U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-18-2011, 11:31 AM

6,233 posts, read 2,920,793 times

Advertisements

From Beantown to...Meantown.

It must be Pick on Boston this week- First you're the sloppiest dressers (says GQ but what do they know?) now you're the meanest dogs in the bunch. What's the story over there?

Boston #1! (for meanest population) - Boston.com
Two psychologists conducted a national survey, asking Americans questions designed to measure 24 "character strengths." They grouped some of these strengths, like gratitude and valuing emotional connections, as "strengths of the heart’" - a fancy way of saying kindness. And then, for each of the nation's 50 largest cities, they calculated an average score.

The conclusion: Boston came in at number 50. As in, dead last. As in, none of the country's other major cities - not New York, not Los Angeles, not even Washington, D.C. - can match us for sheer smallness of spirit. We are officially the capital of mean.

I'll admit I cannot find a link to the original survey.

Survey Ranks Boston The Least Friendly City In America CBS Boston
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 12:30 PM
miu

13,018 posts, read 22,248,680 times
After dealing with a ton of traffic on the roads this last week, I hope that people take these surveys seriously and just move out of Massachusetts! We have too many people here and a whole bunch need to move out of state, and it'd also be great if people stopped moving here.

MA must be doing something right since every year, there's more MA residents.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:06 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,580,009 times
Least friendly? Yeah.

Mean? No.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:09 PM

9 posts, read 19,621 times
The reason why people drive so crazy in Boston is because they're trying to hurry up and make enough money to move far away.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:40 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,580,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swejdid911 View Post
The reason why people drive so crazy in Boston is because they're trying to hurry up and make enough money to move far away.
Oh poo. If ya can't handle the competition, take the T.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:59 PM

9 posts, read 19,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Oh poo. If ya can't handle the competition, take the T.
Ahh yes, the wonderful "T" where bus drivers can seem ready to commit a homicide at any moment, the trains stop for hours without warning (packed full in the middle of summer) and the least friendly bunch of commuters the world has ever seen. Granted the public transit is better then alot of places, but that's not saying much, but atleast you can (eventually) get fairly close to most places around "the hub" after hours of travel using the mbta (just don't ask the wrong bus driver the wrong question or you may get kicked off the bus).

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-24-2011 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: inappropriate

Old 07-18-2011, 07:35 PM

7,436 posts, read 8,238,499 times
Oh Jeez, this topic yet AGAIN? A couple of professors scientificly studied this?

We already have another ongoing thread on rudeness/firendlisness of Boston this week....

Why do Bostonians take themselves so seriously?

This topic is becoming like a dog chasing its own tail. Boston is rude, NY is rude, LA is rude. These cities are also very friendly. Draw your own conclusions. Some see the glass half full and many see the glass half empty <insert violin concerto>. My skin is to thick to be bothered by an MBTA employee's attitude, pffft please.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 07-18-2011 at 08:00 PM..

Old 07-18-2011, 11:37 PM

5,213 posts, read 8,933,614 times
Eh, Bostonians really have good hearts down inside. We just tend to snap often at the numerous people making fun of our slovenly dress.

Boston named #1 worst dressed city according to GQ

Old 07-18-2011, 11:57 PM

2,268 posts, read 5,563,002 times
Took a vacation with my talkative mother to Boston in 2005. I had lived there before and warned her nobody on the T wanted the know her life story, so don't try to be her friendly self. Boy was I wrong. By the time our 15 minute ride was over, she had made friends with several people. They loved her friendliness, and she opened them up. They weren't unfriendly, rude, or unpleasant with her.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:05 AM

596 posts, read 733,576 times
I wouldn't consider Bostonians to be "mean" at all. I always try to be polite and nice to people and I'm a Bostonian.

This is another one of those "city ranking lists" that for some reason are so popular at the moment and really reveals nothing about how people in a certain region are.

According to popular culture lately, I must be a horrible Bostonian because I'm not a rude void-heart who thinks he's better than everybody else, and I don't wear jeans, a North Face jacket, and a Red Sox hat (I don't even own a North Face jacket or a Red Sox hat come to think of it) everyday of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston