Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:51 AM

8 posts, read 10,482 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I'm in all likelihood going to be taking a job in Wakefield and I'd like to know more about which areas would be good for us, preferably in Boston, but I'm open depending on what's available. More about us:
-Me and my partner (I'm mid-twenties and he's early thirties)
-Good places to go eat/hang out...stuff to do!
-I highly prefer living in a rowhouse or brownstone/brick building...I really love them and they're hard to come by where I'm from.
-The place should be mostly safe (I know to stay away from Dorchester, Roxbury, and Mattapan)
-I'd also like a place with a yard of any size because I have two cats who like to go out to use the potty
-The square footage should be at least over 600
Also very important, I'd need to be able to get to Wakefield in a reasonable amount of time (not more than 45 minutes by car, or I could do up to an hour or a bit over by commuter rail)
-Being able to park where I'm living is also important (either deeded or on-street permit parking will do)

I can make some concessions, but these are ideally things I would like. Any and all advice would be great!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 10:51 AM

925 posts, read 2,742,402 times
Knowing your budget would help people make recommendations for you. Does your partner know where he'll be working yet? That might make a difference for recommendations as well.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:13 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
If you live in a brownstone or rowhouse and want a yard for the cats, how are you going to keep them from wandering? And how are you going to let them in? Will you go outside with them every time they need to go? I know cats are crafty, but most aren't capable of opening lobby doors/operating elevators.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:48 AM

324 posts, read 1,089,770 times
It's probably an obvious answer, but if you can afford it, you'd probably like Cambridge and West Somerville (Davis Square area). You'll probably find more brick/brownstones in Cambridge vs. Somerville. You'd have a greater chance of a small yard in Somerville.

FWIW, we lived in Somerville and lots of our neighbors had cats that they'd let outdoors. But obviously you would need the kind of set up where they could easily be let in and out.

Both Cambridge and Somerville allow on-street parking with a permit (very cheap). Depending on your neighborhood, it could be easy or difficult to find a parking space.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:00 PM

Our budget is up to 250,000 to buy and 1500 to rent. He hasn't found a job yet, so we're on a lower budget at the moment. As for the cats...I would let them out during the day and put them inside when coming home. My cats don't wander around much and are scared of cars, so they stay off the road. Hope this helps!

Old 06-17-2011, 01:09 PM

Honestly, that's a really bad idea and dangerous for the cats if you live in the city. Your building will likely not have a fenced yard (and if you are in a brownstone/building, you will likely not have any yard at all), so how will they not wander? How will they be protected from dogs, other animals, cruel people and bad weather? Or what if your neighbors (because any yard you have will be shared) don't want cat's using the yard as a litterbox?

Old 06-17-2011, 01:35 PM

Well, if they can't go out, that's fine. I'd just like it if they could once in a while. At least one of them I can walk on the leash, so that's not a problem. I said I can make concessions on that cause I know a lot of places don't have adequate yards.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:11 PM

Yeah, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but maybe once you see what a "yard" might be like here you will better understand what I mean. Leash-trained, that's great! I have a neighbor who walks her cat on a leash. My dog doesn't know what to make of it.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:25 PM

420 posts, read 1,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalCookies View Post
Well, if they can't go out, that's fine. I'd just like it if they could once in a while. At least one of them I can walk on the leash, so that's not a problem. I said I can make concessions on that cause I know a lot of places don't have adequate yards.
When I was living in Brookline, I remember seeing this crazy old lady who would take her cat on walks on a leash... maybe you should move there and befriend her?

Old 06-17-2011, 07:21 PM

30 posts, read 73,765 times
Definitely stay north of the city if you're working in Wakefield. Somerville is probably your best bet...Davis Square is a fun area for young professionals (stay away from Winter Hill). It's definitely the most expensive area of Somerville, but worth it in my opinion if you just want to walk somewhere to eat or to jump on the T to head downtown. You will definitely pay a lot more to get a place with parking. You might get lucky with a yard. You won't find brownstones...they are mainly in Boston and won't have the yard/outdoor space you are looking for. Somerville and most areas outside of Boston are the old triple decker houses.

Arlington or Medford are other options. It will be tough to buy anything in Boston for 250K. I definitely recommend renting for the 1st year and scoping out the areas. Welcome to Beantown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston