Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:20 PM

613 posts, read 2,307,577 times

Advertisements

I've always thought that Linden is the sketchiest looking street in Allston. I have no idea why it's so dirty. That said, the area around Gardiner is alright. The closer you are to Comm Ave, the "nicer" it is, and the closer you are to Cambridge St, the sketchier. But I don't think it's really all that dangerous, it just looks like it would be.

That said, oh man, I would not want to live there unless I was a BU undergrad who liked to party. Gardiner, Farrington Ave, Pratt - all those side streets are rowdy and college kids will party at all hours on all days. It's the equivalent of living on Frat Row. If you are a heavy sleeper then you may be okay.

Also, I feel like you should be able to find a nice place at an equivalent rent somewhere nearby but on a somewhat quieter street (maybe other side of Comm Ave?). I want to say that the rents are a bit inflated in that Gardiner'/Pratt area because those apartments/houses ARE such a hot commodity for the BU kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 05:51 AM

4 posts, read 16,731 times
Wow, given that I'm a pretty quiet person and basically am studying 95% of the time I'm home, I'd be a huge ****in idiot to move there.

Thanks a lot for all the replies; this has really helped me out, as it would have been complete **** to move there and find all of this out.

Any more input is appreciated.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:39 AM

14,482 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post

A friend from way back sometimes talks of his happy years living on Linden St, "but that was a long time ago" (in other words, when he'd yet to see 25.) Rowdiness definitely can be fun when you're a part of it - I plead the Fifth Amendment. But being assaulted and robbed? Not so much. Much of Allston is a "student slum" in more ways than one. Based on sheer numbers of reported incidents alone it has the highest crime rate in the city, though it's assumed that areas like Roxbury with their far higher incidence of murders hold that dubious distinction. Stay away unless you'd be open to settling on the north side of the turnpike, where the neighborhood could use looking a good deal less shabby but the streets are quiet and safe.
Yeah I was 20 when I lived there and ten cent hot dogs at Fathers First on a hungover Sunday morning was what I considered the high life.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 05-20-2011 at 07:23 AM..

Old 05-20-2011, 11:07 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,283,333 times
My GF lives in that area, I'm up there a lot too.

It's not dangerous. It can be desolate tho, so when walking around, be street-smart.

Of course apts across Comm Ave are much quieter and probably equally priced.

But def not dangerous where you should be worried about being mugged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston