Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:18 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,954,513 times

Advertisements

Do Boston winters compare to Michigan?

I've heard that winters in Boston are exceptionally long...plus the ocean makes the coldness just linger on longer than usual.

Anyone lived in both Michigan and Boston to do some comparisons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 10:28 AM

22 posts, read 76,108 times
I went to grad school in Michigan (East Lansing) before I moved to MA. I think that the winters in Boston are easier. For one, it does not get quite as cold - I remember stretches in MI where it would be below zero for several days (I always had to get my car jumped b/c it was so cold!). There is also, in general, better snow removal here in the Boston area. Maybe that was just a Lansing problem, but the roads are generally cleared quite well, especially west and north of Boston. Finally, I find it easier to manage because it gets light earlier in the morning. The downside of course is that it is pitch dark at 4:30pm in December, but for me the mornings are key. I remember driving to an 8am class and it would still be very dark out in MI.

I can't really say if the winters seem longer, I think it varies year to year. Sometimes it will not really get warm until mid-June, but sometimes we get the slip-n-slide out in April.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:06 AM

633 posts, read 1,634,162 times
Boston weather is a lot nicer than MI because often the ocean help keep the weather cooler in summer (although I assume it be a little more humid at times) and a few degrees warmer in the winter. Plus it dont snow as much as inland

Old 10-25-2011, 11:09 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,131,569 times
I don't think that Boston winters are "exceptionally" long, especially when compared to northern New England, for example.

But Michigan is a big state. There's a huge difference in climate between, say, Detroit and Marquette. But overall the winter is less severe in Boston than in most parts of MI. Boston doesn't really get as cold as anywhere in Michigan. The snowfall is about the same as in Detroit or Lansing, but considerably less than anywhere in western or northern Michigan.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:36 AM

14,459 posts, read 11,198,221 times
Weatherbase - Records and Averages for United States of America - Travel, Vacation and Reference Information

Old 10-27-2011, 06:49 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,801,927 times
I lived in suburban Detroit (Macomb County) when I was a kid, and recall the winters being very similar to Boston. The biggest difference I remember was the sunrise/sunset as mentioned in another post. Of course, here in Boston you can get a pretty big variation in snowfall between the south shore, and say Worcester.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:06 PM

16,284 posts, read 42,954,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natickmomof2 View Post
Finally, I find it easier to manage because it gets light earlier in the morning. The downside of course is that it is pitch dark at 4:30pm in December, but for me the mornings are key. I remember driving to an 8am class and it would still be very dark out in MI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
The biggest difference I remember was the sunrise/sunset as mentioned in another post.
That's an interesting thing to note. Personally, I've never liked going home home from work in the dark, particularly when sunset is 4:30.

That was one of the biggest differences I noted when I moved from MI to Minneapolis. Get out of work at 5pm, and already dark out. Depressing. Just felt like you didn't see any sunlight at all - as when I'm going to work, I can't adequately enjoy it, as I might when getting out of work.

So, to sum up, someone correct me this is wrong, but in Boston, you have sunset around 4:30 during the peak of winter?

Old 10-27-2011, 07:11 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,327,528 times
In Michigan, something seems to be falling from the sky almost daily, either snow or sleet or flakes. We have storms in MA but in between we have blue-sky days.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:32 PM

13,941 posts, read 14,806,353 times
Boston is warmer, snowier (besides lake effect areas), and windier than MI

Old 10-27-2011, 09:50 PM

8,799 posts, read 21,192,176 times
That was one of the biggest differences I noted when I moved from MI to Minneapolis, Get out of work at 5pm, and already dark out. Depressing. Just felt like you didn't see any sunlight at all

But, aren't Michigan and Minnesota pretty much on the same lattitude?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston