Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 948 times

Advertisements

We have been happily living in the Indy'd Carmel suburb for nearly 5 years now, where I work from home and cover a territory spanning IN, central KY, central TN, and southern IL. We are a family of 5 with a 17, 15, 13 year olds. Chicagoans originally, we made a 1.5 years stop in Charlotte, 1.5 in Indy, 2.5 in Bowling Green KY, 6 more back in Chicagoland before returing to Indy for a second time. We've been offered a career move to New England / NY where I'd work from home still but have a business territory of NYC and New England. We've been given the flex to move next Summer when our 1st goes off to college, second is 1/2 thru high school, and the third will be starting HS. The kids and we are open to it. Obviously we've done this before, know the changes and difficulties but relish the adventure to a degree. We've been to New England and Boston and like it, and are intrigued at adding a chapter to our lives living in the Northeast. But we are really struggling with thoughts of the costs / taxes, etc. We live the ideal suburban life with a newer custom 6,000 Sq ft 6 bdr home, $675K on a 1/3 acre with only $7K annual property taxes and 3% state income tax. Our kids attend a top Catholic HS - $11K a year, and a nice Catholic grade school $5K. Catholic parish life is important to us. We can literally live anywhere in places where NYC and Boston are reachable by car or train in 2 hours or so. Driving in Mass well West of Boston we've seen the charming little New England towns. Don't know anything about RI, CT, NJ, upstate NY. Mass seems easier. But for those of you who know or have done this, would you do it? and wear might you land that would provide a great quality of life with a great Catholic HS in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 07:10 PM

3,685 posts, read 7,421,575 times
Welcome to city-data!

Does the move to the New England and New York territory come with an increase in pay?

To replicate your current lifestyle in the north of Boston suburbs, for example, I suspect you will need to earn ~40-50% more.

4500 sq foot, 5 BR house on 2 acres in Boxford = $900K, $12K in taxes
annual tuition at St. John's Prep HS (Danvers) = $18K
annual tuition at Saint Mary's (Danvers) or St. John's (Beverly) K-8 school = $6K

There are certainly less expensive areas in New England that may offer what you are looking for, but if you are looking for the finer things that Greater Boston has to offer, they come at a price.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:21 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,299,411 times
Well, if your territory covers down to NYC, you'd probably want to be west or perhaps south of Boston (each city accessible by Amtrak from stations south of Boston). MA income tax is 5.3%, which really isn't that big a difference from what you pay now. You'd get some of the exctra tax paid back anyway since it's highly likely you itemize.

I don't know about 6,000 square-foot houses. Personally that seems kind of obscene to me. 2,500 square feet seems plenty, but I'm used to Boston and places where homes are older and smaller (e.g. NYC, Paris). If you want something that big, and anything new, you'll pay north of a million or have to go farther from Boston. Perhaps the area down near Norfolk, Wrentham. Bishop Feehan HS is in Attleboro, not far away. I don't know much about the school but it's pretty well-regarded and tuition is $10K or less, I think. The Wrentham area's far enough from Boston that you'd likely find larger and newer homes, and you can catch a train to NYC out of Providence.

Plenty of Catholic schools in MA. MA, RI, CT have the most Catholics of any states in the nation.

Massachusetts Catholic High Schools

Old 06-29-2011, 06:07 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,907,485 times
6,000 square feet? That is , frankly, obscene...

You won't get anything near that here..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston