Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 03:37 PM

4 posts, read 6,286 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am a recent college grad planning to move up to Boston in June or July. I can stay with a family friend at first, but I do want to start renting my own apartment as soon as possible.

I've been reading various threads on this board for a while now and it's been very helpful in narrowing down where I want to be, as well as figuring out how much I will need to spend. I do not have a full-time job just yet, but either way I know I should try to be within walking distance of the T. Most of the jobs I am going after are in the South End/Bay Village/Downtown area, and one is out in Brighton.

I know that I do not want to stray too far out of the city, because I am young and I'd like to be close to the "action," culture and nightlife. I understand that I will need to pay more for this, but to me it's worth it. I will not be bringing a car with me and I am happy to take public transportation.

What I am interested in is both general advice/insight/suggestions and specific apartment buildings that might meet my criteria. I am looking for:

- Under $1200 (that's the very top of my budget, based on the lowest salary I would take)
- A studio (or 1-bedroom, but I know that's pushing it)
- Must have a kitchen with fridge/oven (even a tiny one is fine but I need to be able to cook so I'm not wasting money on takeout)
- Walking distance to bus/T stop
- Safe area!

The neighborhoods I've been looking at are: Fenway/Kenmore, Northeastern/Berklee, South End, Back Bay, and Bay Village. I'm also open to Brookline, as long it's the northeastern area that's closer to the city/T. Having visited Boston multiple times, I know that I am not comfortable with Roxbury/parts of Southie and I feel that Allston may be too far out of the city. I also do not want to venture across the river to Cambridge/Somerville or East Boston.

Any insight would help me greatly. I am very excited about moving to a city I love!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 04:23 PM

613 posts, read 2,307,577 times
Back Bay, South End and Bay Village are going to be expensive. I will venture that Fenway may be your best bet. Although Allston may be fun for you right out of college and many parts of Allston are a pretty similar distance to downtown as the urban parts of Brookline (B line issues aside).

Would you consider a roommate(s)? Most people right out of college here have roommates to help defray the costs. It could be the difference between paying $1200 for a terrible or just blah one bed/studio and $800 or $900 for a pretty nice 2 or 3 bedroom with a roommate(s).

Old 05-10-2011, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the response! I did really like the Fenway area, though I'm not sure if I'll feel the same way during Baseball season, haha. I think I'll keep Allston in mind as well.

I am open to the idea of a roommate... the more I think about it and research it, the more it seems like the most sensible option. However, I'm wary about rooming with strangers. I had a great experience with a random roommate my freshman year of college but I've heard horror stories - I don't know if I'll get that lucky again! I'm working on getting involved with the Boston alumnae chapter of my sorority, and I think I'd be more comfortable finding a roommate through those channels.

I've been told that looking on Craigslist is an idea. Any thoughts?

Old 05-10-2011, 06:29 PM

348 posts, read 850,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferXO View Post
Hello everyone! I am a recent college grad planning to move up to Boston in June or July. I can stay with a family friend at first, but I do want to start renting my own apartment as soon as possible.

I've been reading various threads on this board for a while now and it's been very helpful in narrowing down where I want to be, as well as figuring out how much I will need to spend. I do not have a full-time job just yet, but either way I know I should try to be within walking distance of the T. Most of the jobs I am going after are in the South End/Bay Village/Downtown area, and one is out in Brighton.

I know that I do not want to stray too far out of the city, because I am young and I'd like to be close to the "action," culture and nightlife. I understand that I will need to pay more for this, but to me it's worth it. I will not be bringing a car with me and I am happy to take public transportation.

What I am interested in is both general advice/insight/suggestions and specific apartment buildings that might meet my criteria. I am looking for:

- Under $1200 (that's the very top of my budget, based on the lowest salary I would take)
- A studio (or 1-bedroom, but I know that's pushing it)
- Must have a kitchen with fridge/oven (even a tiny one is fine but I need to be able to cook so I'm not wasting money on takeout)
- Walking distance to bus/T stop
- Safe area!

The neighborhoods I've been looking at are: Fenway/Kenmore, Northeastern/Berklee, South End, Back Bay, and Bay Village. I'm also open to Brookline, as long it's the northeastern area that's closer to the city/T. Having visited Boston multiple times, I know that I am not comfortable with Roxbury/parts of Southie and I feel that Allston may be too far out of the city. I also do not want to venture across the river to Cambridge/Somerville or East Boston.

Any insight would help me greatly. I am very excited about moving to a city I love!
What is the lowest salary that you refer to? Unless you plan on apportioning the vast majority of your income to housing, plan on finding roommates. Also, if you are somehow able to swing an apartment on your own in the areas you are looking in, more often than not you will need to come up with a security deposit and/or last month's rent. Also, I would reconsider Allston as it has a lot of rentals, a lot of people your age, and is not far from Boston. (We all have different versions of relativity .... in terms of Allston, I disagree with you. It isn't far from Boston at all.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:03 PM

It seems to me from reading other topics on here that the Allston area is very student-centric. Yes, it'd be nice to live around people close to my age, but it seems like the general consensus is that that makes that branch of the Green Line a nightmare to ride. Of course, please correct me if I've gotten the wrong impression? I really appreciate all of the input!

Old 05-11-2011, 07:59 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
You might want to expand your horizens and consider looking in Somerville/Cambridge, which are both on the Red Line. Although Cambridge will be more expensive ( do-able with roommates), Somerville might have something in your price range. Newton, although expensive, might have some deals for studios, and would have multiple stops on the Green Line.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:13 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Cambridge and Somerville sound like good options for you. As I mentioned earlier, people have a misconception that all the "action" is in downtown Boston, which really isn't the case. It's not like Downtown is where all the bars/restaurants/shopping is and everything else is the suburbs.

If you did want to live in the city, you might also look into the North End, though you would need a roommate at your price point. I lived in that neighborhood when I was just out of college and it was great.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:00 AM

324 posts, read 1,089,899 times
I would look in Davis Square (Somerville), Central Square (Cambridge), or Fenway. I image you'd be able to find a place you like in those areas. Davis and Central are great because being on the Red line is convenient for getting into downtown Boston. Plus, there is a lot going on in those areas themselves (Bars, restaurants, live music, etc.). I really like the Fenway area though. It's definitely lively during Sox games, but that's part of what makes it fun, IMO!

Old 05-11-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Cambridge and Somerville sound like good options for you. As I mentioned earlier, people have a misconception that all the "action" is in downtown Boston, which really isn't the case. It's not like Downtown is where all the bars/restaurants/shopping is and everything else is the suburbs.

If you did want to live in the city, you might also look into the North End, though you would need a roommate at your price point. I lived in that neighborhood when I was just out of college and it was great.
This is a great point, as I've only ever really explored the Harvard area. I will keep this in mind and take a look around when I go up for interviews! I also hadn't considered the North End, assuming it was out of my price range.

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice! I am thinking my best bet is to stay with my family friend while I get situated/start working. That way I will know for sure how much I can afford to spend on rent, I'll be able to explore different neighborhoods to see what they have to offer, and hopefully be able to nab a great place.

Any general apartment-hunting tips? Being a young female, I certainly don't plan to wander off alone to answer a Craigslist ad... I've been looking on Trulia and finding some nice options as well, but I know I shouldn't judge a place until actually seeing it in person. When I was up there over Thanksgiving, I kind of just roamed the streets around South End/Fenway, taking numbers and jotting down addresses. Also, I've heard mixed opinions about using brokers, what do you all think?

Old 05-11-2011, 03:40 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferXO View Post
This is a great point, as I've only ever really explored the Harvard area. I will keep this in mind and take a look around when I go up for interviews! I also hadn't considered the North End, assuming it was out of my price range.

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice! I am thinking my best bet is to stay with my family friend while I get situated/start working. That way I will know for sure how much I can afford to spend on rent, I'll be able to explore different neighborhoods to see what they have to offer, and hopefully be able to nab a great place.

Any general apartment-hunting tips? Being a young female, I certainly don't plan to wander off alone to answer a Craigslist ad... I've been looking on Trulia and finding some nice options as well, but I know I shouldn't judge a place until actually seeing it in person. When I was up there over Thanksgiving, I kind of just roamed the streets around South End/Fenway, taking numbers and jotting down addresses. Also, I've heard mixed opinions about using brokers, what do you all think?
Use the website "www.boston.com", and check out the rentals by town and price..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston