Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:36 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times

Advertisements

Uh, ohhh. A series of four-way stop signs where people actually do stop. That is how driving is here in rural Northern California & I am moving to Boston. Guess I'll need a Charlie card.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 10:15 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,174 times
Angry STOP BASHING BOSTON - its just like any other city (Actually better)

Stop complaining. Boston is just like any other URBAN CITY. You could say the same about Detroit, Philadelphia, Houston, Miami, Washington DC, LA, St Louis, Chicago, New York. Just about any city is congested, has rude people, and drivers. NOT EVERYONE IN THIS CITY IS RUDE. Yes we are a bit crazy driving, but thats why TOURISTS should NOT DRIVE. Take the "T" or cabs or busses or trains we have plenty of services for getting around here. And also there's a thing called a GPS, you can get on your phone nowadays. Just get a GPS app or on your phone, also get GOOGLEMAPS. I find googlemaps to be quite useful in finding your way around and quite accurate. Some of the gas station stores and bookstores have a guide book (EASTERN MASS Guidebook for about $30 that has a great map of each town in Eastern Mass.) with lots of great shortcut information. I would highly recommend it to anyone from this area or new to town. You can take a highlighter and highlight your shortcut routes and such and have it in your car to help get around jam ups. You MUST LEARN THE SHORTCUTS in Boston to get around. You must get off the main highway and learn the side roads. You do not know how many times I have avoided sitting in traffic on 93 by just getting off the main highway. Its simple once you learn it. But you have to take chances and learn it. Best thing to do is on a SUNDAY when there's less traffic go out on the weekend and drive around mark your routes and shortcuts through the towns on the guidebook. And you'll have plenty of ways to go when the traffic gets bad. But frankly if you can't handle Boston traffic you wont do well in ANY major city. Major cities all have bad traffic and rude drivers. I find New Yorkers even worse than Boston in terms of swearing and arrogance on the roads. I was almost killed on the Cross Bronx Expressway or I felt Like I would be any moment. They dont even have SHOULDERS to pull off on on the CSSBNX. But in terms of Boston as well. Boston is a GREAT City. There is so much to do here and its all quite walkable or a short train or bus ride away. We have a great PARK SYSTEM with trails all over the place for the outdoor folks there's a ton of great fishing , kayaking, canoeing, mountain biking, hiking, running nearby within 15min to an hour of the city depending on where you go. We have lots of great attractions to see and do around the city. What other city can you drive to 5 states in a day, or even a few hours - go up to the mountains in the morning for a hike in NH and then go to the beach in the afternoon -evening on the seacoast, and then back to the city for a late dinner. ??? Not many. Boston is overal a great place , but if you cant handle city lifestyle you shouldn't be in the city. Take your vacations in the country or what not.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-29-2012 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 06-29-2012, 10:17 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,174 times
In the future posts complaining about Boston and the people here should be deleted and the people banned from the Boston forum

Old 06-29-2012, 12:12 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamworksSKG View Post
Stop complaining. Boston is just like any other URBAN CITY. You could say the same about Detroit, Philadelphia, Houston, Miami, Washington DC, LA, St Louis, Chicago, New York. Just about any city is congested, has rude people, and drivers. NOT EVERYONE IN THIS CITY IS RUDE. Yes we are a bit crazy driving, but thats why TOURISTS should NOT DRIVE. Take the "T" or cabs or busses or trains we have plenty of services for getting around here. And also there's a thing called a GPS, you can get on your phone nowadays. Just get a GPS app or on your phone, also get GOOGLEMAPS. I find googlemaps to be quite useful in finding your way around and quite accurate. Some of the gas station stores and bookstores have a guide book (EASTERN MASS Guidebook for about $30 that has a great map of each town in Eastern Mass.) with lots of great shortcut information. I would highly recommend it to anyone from this area or new to town. You can take a highlighter and highlight your shortcut routes and such and have it in your car to help get around jam ups. You MUST LEARN THE SHORTCUTS in Boston to get around. You must get off the main highway and learn the side roads. You do not know how many times I have avoided sitting in traffic on 93 by just getting off the main highway. Its simple once you learn it. But you have to take chances and learn it. Best thing to do is on a SUNDAY when there's less traffic go out on the weekend and drive around mark your routes and shortcuts through the towns on the guidebook. And you'll have plenty of ways to go when the traffic gets bad. But frankly if you can't handle Boston traffic you wont do well in ANY major city. Major cities all have bad traffic and rude drivers. I find New Yorkers even worse than Boston in terms of swearing and arrogance on the roads. I was almost killed on the Cross Bronx Expressway or I felt Like I would be any moment. They dont even have SHOULDERS to pull off on on the CSSBNX. But in terms of Boston as well. Boston is a GREAT City. There is so much to do here and its all quite walkable or a short train or bus ride away. We have a great PARK SYSTEM with trails all over the place for the outdoor folks there's a ton of great fishing , kayaking, canoeing, mountain biking, hiking, running nearby within 15min to an hour of the city depending on where you go. We have lots of great attractions to see and do around the city. What other city can you drive to 5 states in a day, or even a few hours - go up to the mountains in the morning for a hike in NH and then go to the beach in the afternoon -evening on the seacoast, and then back to the city for a late dinner. ??? Not many. Boston is overal a great place , but if you cant handle city lifestyle you shouldn't be in the city. Take your vacations in the country or what not.

I don't know who is going to read that page long paragraph but No, no no to the bolded area!

Boston is NOT like Miami at all

Old 07-03-2012, 08:29 AM

609 posts, read 2,242,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Spent the weekend in Boston and I am leaving this place disappointed, same nasty, rude, stressed culture you see in NJ, Philly and other places.

Driving in this city is like driving in a 3rd world country, a system of roads that makes absolutely no sense, total lack of signs, sometimes, 4 streets intersect and you can't even tell where one ends and the next one starts, one of the most stressful experiences of my life.

Very rude, agressive drivers, absolutely no regard for other people. I was driving on one of the highways and suddenly, here comes a toll booth, no signs, no warning, no way to get off the highway to get some cash, ask the dumbass who works in the booth, how much, he goes "$5.50", I was like, Are you serious?

This dude had the nastiest attitude, he goes like "Do you have the money? It is a YES or NO question", what an *******! So I tell him, I only had $2.50, I am from out of town and I had no way of knowing since there were no signs, he treats me like **** and gives me a stupid piece of paper to fill out. So, I am filling out a piece of paper, while there are 40 cars behind me honking, I have never seen anything more ridiculous.

So, now I owe the Mass DOT, $5.50, and I am supposed to send a check in for that amount. I will be sending the MA DOT, a check for $5.50 next week with a nice "**** YOU" note, what a joke of a city that is!

If Boston is "rude", wait till you get to NYC

Old 07-03-2012, 11:01 AM

506 posts, read 958,005 times
I'm always wondering whats the deal with people bad mouthing Boston? I notice a lot of the people that don't like Boston are from the south. People up north are more reserved than southerners, that maybe seen as "rude." I don't see how not being loud and talkative to everyone is "rude."

I prefer that as opposed to people being obnoxiously loud for no reason. Then again, Boston might suit me more since I'm a introverted person. I like cities with a introverted population. I'm from the NW and we get called the same things, but it suits us just fine.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:29 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I've lived around the Boston metro area for most of the last 31 years. I've driven into Boston only a handful of times and that was on a weekend or evening. It is an absolute "don't do it" for pleasure driving or sightseeing.

In June, I drove south to south Jersey via Tappan Zee Bridge and the Parkway and saw my life flash before my eyes. Way too fast driving and if you get in the wrong lane, forget it, you're in the Holland Tunnel (or Philadelphia or something).

I've driven to the airport about once a year (again, evening, not rush hour) and found taking the Pike through the "new" Ted Williams tunnel is a breeze. A pleasant surprise.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:24 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Boston is NOT like Miami at all
Thank God!

Old 07-06-2012, 11:31 PM

18 posts, read 35,899 times
Worst people I've ever met in the entire country have been in Boston. Bostonians are the most stuck up, self righteous, difficult, miserable, mean, and downright unpleasant people to be around. Generally there are two types of people I met in Boston.

1.) Angry, unhappy men and women trapped in some sort of a racist 1950s "traditional," contemporary puritan mindset.

2.) Stuck up, snotty, spoiled, socially awkward BRATS. Either college kids or Yuppies.

Boston just plain sucks! I gutted it out for 3 years while I finished my undergraduate degree. Got the hell back to L.A. as quickly as I could. Wish I could say I had fonder memories of Boston because I respect the work ethic, but I don't really have much good to say. It's a culture that needs to die and doesn't belong in the 21st century. Racist, closed minded, clueless. Bostonians.

PS A large part of why people are such *******s is probably THE WEATHER! It's terrible there!

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-07-2012 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: language

Old 07-07-2012, 09:47 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz6675 View Post
Worst people I've ever met in the entire country have been in Boston. Bostonians are the most stuck up, self righteous, difficult, miserable, mean, and downright unpleasant people to be around. Generally there are two types of people I met in Boston.

1.) Angry, unhappy men and women trapped in some sort of a racist 1950s "traditional," contemporary puritan mindset.

2.) Stuck up, snotty, spoiled, socially awkward BRATS. Either college kids or Yuppies.

Boston just plain sucks! I gutted it out for 3 years while I finished my undergraduate degree. Got the hell back to L.A. as quickly as I could. Wish I could say I had fonder memories of Boston because I respect the work ethic, but I don't really have much good to say. It's a culture that needs to die and doesn't belong in the 21st century. Racist, closed minded, clueless. Bostonians.

PS A large part of why people are such *******s is probably THE WEATHER! It's terrible there!
Hopefully the door didn't hit you too hard on the way out. Enjoy L.A.

Last edited by massnative71; 07-07-2012 at 10:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston