well dressed and well groomed, they tend towards the fashions that fit their lifestyle rather than what is "in". This is a town that walks, and they dress accordingly.

Drivers:
I was warned that Boston drivers give no quarter and show no mercy! I've been amazed at how that really hasn't been the case. We've driven about 50 miles a day over the past week looking for an apartment from Wellesley to Watertown, Boston to Brookline, and Arlington to Quincy, and things just aren't as bad as I anticipated. Oh sure, there was a time or two when the GPS said, "Go straight" and that wasn't an option. I hesitated and I was subsequently honked at (and probably sworn at). But, no big deal...I'm learning my way around.

When parallel parking, cars will wait for you (just be quick). Crossing traffic, they will try wait as long as you're not slow about it. Pedestrians and bicyclists are everywhere, so it's best to pretend to be skiing a slalom because there is a bit of dodging and weaving....lanes are somewhat of a suggestion rather than a hard and fast delineation between lanes.

Potholes are an adventure all their own. When it rains I have found it best to avoid ALL puddles because they may very well be an endless pit of death that has devoured dinosaurs, a Mercedes convertible, and several small children. They appear to be a shallow accumulation of water, but you may lose a tire...or the entire car. Hard to tell.

Food:
Not only is there a beautiful diversity of people, but the flavorful blend of cultures means there are so many wonderful places to eat...I fear I will never have a chance to try them all! We've had a wonderful (and inexpensive) meal in China Town, the best pizza in Newton, and an Indian feast in Wellesley.

Service has been an adjustment. Having lived in the south for so long, I'm use to a very attentive wait staff that visits the table several times during the meal. In Boston, you best get everything you want up front because you may not see your waiter until the check comes. It's not a bad thing..but it will take some time to get use to it.

Apartment Hunting:
Take your hand, place it on the door frame, then slam the door shut over and over and over. This is how painful it is. Yes, the cost is about 3 times what we pay in the south (we knew this coming in), but a lot of the places will nickle and dime you...especially for parking spots. It's an adventure to say the least. We have 3 days left to find a place before we have to head home. We're determined to find a place that we can move into in August when we move here permanently. I want to survive with my insanity intact. The good news is that we have several prospects...so there is HOPE!

We'll be back in August, and I really cannot wait. This is town with character, culture and a bit of attitude that says, "We've been here for a few hundred years, and we're not going anywhere."

Yep - I am moving from North Carolina and have had much the same experience w r t apartments, drivers, etc. I love Boston / Cambridge area and I really want to live there in a fairly decent pet friendly place with parking facility I haven't lost hope yet, though. BTW, if you have time, there is a shop in Quincy Market that sells a T-shirt listing the "Top Ten things to do in BAHston". It ends with "Pahk the cah in Hahvud Yahd aftuh dahk" and it just lovely.

Good luck in your apartment hunt. Hope you can find one with covered pahking so you do not have to shovel snow off of your cah in wintuh

I am determined to enjoy this beautiful city and everything it offers..

Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
My wife is from Michigan and as far as driving in Boston goes, she is a part of the problem. Conversely, I am from Boston and I drive like a man who has an expensive vase in the backseat.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:28 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectlyHumble View Post

People:

Drivers:

Food:

Apartment Hunting:

What an interesting and - frankly - accurate post. You clearly are very perceptive! And, your generalized view is much more clear than most I've read from "outsiders" here.

I do question a couple of things - tall, slender, dyed blonds are dime a dozen here - particularly in the tony western suburbs. So, I'm surprised you were getting the comments you got - unless those people had ulterior motives

In my experience, Boston pizza is one of the distinct downsides to eating here - I still (after two decades) haven't found a pizza I can wholeheartedly recommend. You should go to Providence once you're here for comparison! You'll see what I mean.

Also, I don't know where one would go to find a substantial number of people with a prototypical Boston accent these days (but I guess you found them); I rarely come across it in my travels (and I live in town). There are a lot of migrants and well-educated locals who wouldn't be caught dead speaking like ... er, um ... a "Kennedy".

I completely agree with you on the driving observations (though you haven't lived until someone unexpectedly decides to change direction on you on a busy street - they will literally pull a u-turn in front of you without a thought.) Boston can't hold a candle to the NY/NJ/CT area for obnoxious driving! People in Boston, for example, understand the concept of a "merge" at a lane narrowing in a way an NYer/NJer never will!

And, you were spot on about the "efficiency" comments related to overall personality. People don't generally go in for idle chit-chat, unless there's an obvious context for it. I guess some people from other parts of the country see that as "rude". I think it's normal (but then I was raised in NE). And, it's a lot more "warm" than what I've typically encountered just about anywhere in Europe, from so-called "warm" Italy to "cold" Britain.

On potholes ... well, they're awful here - but you should probably stay out of any part of Pennsylvania then (Yikes!!!).

Congratulations on your move; I can't wait to migrate to a warmer clime, myself! But then, I'd be one of those people giving you a glare when it snows. Best of luck in finding a nice apartment.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:14 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
Oh, trust me, you truly haven't experienced Boston driving. Let yourself be caught up during rush hour and you'll see what we mean :evil grin:

You're right, OP -- it's more efficiency and urban living than anything else. If you have to do X task at serving Y customers in an allotted period of time, there's really no time for chit-chat other than "Have a great day" or something similar. Whenever I've visited "down South", I'm gobsmacked by the whole overly-friendly concept of service. But then again I'm a native New Englander
+1
You haven't seen REAL driving, I live in VA now and it's sad. (driving) , and yes theres being polite and friendly and wasting time. I live in Richmond so being in the city (with tons of other NE transplants) it moves alot quicker than other areas. But leave this area and you want to kill yourself with how slow everything moves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston