U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-01-2011, 11:51 AM

3 posts, read 3,989 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are thinking of moving to Everett for $$ reasons. I saw some pretty decent houses and the neighborhoods seem to be similar if not better compared to parts of Somerville or Allston. My concern is that we might have problems as gay couple in a predominantly working class area. We are rather quiet in public but we may occasionally kiss or hold hands. Would a gay couple elicit looks in Everett? Any thoughts and suggestions? Are there any neighborhoods in Everett that are more tolerant than others? Thanks!
P.S. We are also considering JP but the prices are just too high.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 12:16 PM

324 posts, read 560,536 times
I hate making generalizations about a whole city, but I think your concerns about Everett are valid. The areas that people generally would think of as particuarly gay friendly also tend to be somewhat pricey (West Somerville, JP, Cambridge, etc.). What about Arlington? Medford?

Old 06-01-2011, 11:55 PM

2,929 posts, read 2,229,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinmarais View Post
We are rather quiet in public but we may occasionally kiss or hold hands.
You really don't expect looks for that, seriously...

Old 06-02-2011, 12:11 PM

334 posts, read 515,671 times
I'm not sure about everett, but i have some gay friends in Malden and they feel it's pretty gay friendly. Again it sort of depends on the neighborhood.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:33 PM

324 posts, read 560,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonmania View Post
I'm not sure about everett, but i have some gay friends in Malden and they feel it's pretty gay friendly. Again it sort of depends on the neighborhood.
I should have mentioned Malden. I also have a gay friend who lives there and has had a good experience.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:54 PM

Thanks! I also kind of like Medford but the only place convenient for commute is Medford Square, and although nice, it looks pricey too. Other areas of M. would involve changing buses and I am concerned that it would take me more than an hour to get to Harvard Sq. or downtown Boston.

As for Malden, do you think commuting from there to Cambridge on the T would make any sense?

Arlington is beautiful, but looks very residential from what I see. We have a tiny budget ($1000 max) so I don't know if we can afford anything but a minimal (if cozy) studio there.

I see ads for very nice 1BRs for that money in Everett and I am wondering if there is something wrong about that (except for the long commute), while in Medford there seem to be very few apartments for rent in general.

Also, are there any bad areas in these places (Everett, Medford, Malden) that one should be aware of?

Old 06-02-2011, 01:58 PM

274 posts, read 80,161 times
I haven't lived in Everett for a few years, and until you asked that question I honestly never thought about whether it was gay friendly or not. I'm not gay, but I've had friends who lived there who were gay, and there were never any problems. My impression is it's like anywhere else - if anyone is going to give you a funny look it's probably going to be the older folks, but the younger people are completely indifferent.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:39 PM

334 posts, read 515,671 times
Malden has an easy commute on the T to Cambridge, and it has some pretty cheap apartments. These all pretty safe places, Malden has some roughish areas, put nothing to be really concerned about.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity12 View Post
I haven't lived in Everett for a few years, and until you asked that question I honestly never thought about whether it was gay friendly or not. I'm not gay, but I've had friends who lived there who were gay, and there were never any problems. My impression is it's like anywhere else - if anyone is going to give you a funny look it's probably going to be the older folks, but the younger people are completely indifferent.
That's really helpful! Do you know how long does it take by bus to Cambridge/Harvard area?

Old 06-03-2011, 10:30 AM

274 posts, read 80,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinmarais View Post
That's really helpful! Do you know how long does it take by bus to Cambridge/Harvard area?
It's kind of hard to say, because it would all depend on your starting point and what bus route you're on, but I think it's probably going to be a combination of bus and train. But here's a cool MBTA tool that helps you route your trip:

MBTA Trip Planner > Find the Best Way to Get to Your Destination

I envy you! I live out of the MBTA area now so I have to have a car to go everywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston