Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 01:53 PM

17 posts, read 39,464 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband and I are talking about relocating. We have been researching our housing market here is South Florida and its so discouraging, everything is HOA or Subdivision. We dont want to pay monthly fees to an association so they can rule how we live our life in our house. We find most of Florida especially where we live has become this way.

I grew up in CT and my husband grew up in NY and FL. We want a nice area with available jobs and nice apts/condos and townhomes to live in until we are able to buy a home. Down here we currently pay 1226 for rent for 2/2 apt about 1250 sq feet. We are wondering how the apts compare in Boston or in the immediate area. We currently work about 11-15 miles from home and it takes 35-45 minutes. If you have ever been to the Fort Lauderdale area you will understand why. So many people. So many bad drivers on these 6 lane roads.

We want to start a family and want a nice place to do it. One that we can afford. We do not have jobs lined up as of yet. I do Accounts Receivable & Collections and he is an Asst Warehouse and Asst to Purchasing. Please help us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 03:02 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
Traffic situation definitely will not improve by moving to Boston. It makes Miami look easy. No savings on housing either. 1226 for a 2/2 in BOS would be a very good deal. Boston is significantly more crowded than Miami. Job opportunities are good, but it is an expensive area so although you'll make a lot more money you'll have a lot more expense.

I moved from Miami to Boston. Here's the breakdown from my POV:

Miami is more engaging, more personable, more intrusive, crazier, warmer, hotter, more dramatic, more theatrical, kookier, sexier, wilder.

Boston is more refined, more cerebral, more intelligent, more historic, a lot safer, more uptight, less intrusive, more polite, trashier, definitely much colder.

Overall from your description, I'm not sure BOS is going to be a good fit for you.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:36 AM

17 posts, read 39,464 times
Thank you for your help. We both miss snow so Boston is an awesome place for that. Florida has grown old, too many elderly and many cultures.. When I moved here 10 years ago I was in a nice area, nice people and it wasnt that much different from CT other then the weather. This area has become trash and the more illegal people who move in have made it harder to find jobs or buy homes. We do not live in Miami we are one town away from Parkland but it does not make a difference in people. I know people say Boston people are rude, im from CT and my Husband from NY so we are used to that.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:30 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goffcriscuola View Post
Thank you for your help. We both miss snow so Boston is an awesome place for that. Florida has grown old, too many elderly and many cultures.. When I moved here 10 years ago I was in a nice area, nice people and it wasnt that much different from CT other then the weather. This area has become trash and the more illegal people who move in have made it harder to find jobs or buy homes. We do not live in Miami we are one town away from Parkland but it does not make a difference in people. I know people say Boston people are rude, im from CT and my Husband from NY so we are used to that.
Rude is not the right word for Bostonians. Reserved, distant, detached maybe, but not rude. Except behind the wheel.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:58 PM

65 posts, read 121,863 times
Default As a Native Bostonian . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Traffic situation definitely will not improve by moving to Boston. It makes Miami look easy. No savings on housing either. 1226 for a 2/2 in BOS would be a very good deal. Boston is significantly more crowded than Miami. Job opportunities are good, but it is an expensive area so although you'll make a lot more money you'll have a lot more expense.

Miami is more engaging, more personable, more intrusive, crazier, warmer, hotter, more dramatic, more theatrical, kookier, sexier, wilder.

Boston is more refined, more cerebral, more intelligent, more historic, a lot safer, more uptight, less intrusive, more polite, trashier, definitely much colder.

Overall from your description, I'm not sure BOS is going to be a good fit for you.
As a native Bostonian,who in later years lived in several other states, including southern, I tell you frankly, that everything said in the above quote is absolutely on target. The writer has told it exactly as it is. The writer has told you the whole truth. Why jump out of the frying pan into the fire? --yokie

Old 10-08-2011, 01:08 PM

65 posts, read 121,863 times
Default A Bit More About Boston

Rain. It rains a lot. I happen to like rain. If you don't, then always carry an umbrella with you.

There are three kinds of rain: a very fine perpetual kind of mist; a downpour known as "raining cats and dogs" that can go on all day long off and on, and a 3-day nor'easter, and that's not counting the spring and fall pea soup fog. --yokie

Old 12-30-2011, 08:37 AM

171 posts, read 218,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokie View Post
Rain. It rains a lot. I happen to like rain. If you don't, then always carry an umbrella with you.

There are three kinds of rain: a very fine perpetual kind of mist; a downpour known as "raining cats and dogs" that can go on all day long off and on, and a 3-day nor'easter, and that's not counting the spring and fall pea soup fog. --yokie

Nothing like those Southern thunderstorms though, huh?

Old 12-30-2011, 08:58 AM

613 posts, read 2,307,030 times
The Boston Metro is more expensive than Miami and the housing stock is also older which comes as a shock to people who are used to construction that's younger than they are . I don't know if it's going to be a good fit for you. Traffic and drivers are pretty brutal around here and if you work in Boston, you'll likely have to take public transportation to get to and from work. A 35-45 min commute is pretty average around here and plenty of people commute upwards of an hour.

The higher salaries in the area don't always correlate to the increased cost of living.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:22 PM

104 posts, read 229,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post

Agreed on traffic and cost of living. Miami more engaging? What do you consider engaging? Yes it's crazier, hotter, more dramatic and definitely kookier. Sexier and wilder? I guess, if acting like a perpetual teenager in heat is sexy. Also, a large percentage of Miamians who dress and act sexy really, really shouldn't. Not in public, anyway.

Agree with Boston being refined, intelligent, polite, and safe. Not sure Boston would be considered trashier than Miami though. Uptight? Bostonians on the whole are far more open minded than conservative Miamians. Just because the dress in Miami is provocative doesn't mean the mindset isn't fairly conservative, IMO.

It sounds like the OP and partner don't really have the combined income to live comfortably in Boston. South shore communities like Stoughton, Foxboro, and even Quincey used to be affordable and an easy commute on the T, but I don't know if that's true now.

So, OP, maybe you should research housing and commuter services in the surrounding communities. If you find your financial situation would be about even, then go for it. The only factor that's a minus is the winter, but really, most South Floridians spend the 6 month summer inside, so the trade off is about even there.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:00 PM

124 posts, read 334,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkostas View Post
Agreed on traffic and cost of living. Miami more engaging? What do you consider engaging? Yes it's crazier, hotter, more dramatic and definitely kookier. Sexier and wilder? I guess, if acting like a perpetual teenager in heat is sexy. Also, a large percentage of Miamians who dress and act sexy really, really shouldn't. Not in public, anyway.

Agree with Boston being refined, intelligent, polite, and safe. Not sure Boston would be considered trashier than Miami though. Uptight? Bostonians on the whole are far more open minded than conservative Miamians. Just because the dress in Miami is provocative doesn't mean the mindset isn't fairly conservative, IMO.

It sounds like the OP and partner don't really have the combined income to live comfortably in Boston. South shore communities like Stoughton, Foxboro, and even Quincey used to be affordable and an easy commute on the T, but I don't know if that's true now.

So, OP, maybe you should research housing and commuter services in the surrounding communities. If you find your financial situation would be about even, then go for it. The only factor that's a minus is the winter, but really, most South Floridians spend the 6 month summer inside, so the trade off is about even there.
Boy you guys rock when it comes to answering in plain simple English! Thank you!.

I had to laugh at your comment, "Sexier and wilder? I guess, if acting like a perpetual teenager in heat is sexy. Also, a large percentage of Miamians who dress and act sexy really, really shouldn't. Not in public, anyway. "

My daughter goes to school in Miami and I love it there. Could I live there year round? I'm not so sure. I suppose if I were close enough to the ocean. After living for years in Scottsdale, AZ - I'm not so crazy about constant heat.

Now about the weather...

Typical spring, summer, fall, winter descriptions anyone?

(I may be relocating to the area for a job in Canton) I have a different post on that subject that I just listed in this forum.

Thanks again!

PS - When someone said "trashier" did they mean trashier as in litter or the way people dressed?

Last edited by movestoomuch; 01-01-2012 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston