Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:42 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times

Advertisements

Saw this topic somewhere else on C-D and thought a few here may need to also vent.

Anything worse than 1-877-cars4kids? (2 digits too many here vs. a regular phone number...but I think I have it right?). Actually, the bad news is it "ain't" local; I've heard it on NYC and I believe Chicago radio. AND, even worse, hasn't it been airing on many local stations...for at least THREE years?! How does it have such a long shelf life? At least update the ad! Sometimes I listen to it in full FULL blast with the window open, just to see if I can elicit some reaction, or even some sympathy, from fellow motorists stopped in traffic. So no, it's not local, but it may as well be, as it pervades the Boston airwaves without mercy.

Kimberly Daher and Commonwealth Motors ("Shop us Last"!) is almost as annoying...plus she's on tv AND radio in our market. "Daaaaa-d," she whines in all the ads referring to the ever-present dad. So cute. Plus, her brother, Charles, is often present. Where's the mother? Those screeching tires sounds as well as the ding ding ding sound effects must go.

Bernie & Phyl's is an obvious choice, but at least they produce fresh ads regularly. Plus, we've grown up with them and know their adult children by now. And the news of Phyl's illness revealed in local media last year makes her real to us.

I know someone who hates the Empire Carpet commercials. Bob's Discount Furniture is bad, but again, at least they're updated.

Any I've missed? Actually, not reminding us may be the best approach here..

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 07-21-2011 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 10:07 PM

594 posts, read 1,633,812 times
There was a furniture guy a long time ago who had a commercial laced with "How much is this fabric? No extra charge!" that got really old really fast...he had another one where people asked him questions about the competition and he kept repeating "I doubt it...I doubt it...I doubt it..." I made a firm decision to never buy a single piece of furniture from that guy.

Bernie & Phyl never really bothered me, they're kind of an institution.

The Mary Lou's commercials got pretty old too..."Look at us, we have high school aged girls in hotpants and tiny tank tops, come on down!"

Old 07-22-2011, 04:36 AM

348 posts, read 849,710 times
1-877-kars4kids, k-a-r-s kars for kids, 1-877-kars4kids . . .

Due to that overly annoying and way over-played jingle, probably no one wants to donate to them.

Commonwealth Motors .... that bell ....screaching tires ..... the way that she screams "DAD"..... Those commercials are corny and annoying, whether on radio or tv. Sure makes we want to run out and get my car there.

IRA, IRA, ZERO DOWN FOR IRA! (ALL CAPS FOR SHOUTING) Really despise it when they have a bunch of kids screeeech the jingle.

Sullivan Tire Commercials (TV). Yes, I love the Sox, but those commercials with Pedroia are painful to watch.

Prime Motor Group (TV) When they dance that stupid *** with Pabelbon. Aweful to watch.

Sal's Pizza (TV). For some reason I feel uneasy when he throws that slice to Grandma, whose hand trembles so badly I fear she will drop that slice.,

Bob's Discount Furniture. He's annoying, as is the blond lady. "Busted"

There are radio ads for something like Windsor Place in Wilmington ... some retirement homes. For some reason the woman's voice is like fingernails to a chalkboard, and, the two people who read the commercials are supposed to be having an ad hoc conversation but it comes across as them just reading their lines from a piece of paper. It's painful, like watching a school play.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:33 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Bob's Discount Furniture: Annoying guy with an annoying voice hawking ugly-as-sin furniture. Go away!

Old 07-22-2011, 10:56 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,518,860 times
Thank the stars for the mute button.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:00 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I came in here just to say----
1-877-Kars4Kids but I see it's already been mentioned. lol

That annoying ad has been on for YEARS, same old thing over and over and over.

I try to turn it down as soon as it starts. dh and I commiserate about it--he'll say it was the very first thing he heard when he turned on the car radio. I'll sympathize. I'll say I heard it 5 times last night. He'll sympathize.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:43 AM

254 posts, read 586,833 times
What about Amica insurance. I am bombarded by their ads on both tv and radio. As if it is not enough to play one clip, they always have to play two especially the one with I am value seeking missile - WTF is that?!?

Old 07-27-2011, 07:14 PM

289 posts, read 567,484 times
I have three that I love to hate:

My least-favorite is Flo and those INFERNAL Progressive Insurance commercials. I'm had to replace remote batteries well before their time from all the channel changing to get rid of that obnoxious woman. Isn't it time to retire her YET? They are on at least ten times an hour.

In a far distance second place are the Swiffer ads with people dressed up in dirt. What are they thinking?

And newly added to the list is the wimpy man I hope I never meet for whom "Fiber makes me saaaad...." Argh. Send that man out wuth a swiffer to buy Progressive Insurance.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:21 PM

420 posts, read 1,368,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Saw this topic somewhere else on C-D and thought a few here may need to also vent.

Anything worse than 1-877-cars4kids? (2 digits too many here vs. a regular phone number...but I think I have it right?). Actually, the bad news is it "ain't" local; I've heard it on NYC and I believe Chicago radio. AND, even worse, hasn't it been airing on many local stations...for at least THREE years?! How does it have such a long shelf life? At least update the ad! Sometimes I listen to it in full FULL blast with the window open, just to see if I can elicit some reaction, or even some sympathy, from fellow motorists stopped in traffic. So no, it's not local, but it may as well be, as it pervades the Boston airwaves without mercy.

Kimberly Daher and Commonwealth Motors ("Shop us Last"!) is almost as annoying...plus she's on tv AND radio in our market. "Daaaaa-d," she whines in all the ads referring to the ever-present dad. So cute. Plus, her brother, Charles, is often present. Where's the mother? Those screeching tires sounds as well as the ding ding ding sound effects must go.

Bernie & Phyl's is an obvious choice, but at least they produce fresh ads regularly. Plus, we've grown up with them and know their adult children by now. And the news of Phyl's illness revealed in local media last year makes her real to us.

I know someone who hates the Empire Carpet commercials. Bob's Discount Furniture is bad, but again, at least they're updated.

Any I've missed? Actually, not reminding us may be the best approach here..

Eh hem.... its
1 - 8 7 7 KARS 4 KIDS

K-A-R-S Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars for kiiiiiiiiiiiiiidsssssssssss

donate your care today

this radio commercial is the only time I ever change from the sports hub over to WEEI... Worst commercial in history IMO

Old 07-28-2011, 02:32 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
OP posting...

BostonBarney: Yeah, "Flo here!" from Progressive can be annnoying, but I thought others wouldn't mind her. Never heard of the company until her! At least they run different skits with her. There was a newspaper article a few years ago about her, the real person who lives somewhere in Pennsylvania. See, she is a real person..so less reason to despise her, I guess.

Highwyre: didn't realize WEEI doesn't play KARS-4KIDS. How reassuring.

Bostonjad: can't say I'm aware of the Amica ad, thank goodness, but now I'm sure it'll be on soon and I'll recognize it!

RedSox1972: IRA, IRA, how did I overlook that one!

RC1981: "I doooouubt it!" guy...was that for Dean's Furiture? I do remember that line, though.

Barry & Elliot from Jordan's Furniture are a bit annoying, but they're an instituion like Bernie & Phyl, so they may get a pass.

Can't stand any of the get out of debt now/bankruptcy ads -- esp. WBZ 1030 AM with Tom Cuddy. He ends nearly every sportscast in recent years with, "I know it works," or "This one really works...get out of debt now, trust me." How insulting to the audience, some who may not know these are such scams."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston