U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 02:09 PM

8 posts, read 12,926 times

Advertisements

Working in Wilmington, MA with 100K, which is 5 minutes from home . Another potential job offer in downtown for 115K, which is about 1 hour commute by car plus commuter rail plus subway.

Assume everything else is equal, can 15K/year justify 2 hours + commuter cost on the road every day?

How much is short-commute worth is Boston?

Last edited by xpy1999; 10-10-2011 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 02:25 PM

334 posts, read 838,249 times
It really depends on what you want. If you want more money and dont mind as much free time, you should take it. A plus side for me commuting to boston would be i'd have more excuses to do things there and its just a nice environment to work in compared to a place like wilmington, in my opinion. taking the other job would be less stressful, so if i was looking to be over with commuting an settle down a bit, id take it. so it really depends on-holy **** 100k salary?! i will never come close to making that much in a year most likely, let alone 115k. youre asking me about a 15% increase to commute a hellish hour each way?! if i could make that much i wouldnt commute for 15k more, who needs it? i didnt even realize how much youd be making i just saw the 15k increase. if it was 30k salary bumped up to 45k, absolutely the **** yes take the job. but 100k it wouldnt really matter for me, so i guess if i were in youre position it would be all about the actual job. if i liked the closer job better i would pick that one. Again, nobody but yourself can decide but you because its all about what you want, long commute or more money?

Old 10-10-2011, 02:42 PM

16,241 posts, read 25,516,232 times
You couldn't pay me enough (literally and figuratively speaking) to spend that much time commuting. I guess that's why I work from home. But, really, like Bostonmania said, only YOU can decide what you're willing to tolerate.

Factor in the price of gas, the wear and tear on your car, the bad-weather days, the days that you have an appointment close to home that you wouldn't be able to go to without taking half a day off, etc... and you decide if it's worth $15K to you. Maybe you'd rather take the lower-paying, closer-to-home job, and use the extra time to visit Boston at your leisure, instead of when you HAVE to be there for work.

Just some things for you to think about...

Old 10-10-2011, 03:01 PM

8 posts, read 12,926 times
I have been thinking about this. Let's do some math.

1. Assume 260 working days, it is 15k/260 = $57/day extra money, but with 2 extra hours/day, it is $28/extra hour. Worth it? I guess it depends on how much is your hourly rate. 100K/year is about $50/hour. So it is about half of the hourly salary, so it is not worth it.

2. Assume 8 hours/day. Salary is 15% more, but 10 hours is also about 25% more of 8 hours, so it is not worth it.

3. All numbers aside, commuting is a pain.

I guess I will pass the 15k.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:13 PM

16,241 posts, read 25,516,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpy1999 View Post
I have been thinking about this. Let's do some math.

1. Assume 260 working days, it is 15k/260 = $57/day extra money, but with 2 extra hours/day, it is $28/extra hour. Worth it? I guess it depends on how much is your hourly rate. 100K/year is about $50/hour. So it is about half of the hourly salary, so it is not worth it.

2. Assume 8 hours/day. Salary is 15% more, but 10 hours is also about 25% more of 8 hours, so it is not worth it.

3. All numbers aside, commuting is a pain.

I guess I will pass the 15k.
*I* think that you're making the right decision. That's my personal opinion, based on my hatred of commuting. Especially in bad weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or