Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 11:27 AM

22 posts, read 120,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee.peddler View Post
As a native New Englander, I've visited Boston dozens of times. I've also visited San Francisco. I have to say that I don't find much similarity between the cities. Granted, they're both great places to spend time in, but they have very different atmospheres and their suburbs bear nothing in common.
everyone mentions how they are similar and says they are unique, but no one has elaborated in what it is that makes them different---community, friendliness, weather, etc? i'm looking at cambridge versus mountain view, ca and would like to understand the differences...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 11:48 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,061,622 times
Cambridge vs. Mountain View? That's a whole different question than Boston vs. San Francisco!

First of all, Cambridge is a city--not sure about Mountain View. When I lived there, it was mostly a bedroom community south of the city in the Silicon Valley. Cambridge has great access to Boston, right across the river. And it's very diverse with enough entertainment, restaurants, etc, in its own right. Mtn View is the total opposite.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:20 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,158,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Cambridge vs. Mountain View? That's a whole different question than Boston vs. San Francisco!

First of all, Cambridge is a city--not sure about Mountain View. When I lived there, it was mostly a bedroom community south of the city in the Silicon Valley. Cambridge has great access to Boston, right across the river. And it's very diverse with enough entertainment, restaurants, etc, in its own right. Mtn View is the total opposite.
All of my life San Fransico has been my favorite place to visit until four years ago when the traffic was worse than ever, couldn't park anywhere to save my life and just plain worn out driving around town, up and down hills, trying to find streets that didn't go just one way. I think esthetically, it is a more beautiful city but Boston is greener, easier to walk, even easier to park (lots) different kind of charm and both have great food and history. I would take Boston.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:21 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,061,622 times
I would take Boston to live over SF because of housing/cost of living (worse in SF than Boston, believe it or not!) and quality of public education in CA, which is a joke. Other than that, the weather in CA is better, the topography more pleasing (I just like seeing mountains, hills and water!). I'd have a hard time picking out where I wanted to go for vacation though. I think they come up even for me. Both fun places to visit, both in-city and nearby areas for recreation.

I would never, ever move back to SF, though I liked living there well enough. And I don't think I'd ever move back to Boston-area once we leave, though I"m fine if we have to stay here for another few years.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:48 PM

105 posts, read 365,031 times
No, no. Pittsburgh is the San Francisco of the East. We are talking topography, right?

Old 08-13-2007, 11:12 PM

967 posts, read 4,770,283 times
All I remember from Mountain View is endless blocks of retail stores and bland looking condos but I only lived in that area a few years so there could be nice areas I'm not aware of. There are nice communities nearby there. Palo Alto is lovely (though East Palo Alto is definately NOT and in parts is quite crime ridden!!). Atherton and Los Altos are also beautiful but very, very expensive.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:05 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,745,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likepgh View Post
No, no. Pittsburgh is the San Francisco of the East. We are talking topography, right?
we don't consider pittsburgh to be the east over here. maybe it's considered to be the east in san fran. it's more central, even the MLB thinks so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston