Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,116 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Im thinking of doing summer work in Boston next summer. But i my have doubts; is Boston safe to live and work in for a young guy?. I'm thinking of moving over alone as none of friends seem interested in it, nor do the have the money!!. I'm 21 this year from Ireland- is it too risky to working in Boston alone? I'm studying in the Uk for Uni- but is was scary moving to the UK, at first; but the US is so far away so im doubtful. Are people friendly in Boston?, any advice?

I'm thinking about living in the Brighton, Allston, Cambridge, South End, Back Bay from research i've done; it seems to be the best choice, but does anyone know if there is a subway near or within these cities?. How difficult is it to get a job in Boston?? (i never worked in a bar!) but am still studying at uni. Has Boston been hit hard with the recision?.

Many thanks!!!!!

Last edited by Ethan_1W; 07-12-2011 at 09:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 04:57 PM

33 posts, read 101,406 times
In brief:
Safe - I would be least concerned about this if I were you. It is like any city (e.g. Dublin) in that most parts are totally safe, others there is the possibility of property crime, still others you could be in hot water especially if you go looking for trouble (e.g. looking to buy drugs - easily the number one most likely situation to get you hurt or mugged)

Friendly - well, yes, friendly enough. I think actually an Irish accent would help you in this department. Partially because most people find Irish accents charming and partially because Boston has a special relationship with the people of Ireland, as you probably know. Many people have Irish heritage and even among those that don't the name "Kennedy" is still spoken in hushed tones here. When I visited Ireland I thought the Irish people were some of the most genuinely friendly and welcoming on earth; Boston ... does not exactly have that reputation. You will encounter downright rude people, but mostly I think you will find that people are friendly.

Getting a job in Boston -- this I really don't know. Other people may have ideas. I do know that many young people with low-wage jobs struggle to support the high cost of living here (like rent). Subletting someone else's apt for the summer, with roommates, can definitely mediate things. I think if I were you the single biggest thing I'd worry about was if you were planning to be self-supporting when you got here and you found that it was hard to get by.

The places you mention would all be fine. You can use a combo of google maps and the mbta (our subway system, nicknamed the "T") website to figure out how close a prospective place is to public transportation and where it goes, but all of the places you mentioned have at least some T accessibility (the convenience of which can vary wildly depending on where in those locations you are living).

Good luck!

Old 07-13-2011, 04:52 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
You should be just fine here...less overwhelming than New York City. Plus, you've already adjusted to London a bit?

Summers here may disturb you when it gets hot and humid, but not as bad as other parts of America.

I think our unemployment rate is and has been healthier than the nation's in recent years, but it's still competitive with so many young people here. Check craigslist boston's listings of hospitality jobs for an idea.

You probably won't need a car here.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,116 times
Thanks guys!! you've been a great help!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston