U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-12-2011, 07:17 PM

1,254 posts, read 3,427,011 times
Default How should you deal with problem neighbors?

I am wondering what is the best way to deal with problem neigbors?

Do you try to reconcile differences by inviting them over for a cookout or something?

Do you just ignore them or try to anyway?

Do you move???

thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 07:18 PM

1,254 posts, read 3,427,011 times
What I mean by problem neighbors is either neighbors who give you a hard time about things, or who you don't know you but always seem to have a problem with you in the neighborhood for one reason or another

Old 05-12-2011, 07:24 PM

1,563 posts, read 1,596,656 times
Please provide an example of their ignorant behavior. Also, are they originally from Massachusetts or transplants?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:53 PM

3,913 posts, read 6,033,203 times
There's a couple on my block who sound like they fit that description. Sometimes they're pleasant as can be, other times watch out! A while back they dropped anonymous notes around the neighborhood signed "XYZ Street Improvement Association" that outlined petty complaints. One household hadn't brought its trash barrels in from the curb soon enough. I was criticized for letting my cat outside without tags and a collar (she's microchipped and known to all.) Etc etc. The husband went so far as to rip ivy from the fence across the street from their house because it was "unsightly." Last I heard, that neighbor had yet to back off threats of legal action.
This kind of people is attention-hungry. What's best to do is deny that which they crave. Nod along while thinking "Yeah, sure, whatever" regardless of what's being said. Realize that you're only one of their victims. (It was no mystery to anyone who'd dropped the "Improvement Association" notes. We all laughed about it and traded stories about the authors.) Since they've already decided to be adversarial, any "olive branch" attempt isn't going to change that. Be glad that the problem is of that kind, not shady comings and goings at their house at all hours or parties that go until sunrise.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:53 PM

259 posts, read 214,608 times
Well I had nosiy neighbors before, if you just knock and politely ask them to lower the volume, they always have. I know I'd rather have someone ask me as a man to man courtesy than call the damn cops.

Now for slobs that's tougher, I mean you think dumping a bunch of your trash in their area would drive the point home but, they're such slobs they barely notice... haven't found a solution for them yet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston