U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 12:55 AM

5,182 posts, read 8,591,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktfhag View Post
Ogre: so if I live in the right area in Waltham, I can bypass going through Porter Sq altogether?
I'm not quite sure what you're asking here. I think maybe you're asking whether you would avoid using or passing through the train station at Porter Sq. if you lived in Waltham. If that's what you're asking, the answer is yes. Waltham is west of Porter Sq., and Concord is even farther west, so in Waltham you're already on the Concord side of Porter Sq.

Again, though, keep in mind that downtown Waltham, while it does have its restaurant scene, a population of young professionals, and an artsy movie theater, is a small area surrounded by suburbia. It might not be the best first choice if you want the city all around you in every direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 05:26 AM

8 posts, read 7,021 times
thx ogre. That's exactly what I meant. So besides Waltham, is there somewhere else that I could look at even farther west?

Old 05-14-2011, 10:55 PM

5,182 posts, read 8,591,358 times
There's not a lot of what you're looking for west of Waltham. Beginning with the next town west of Waltham you start to get into leafy suburbia. The only place between Waltham and Concord that might even be vaguely like the city kind of place you're looking for is Maynard. Maynard is a small town, but more densely populated than the semi-rural towns all around it, and it's got a little bit more going on downtown than other towns in that vicinity. Maynard is still a small town, though, and really is not like a city.

Maynard also does not have commuter rail. You'd have quite a long walk to the train station in South Acton to catch the commuter train to W. Concord. I think that Waltham is really about as far west as you can get along that rail line, and still have convenient access to the train as well as anything sort of resembling city nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston