Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 03:14 AM

10,725 posts, read 23,662,722 times

Advertisements

OK, it's not scientific but the writers at GQ come down pretty hard on Boston's sense of style, particularly the college students. IMHO I think cities like grungey Seattle or Portland dress worse. Nonetheless this is an amusing read.

The 40 Worst-Dressed Cities in America: Style: GQ

Martha's Vineyard was # 14 on the worst list.

How do you feel about Boston's sense of style?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 08:30 AM

12,631 posts, read 21,784,537 times
Well like it said, it put a lot of weight in the college students which really hurts seeing as they commonly wear basketball shorts, hoodies, leggings and sweatpants. Their going out attire is no better (old jeans, un-tucked buttdown and old hat). Certainly worth the criticism received in the article.

However, I think professional Bostonians dress far better than people in places like Portland, Seattle, San Francisco (the Bohemian look is so played out), Baltimore, Miami (it's just tacky), etc.

The Martha's Vineyard criticism are logical though.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:43 PM

415 posts, read 1,661,486 times
I wouldn't place too much trust in articles like this. I'd put as much faith in this GQ list as I would in a Maxim "best city for men" list.

I remember my Boston days quite well and I never thought people were completely out of style. However, people (esp Boston women) should take a little more pride when leave their apartment and not wear pajama pants and a hoodie when they get lunch, grocery shop, etc. I see the exact opposite down here in Florida, women are dressed to the nines just to go to the gym or the pool.

However, all things considered, I think folks in Boston dress much better than people in cities like SF, Portland, and Seattle. But don't dress as sharp as those in cities like Los Angeles and Dallas.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:46 PM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,037,481 times
Who cares what GQ thinks? Who wants a city full of men that look like metrosexuals? Or a city full of women looking like Vogue magazine models? Those types of people look artificial, self-centered and vain. I don't want my Boston full of those people.

And the kind of clothing that CQ promotes are very pricey. Unless you are wealthy, it seems wasteful and foolish to put that kind of money into ones daily wardrobe, especially in this economy. I'd much rather have my man wearing practical clothing until it wears out, instead of always be dressed in the latest of high fashions.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:16 PM

594 posts, read 1,629,914 times
Who cares?

Old 07-16-2011, 04:12 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,962,795 times
It's supposed to be a fun topic. Let's stop sucking the fun out of it.

I think Boston's style is less varied and more conservative than other areas of the county. However, I'll take Boston's style over the land of Ed Hardy t-shirts (LA) any day. Bad? Maybe. Worst? No freaking way.

P.S. You can pry my leggings from my cold dead hands.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:56 PM

I think the climate has a lot to do with how Bostonians dress. Sometimes gloomy and cold weather through much of the year instills an "I don't care" attitude with what people wear when they are out. Although I will say there are some men dressing very dapper and women dressing to the nines during the workday in downtown Boston.

Also I think many Americans dress down compared to Europeans, even Canadians. Up in Montreal they be styling and seem more fashion conscious.

A friend of mine from Denver commented in a Boston bar that the guys in Boston are homogeneous, with the Red Sox cap, hoodies, and jeans.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:36 PM

350 posts, read 1,087,307 times
It is a fun topic and shouldn't be taken too seriously ... but really, what city was NOT on the list?

Old 07-16-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy1 View Post
It is a fun topic and shouldn't be taken too seriously ... but really, what city was NOT on the list?
Denver got skipped, not that I would say it embodies good taste but Colorado is the least obese state in the country, year after year.

But you're right, I don't think the rankings really say how one city is worse than another at a tier level by the writers. They just poke fun at poor taste in most of the cities from Atlanta hoochies to Dallas 30K millionaires.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:20 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,333,869 times
Dressing down for GQ - BostonHerald.com (http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/2011_0716dressing_down_for_gq/ - broken link)

After reading this, I wouldn't worry about what GQ thinks:

The Web site’s blurb then delivers an astonishing jibe: “Due to so much local in-breeding, Boston suffers from a kind of Style Down Syndrome.”

Classy publication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston