U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 02:09 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,472,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz6675 View Post
Worst people I've ever met in the entire country have been in Boston. Bostonians are the most stuck up, self righteous, difficult, miserable, mean, and downright unpleasant people to be around. Generally there are two types of people I met in Boston.

1.) Angry, unhappy men and women trapped in some sort of a racist 1950s "traditional," contemporary puritan mindset.

2.) Stuck up, snotty, spoiled, socially awkward BRATS. Either college kids or Yuppies.

Boston just plain sucks! I gutted it out for 3 years while I finished my undergraduate degree. Got the hell back to L.A. as quickly as I could. Wish I could say I had fonder memories of Boston because I respect the work ethic, but I don't really have much good to say. It's a culture that needs to die and doesn't belong in the 21st century. Racist, closed minded, clueless. Bostonians.

PS A large part of why people are such *******s is probably THE WEATHER! It's terrible there!
It's funny, since I also came to Boston for college, having grown up in LA. As I read your post, I wondered where you could be from, and was quite surprised by the answer. I know LA and the people there quite well -- great place, great people. I'm kind of surprised that a whiny little punk like you comes from that background, because you don't at all represent the cool people who live there. I'd add that you are lucky that they are cool and laid back about things, because you'd be getting your butt handed to you on a regular basis if you still lived here. We don't suffer fools easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 06:31 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,483,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
It's funny, since I also came to Boston for college, having grown up in LA. As I read your post, I wondered where you could be from, and was quite surprised by the answer. I know LA and the people there quite well -- great place, great people. I'm kind of surprised that a whiny little punk like you comes from that background, because you don't at all represent the cool people who live there. I'd add that you are lucky that they are cool and laid back about things, because you'd be getting your butt handed to you on a regular basis if you still lived here. We don't suffer fools easily.

This person has some big time hatred towards Boston and continues to post laughable critiques of the city and state.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:35 PM

3,458 posts, read 5,446,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz6675 View Post
Worst people I've ever met in the entire country have been in Boston. Bostonians are the most stuck up, self righteous, difficult, miserable, mean, and downright unpleasant people to be around. Generally there are two types of people I met in Boston.

1.) Angry, unhappy men and women trapped in some sort of a racist 1950s "traditional," contemporary puritan mindset.

2.) Stuck up, snotty, spoiled, socially awkward BRATS. Either college kids or Yuppies.

Boston just plain sucks! I gutted it out for 3 years while I finished my undergraduate degree. Got the hell back to L.A. as quickly as I could. Wish I could say I had fonder memories of Boston because I respect the work ethic, but I don't really have much good to say. It's a culture that needs to die and doesn't belong in the 21st century. Racist, closed minded, clueless. Bostonians.

PS A large part of why people are such *******s is probably THE WEATHER! It's terrible there!
Here in California, you'd be surprised by how judgmental, surly and arrogant many people here in the Bay Area are. I actually find L.A., away from all the Hollywood/Westside/Beverly Hills crap and off the freeways, to be a little friendlier and more tolerant/open-minded.

Some areas like the mid-Peninsula, San Jose, scattered parts of the East Bay, Oakland, and North Marin aren't bad. Other areas like San Francisco (the worst), Palo Alto, Mountain View, Berkeley, Walnut Creek, and South Marin have some of the biggest jerks on the West Coast that might even rival West L.A./Beverly Hills.

What's funny is that New England transplants rave on how easy life is and how friendly people are in San Francisco. That's where most of the ones in my generation end up, anyway, "the City." I've never been to Boston, but it certainly seems like a love it or hate it type of place.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:12 AM

18 posts, read 14,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Yeah just like everyone handed me my ass when I would walk into bars and tell people how lame Boston is. You tough Bostonians really showed me!

Old 07-10-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Here in California, you'd be surprised by how judgmental, surly and arrogant many people here in the Bay Area are. I actually find L.A., away from all the Hollywood/Westside/Beverly Hills crap and off the freeways, to be a little friendlier and more tolerant/open-minded.

Some areas like the mid-Peninsula, San Jose, scattered parts of the East Bay, Oakland, and North Marin aren't bad. Other areas like San Francisco (the worst), Palo Alto, Mountain View, Berkeley, Walnut Creek, and South Marin have some of the biggest jerks on the West Coast that might even rival West L.A./Beverly Hills.

What's funny is that New England transplants rave on how easy life is and how friendly people are in San Francisco. That's where most of the ones in my generation end up, anyway, "the City." I've never been to Boston, but it certainly seems like a love it or hate it type of place.
You know I actually kind of found a little bit of that arrogant snobishness in the Bay Area as well. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love visiting San Francisco. It's a beautiful city, there's no doubt about that! I most definitely got a bit of a snobbish vibe from some of the residents, but there's enough funky characters and enough of the California laid back attitude to still make it cool.

It's also funny because I used to tell people in Boston how I thought it was by far the snobbiest city I'd ever been too and they were surprised because I was from L.A. and they had heard that L.A. had that reputation. Of course very few of these people had actually been to L.A. but I knew by that time if there's one thing Bostonians LOVE to do it's judge other people harshly so I just let it go, but I agree, outside of the Beverly Hills wannabe hollywood B.S., which certainly exists in L.A., most of the people are very cool, very friendly and very laid back. There's so much diversity to L.A. that it's difficult to shock people. They've seen and are generally pretty comfortable with most types of people. Just my opinion.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post

You know I actually kind of found a little bit of that arrogant snobishness in the Bay Area as well. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love visiting San Francisco. It's a beautiful city, there's no doubt about that! I most definitely got a bit of a snobbish vibe from some of the residents, but there's enough funky characters and enough of the California laid back attitude to still make it cool.

It's also funny because I used to tell people in Boston how I thought it was by far the snobbiest city I'd ever been too and they were surprised because I was from L.A. and they had heard that L.A. had that reputation. Of course very few of these people had actually been to L.A. but I knew by that time if there's one thing Bostonians LOVE to do it's judge other people harshly so I just let it go. I agree though, outside of the Beverly Hills wannabe hollywood B.S., which certainly exists in L.A., most of the people are very cool, very friendly and very laid back. There's so much diversity to L.A. that it's difficult to shock people. They've seen and are generally pretty comfortable with most types of people. Just my opinion.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
This person has some big time hatred towards Boston and continues to post laughable critiques of the city and state.
I actually never criticized the rest of Mass. Please get your facts straight! Just Boston sucks! Thanks!

Old 07-10-2012, 01:43 AM

2,092 posts, read 2,572,776 times
For someone who claims to dislike Boston so much, you seem to spend a lot of time posting in a Boston web forum.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:43 AM

1,757 posts, read 1,467,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
I'm always wondering whats the deal with people bad mouthing Boston? I notice a lot of the people that don't like Boston are from the south. People up north are more reserved than southerners, that maybe seen as "rude." I don't see how not being loud and talkative to everyone is "rude."

I prefer that as opposed to people being obnoxiously loud for no reason. Then again, Boston might suit me more since I'm a introverted person. I like cities with a introverted population. I'm from the NW and we get called the same things, but it suits us just fine.
I'll expand it a little bit and say the Northeast. I grew up in NH. The Northeast has a strong culture (in both a good and bad way). I've often believed that while people from the Northeast can move most anywhere and make it, people have a hard time moving from elsewhere to the Northeast. They just don't get it. For example, I can't imagine many people from CA (where I live now) adapting to the Northeast, especially a city like Boston. I'm sure a few do, but they must be far outnumbered by those that don't. The cultures are polar opposites of each other. But it's easier to go from a fast-paced, work your tail off culture to a laid back culture than it is the other way around. It's the same as saying it's easier to go from a hard job to an easy job than it is going from an easy job to a hard job. The Northeast is the hard job. It's not laid back, if you do something stupid someone will probably let you know, you will put up with the elements (weather), the driving, and the work ethic is more demanding than some other parts of the country.

So no, it doesn't surprise me at all when people bad mouth Boston or any other place in the Northeast. They just don't get the place. It's an acquired taste, and most of the time you can only acquire it by growing up there. Interesting that you are from the NW. We're thinking of Seattle. The PNW is the only place outside of New England where I get that "home" feeling. Maybe it works in reverse and it's why you've adapted well.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
For someone who claims to dislike Boston so much, you seem to spend a lot of time posting in a Boston web forum.
Just trying to enlighten some people who may be considering a move to this city and want a lot of opinions. Honestly I wish I would have known about this forum before moving out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston