U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-09-2011, 07:30 PM

2,929 posts, read 2,229,947 times

Advertisements

Where was this "$5.50" toll?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 07:38 PM

5,705 posts, read 6,372,126 times
Why would someone flying into Boston to visit that city rent a car and drive around?? It's pretty well known that Boston has a wacky street grid given the age of the city. Use the T, commuter trains, buses, taxis, etc., and enjoy what the city has to offer.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:46 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,598,331 times
Poster, I understand your complaint but your misunderstanding the mentality. After you recognize who your dealing with, life will become easier. This is a fast paced town and so are the people. When I first arrived, I felt the same way, because I complained that people were rude. The problem was that I was used to a slower pace. After while, I increased my tempo and fell into a groove. Funny part, while on a recent business trip to the south, I found myself irritated because the service was too slow. Believe me, these people are not rude, they are actually very nice.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:08 PM

933 posts, read 480,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Spent the weekend in Boston and I am leaving this place disappointed, same nasty, rude, stressed culture you see in NJ, Philly and other places.

Driving in this city is like driving in a 3rd world country, a system of roads that makes absolutely no sense, total lack of signs, sometimes, 4 streets intersect and you can't even tell where one ends and the next one starts, one of the most stressful experiences of my life.

Very rude, agressive drivers, absolutely no regard for other people. I was driving on one of the highways and suddenly, here comes a toll booth, no signs, no warning, no way to get off the highway to get some cash, ask the dumbass who works in the booth, how much, he goes "$5.50", I was like, Are you serious?

This dude had the nastiest attitude, he goes like "Do you have the money? It is a YES or NO question", what an *******! So I tell him, I only had $2.50, I am from out of town and I had no way of knowing since there were no signs, he treats me like **** and gives me a stupid piece of paper to fill out. So, I am filling out a piece of paper, while there are 40 cars behind me honking, I have never seen anything more ridiculous.

So, now I owe the Mass DOT, $5.50, and I am supposed to send a check in for that amount. I will be sending the MA DOT, a check for $5.50 next week with a nice "**** YOU" note, what a joke of a city that is!
I'm sorry you had a bad time, but I disagree. I have only been here a week, but have visited countless times. Granted, driving in Boston is not for the feint of heart, but I have driven in far worse places, where drivers are far more reckless (Florida cities, for example or NJ). Actually, in general, MA is one of the most pedestrian & cyclist friendly states in the union. Perhaps you'd have had a better time if you hadn't driven and just taken the T, which would have reduced the stress factor greatly.

Also, I do not find Bostonians to be rude at all. They are not all "have a nice day" and "howdy" in the street like you'd find in the South or Midwest, but they're not *******s either. Some people are quite brash, but it's nothing personal.

As for the toll, it's expensive because it costs a lot of money to build freeways under a city. Personally, I always make sure I have at least $50 in cash on me at any time, in case of tolls.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:14 PM

2,266 posts, read 4,407,554 times
Honestly, if you think that the streets in Boston are difficult to navigate or that the drivers are aggressive, try visiting Rome, Paris, or any major city in Europe for that matter. They're at least 10 times worse.

The world is a big place.

Last edited by Verseau; 10-09-2011 at 10:28 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Honestly, if you think that the streets in Boston are difficult to navigate or that the drivers are aggressive, try visiting Rome, Paris, or any major city in Europe for that matter. It's at least 10 times worse.

The world is a big place.
Better still, take mass transit. You'd have to be nuts to attempt driving through Paris. Boston is tough for many though because it doesn't have the typical US grid system. Still, I don't see why a tourist just visiting the city would even bother with renting a car in the first place, unless they are planning on exploring the state too.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:45 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,677,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
You sound like a very delicate flower. You should have just taken the train but then again, that probably would have resulted in you "being treated like ****" by people who have the nerve to expect you to pay for services you use.

A delicate flower....LMAO!

I don't understand in this day and age with all the information we have at our fingertips why people run into issues while traveling.

Boston is loaded with mass transit, I have flown in there and made it to the suburbs without renting a car.

I have planned trips out of the country and got enough information off the Internet to have very few bumps in the road.

Luck is with the prepared.

And doesn't someone from NJ know about toll roads?

Old 10-09-2011, 11:48 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,654,978 times
Sorry you had such a bad experience. It didn't have to be like that. Boston was founded in 1630. It wasn't built for the automobile. Driving is surely the single most ill advised endeavor a tourist can undertake in Bostonia. Frankly you're lucky you fared as well as you did. Had you chosen to visit the city by foot, you would have experienced Boston's many charms rather than suffered its biggest problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Spent the weekend in Boston and I am leaving this place disappointed, same nasty, rude, stressed culture you see in NJ, Philly and other places.

Driving in this city is like driving in a 3rd world country, a system of roads that makes absolutely no sense, total lack of signs, sometimes, 4 streets intersect and you can't even tell where one ends and the next one starts, one of the most stressful experiences of my life.

Very rude, agressive drivers, absolutely no regard for other people. I was driving on one of the highways and suddenly, here comes a toll booth, no signs, no warning, no way to get off the highway to get some cash, ask the dumbass who works in the booth, how much, he goes "$5.50", I was like, Are you serious?

This dude had the nastiest attitude, he goes like "Do you have the money? It is a YES or NO question", what an *******! So I tell him, I only had $2.50, I am from out of town and I had no way of knowing since there were no signs, he treats me like **** and gives me a stupid piece of paper to fill out. So, I am filling out a piece of paper, while there are 40 cars behind me honking, I have never seen anything more ridiculous.

So, now I owe the Mass DOT, $5.50, and I am supposed to send a check in for that amount. I will be sending the MA DOT, a check for $5.50 next week with a nice "**** YOU" note, what a joke of a city that is!

Old 10-09-2011, 11:52 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,654,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
I'm sorry you had a bad time, but I disagree. I have only been here a week, but have visited countless times. Granted, driving in Boston is not for the feint of heart, but I have driven in far worse places, where drivers are far more reckless (Florida cities, for example or NJ). Actually, in general, MA is one of the most pedestrian & cyclist friendly states in the union. Perhaps you'd have had a better time if you hadn't driven and just taken the T, which would have reduced the stress factor greatly.

Also, I do not find Bostonians to be rude at all. They are not all "have a nice day" and "howdy" in the street like you'd find in the South or Midwest, but they're not *******s either. Some people are quite brash, but it's nothing personal.
Hey Glas - enjoying my other town, eh? Good for you! Hope you're doing better.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Hey Glas - enjoying my other town, eh? Good for you! Hope you're doing better.
So far, very much so, aside from the hot weather (hotter than Miami over the weekend).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston