Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 08:14 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,290,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
Maybe visiting Fenway should be mandatory for anyone moving here... It is a really nice stadium that feels like you're stepping into the past. There's even a hand operated stats board. The stadium is cozy and you get a great view from just about anywhere in the park.
This might be the only semi-positive thing you've said about the area on this board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
I think I finally understand Boston after visiting Fenway Park. People seem to want to believe whatever they want and get very threatened when they are challenged by facts or figures. It was a Red Sox vs Yankees game. People were saying nothing but positive things for the Sox players and booing the yankee players. You could not say anything negative about a Sox player, not even that his shirt was dirty after he slid onto base. People here pretty much treat Boston like a giant Sox player. You are just not allowed to say anything negative!
So naturally it follows this.

You find it surprising that Red Sox fans watching a Yankee game at Fenway Park cheer for the Red Sox players and boo the Yankees? Seriously? Boston fans have 100 years' worth of reasons to boo the Yankees. The Yankees do not put Bostonians in an objective mood.

You know, the same thing happens -- in reverse -- at Yankee Stadium.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
With the exception of sports, maybe.
What sports have you been watching lately?

Old 09-13-2011, 11:00 PM

8,012 posts, read 8,194,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
redsox1972 makes a good point, most of northern new england has much more of a laid back vibe than any place I've experienced except maybe colorado.

I what the OP can't handle is the competition. Most (keyword most) people in the boston area are very competitive people. From early ages kids are playing every sport they can fit into their schedule and their parents are pushing for them to win. Parents want their kids in the best schools with the best teachers. They will graduate and go on to the best college they can get into and try to land the best job possible. The fact is, no company on the east coast is gonna hire some laid back person because they need go getters to keep up with the fast paced lifestyle here. Of course parents from anywhere want the best for their kids as well, but no one goes out and does it like people in the northeast. Life is competition, survival of the fittest and I think the northeast embraces this. While people and many other areas sit around and wait for the government to step in and help, the northeast encourages personal responsibility.
Isn't most of the northwest left-wing territory? Your government tit crack wouldn't fly with a hard working right winger from Texas.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:41 AM

19,045 posts, read 25,165,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Isn't most of the northwest left-wing territory? Your government tit crack wouldn't fly with a hard working right winger from Texas.
He's talking about the Northeast.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:23 AM

7,919 posts, read 7,787,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
redsox1972 makes a good point, most of northern new england has much more of a laid back vibe than any place I've experienced except maybe colorado.

I what the OP can't handle is the competition. Most (keyword most) people in the boston area are very competitive people. From early ages kids are playing every sport they can fit into their schedule and their parents are pushing for them to win. Parents want their kids in the best schools with the best teachers. They will graduate and go on to the best college they can get into and try to land the best job possible. The fact is, no company on the east coast is gonna hire some laid back person because they need go getters to keep up with the fast paced lifestyle here. Of course parents from anywhere want the best for their kids as well, but no one goes out and does it like people in the northeast. Life is competition, survival of the fittest and I think the northeast embraces this. While people and many other areas sit around and wait for the government to step in and help, the northeast encourages personal responsibility.
Um....no

Certainly the pace of life can be argued to be fast but due to what...nothing is a hurry these days. Miss tv? DVR man it's only 2011...maybe back in the day when dinner took hours and if you missed your tv show you couldn't record.

Playing every sport they can? Soccer mom's was a marketing term just like "nascar dads" it didn't really exist.

Life is competition certainly but that explains why many leave the state. Many employers frankly don't care about what is the "best" school if it puts them in debt. If a job requires someone to have zero debt then what is the recourse? Ivy league isn't that big of a thing anymore. Before the internet sure but since information itself is largely free and easy to get it nullifies paying excessive amounts.

I grew up with three people that became medical doctors in the boston metro area. They earned their education here but they ALL left (NYU, CT and John Hopkins). Why would they move? Well that competition you say is pointless if you can move somewhere else with a degree and relax.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UnYG5zOkgE...ity_cities.PNG

Do you actually think that any city before boston on that list is bad?

Having a degree means you are much more likely to be able to move vs someone without one. If someone racks up educational debt why would they live in the boston area afterward if they can pay less for a place to live and get more somewhere else? A degree stands out more in other places than it does in the Boston metro area.

A bachelors degree is now the de facto baseline. It is what a high school diploma was 40+ years ago. Making arguments to go further doesn't always work....especially when prices keep going down..not up. Have you heard about that mansion in Newton selling for 700K.

Few people realistically want to retire to the northeast so the tendency we'll see of boomers selling things off to retire won't stop any time soon.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
If someone racks up educational debt why would they live in the boston area afterward if they can pay less for a place to live and get more somewhere else?

Because they like the Boston area. I've got a couple of degrees and educational debt. Yeah, it's expensive here, but I'd leave the country entirely before I'd live in any of the cheaper parts of the U.S.

Maybe it's because I lived in New York for a long time, but I'm perfectly relaxed here. No need to move out for that. As for retirement, my older relatives and most of their neighbors/friends aren't going anywhere as they reach their 70s. My local Dunkies is full of retirees holding court all day long. Not everyone dumps family, friends and a lifetime's worth of memories and for weather and low taxes.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:04 PM

8 posts, read 23,701 times
Have you ever lived here??? Its not an awesome place. I used to smoke cigarettes, its even worse. We have a 120% tariff on cigarettes, some of the most expensive land in the world, a crazy cost of living, one of the harshest winters in the US, constant traffic congestion, a horrible overall infrastructure, and the list goes on. With all of this we managed to produce some of the most vital technological and civil advancements the world has ever seen. Needles to say we as a region have gone through some **** and came out on top.

So, yes, we are the best.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:59 AM

132 posts, read 495,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorazine View Post
Have you ever lived here??? Its not an awesome place. I used to smoke cigarettes, its even worse. We have a 120% tariff on cigarettes, some of the most expensive land in the world, a crazy cost of living, one of the harshest winters in the US, constant traffic congestion, a horrible overall infrastructure, and the list goes on.
This is probably the most realistic view I've ever seen of Boston. The best single word I would use to describe Boston is "struggle".

I just got back from Atlanta, GA. Things are so easy over there. I did do some driving and there is a LOT of bumper to bumper traffic there. But for the most part, when you put on your blinker, people will get out of your way and let you in. Maybe it was b/c of the rental SUV? Strangers sat and chatted with me for hours on end at the bar. I felt this ease and relaxation I haven't felt since I've been in Boston. I envy the people living in Atlanta. My only complaint was that you had to pay for parking many places, even though there was plenty of it.

Last edited by gilwood; 09-29-2011 at 08:11 AM..

Old 11-23-2011, 06:28 AM

9 posts, read 13,273 times
Bostoner don't like it when you challenge their conformistic point of view based purely in groupthink.

Don't Argue with Irrational Colleagues

It's frustrating to watch a colleague behave irrationally, whether it's refusing to follow a policy or failing to recognize a good idea. But people have reasons for doing things, even if you don't fully understand. Next time a colleague can't consider a completely reasonable suggestion, try these two things.
  1. Don't insist on rationality. It will only further frustrate you and make the other person defensive. No matter how many well-constructed arguments you offer, you won't progress until you understand your colleague's point of view.
  2. Figure out the other person's rationale. Resistance to logic always comes from somewhere. Find out what is motivating your coworker, whether it's conscious or unconscious. Then you can address the underlying issues.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:18 AM

14,000 posts, read 14,961,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretentious View Post
Bostoner don't like it when you challenge their conformistic point of view based purely in groupthink.

Don't Argue with Irrational Colleagues

It's frustrating to watch a colleague behave irrationally, whether it's refusing to follow a policy or failing to recognize a good idea. But people have reasons for doing things, even if you don't fully understand. Next time a colleague can't consider a completely reasonable suggestion, try these two things.
  1. Don't insist on rationality. It will only further frustrate you and make the other person defensive. No matter how many well-constructed arguments you offer, you won't progress until you understand your colleague's point of view.
  2. Figure out the other person's rationale. Resistance to logic always comes from somewhere. Find out what is motivating your coworker, whether it's conscious or unconscious. Then you can address the underlying issues.
If you really live in Cambridge, you should know its a Bostonian not a Bostoner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston