U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 08:41 PM

31 posts, read 42,828 times
The way I see it, it's better than looking like a bunch of damn hipsters.

Plus who doesn't like north-faces and ugg boots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 09:14 PM

80 posts, read 134,142 times
So many of the men here seem to wear this uniform of Polo shirt, khaki cargo shorts, and ugly sandals. It's kind of funny. Most female college students dress horribly. Ugg boots, leggings as pants, those jersey empire waisted tunics that flatter absolutely no body shape... Yeesh.

There's a lot of terrible fashion everywhere though. Did they name any best dressed cities?

Last edited by Niandra; 07-17-2011 at 09:26 PM..

Old 07-17-2011, 10:54 PM

5,706 posts, read 4,664,918 times
Its the Tri Corn Hats. Honest.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:23 PM

591 posts, read 387,400 times
All I can say as a Northern California resident who went to Boston one summer that it's the only place I was stared at for not wearing an ivy league button down long-sleeve shirt during summer.

I think if you took a poll, Pittsburgers would proudly say they are the slouchiest dressers around, with the least fanfare among any large city; they wear jeans and T-shirts even to their best restaurants.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:37 AM

7,388 posts, read 14,148,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
OK, it's not scientific but the writers at GQ come down pretty hard on Boston's sense of style, particularly the college students. IMHO I think cities like grungey Seattle or Portland dress worse. Nonetheless this is an amusing read.

The 40 Worst-Dressed Cities in America: Style: GQ

Martha's Vineyard was # 14 on the worst list.

How do you feel about Boston's sense of style?
The whole article is supposed to be funny. And it is not the writers of GQ that came down on Boston; it was one writer: John B. Thompson. But I guess the olde days of Puritanical Rule still carry over to present times. It is okay to laugh at yourselves, people. Especially since the clip was mainly about a large transient population found in the city: college students.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:07 AM

613 posts, read 1,262,518 times
It's hard to put a lot of stock in this article considering that Los Angeles is #2 and Manhattan is #5. Off the top of their heads, most people would probably say that Manhattan is the best-dressed. But take any large city with a variety of people and you'll have a very fashionable segment, a slew of sweatpant wearing people and everything in between.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:49 AM

2,091 posts, read 2,563,736 times
I must confess, I'm massively guilty of the dressed down look. Fortunately in work in IT so no one expects me to know how to dress.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:03 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,403,871 times
People working at the Brigham dress pretty well. People hanging at the Rat (defunct) didn't. It's that simple.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:35 PM

9 posts, read 19,342 times
people from boston and surrounding area as a general rule have zero style this is 100% factual. but gq is lame as well.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:38 PM

5,348 posts, read 9,120,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swejdid911 View Post
people from boston and surrounding area as a general rule have zero style this is 100% factual. but gq is lame as well.
Well, many don't. However, that's our opinion and as such is not "100% factual." "Style" is highly subjective. I try very hard to dress well and probably spend too much of my income on my wardrobe. However, I would rather wear adidas flip flops with socks, sweatpants and a stained college t-shirt than be caught dead in Ed Hardy (or "Tapout" which is just as bad), Timberland Boots (unless, of course, I'm actually working with them), a blowout hairstyle, etc. It seems many of these roided-up, tattooed up morons think they look good. The rest of the planet is laughing. There are too many in Boston (more in Providence proportionately) and in urban areas along the East Coast.

I'm no fan of GQ, but the line "Boston suffers from a kind of style Down Syndrome" made me laugh a little. Also the camel toe comments (which is laughably/sadly true among college students) were great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston