Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2007, 03:49 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times

Advertisements

My husband is an executive recruiter in the Federal Space, as he puts it. We are moving to Ma. next month. He wants to open an office and is convinced that the city, Boston, will draw the most talented people/recruiters. In order to do well, be seen and hire the best, do you have to have an office in Boston or will neighboring areas maybe 10 to 20 miles away in Ma. do just as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 06:45 PM

Oh come on. Any opinions are valued,please?

Old 08-08-2007, 09:06 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
The short answer would be yes, if he can afford the office rents in Boston then it's definitely worth the extra value added. Many larger companies might have a small corporate office in downtown, then have a second larger office that deals w/everything else (customer service, research, etc.) in Waltham or Burlington. If image is everything like in finance or law, then a downtown office is vital to operations. If he will have many out-of-state clients, then office space near the airport is important too.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:41 PM

142 posts, read 660,818 times
Hi again puffle,

I'm no expert here, and I think this is a tough call, in my opinion. I think it depends on his target clientele, and whether he feels it is a necessity to be downtown to make a good impression. I'm not sure exactly who he might consider his competition to be, but some of the major players (Adecco, etc.) don't all have offices downtown. How does he plan to recruit people? Cold calls? Does he have partnering arrangements? Are face-to-face meetings a necessity, or is it more phone communication? The rents downtown can be expensive, something to keep in mind.

Have you narrowed down a town or area to live in? That may help in determining where to set up shop.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjscdn View Post
Hi again puffle,

I'm no expert here, and I think this is a tough call, in my opinion. I think it depends on his target clientele, and whether he feels it is a necessity to be downtown to make a good impression. I'm not sure exactly who he might consider his competition to be, but some of the major players (Adecco, etc.) don't all have offices downtown. How does he plan to recruit people? Cold calls? Does he have partnering arrangements? Are face-to-face meetings a necessity, or is it more phone communication? The rents downtown can be expensive, something to keep in mind.

Have you narrowed down a town or area to live in? That may help in determining where to set up shop.
The office he had before had 20 recruiters and two office managers. Rarely did a client come to the office. Ocassionally, my husband would meet with clients but where the office was located in, a bedroom community, there weren't many people to see.
He is not like Adecco. He only recruites sales executives that sell national security software to the government. These people on an average make about $120-150k without the bonuses. To sum up, no, he would not be meeting with clients in the office much, but the key to being in the city is the quality people he could find to work for him, experienced people. Not that you need all this info, but most of his clients and sales people live in Virginia. Some are in Boston, but he wants to branch out into Hi Tech, Software,Finance and maybe Insurance which is why Boston is good, he says.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
The office he had before had 20 recruiters and two office managers. Rarely did a client come to the office. Ocassionally, my husband would meet with clients but where the office was located in, a bedroom community, there weren't many people to see.
He is not like Adecco. He only recruites sales executives that sell national security software to the government. These people on an average make about $120-150k without the bonuses. To sum up, no, he would not be meeting with clients in the office much, but the key to being in the city is the quality people he could find to work for him, experienced people. Not that you need all this info, but most of his clients and sales people live in Virginia. Some are in Boston, but he wants to branch out into Hi Tech, Software,Finance and maybe Insurance which is why Boston is good, he says.
I work in a High Tech Sales environment, more in a technical capacity, including security software. So, your description helps a bit. From my perspective, I don't think it's mandatory to be downtown. We don't sell to the public sector, but outside of that, we'd be looking for the same people. The recruiters generally don't work in the city. Many, in fact, work from home. It's a virtual world. I'd suggest keeping expenses low, and then look into $$ office sapce after getting established.

Keep us posted..

Old 08-21-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjscdn View Post
I work in a High Tech Sales environment, more in a technical capacity, including security software. So, your description helps a bit. From my perspective, I don't think it's mandatory to be downtown. We don't sell to the public sector, but outside of that, we'd be looking for the same people. The recruiters generally don't work in the city. Many, in fact, work from home. It's a virtual world. I'd suggest keeping expenses low, and then look into $$ office sapce after getting established.

Keep us posted..
Do you know any recruiters personally and do you know any executive recruiters that specialize in the Federal Space? My husband has been looking for a research assistant and a recruiter for a different industry other than federal. If you know anyone that would like to telecommute let me know and I'll tell you his website. Thanks...appreciate your advise.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:18 PM

Sorry Puffle, I cannot help you there. We do not do business in the Federal space. I cannot think of any recruiters off the topof my head whom I could refer to you right now. Nothing wrong with networking; I'll keep it in mind.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:21 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
My personal opinion is to stay out of the city unless you need or really want to be there. There is a business crowd there, but in this case it doesn't seem necessary to be there. Most workers come from outside of Boston anyways, so if they aren't meeting at his your husband's office, it might be easier for many to meet outside the city. Plus you would save money on expenses by staying outside the city.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:42 PM

27 posts, read 111,318 times
Default Hi-Tech corridor (128)

If he wants to branch out to high-tech, it might be helpful to be near or around the 128 high-tech corridor (waltham - burlington area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston