Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 09:02 PM

4 posts, read 7,519 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

I'm taking a job in the Boston area and moving to the area in January. We are looking for some advice to help our relocation.

We are a family of 3 (2 adults + 18m old toddler) with a medium-sized dog (cocker spaniel) currently living in Northern Virginia. My work will be in Dorchester, close to the JFK-UMass T station.

We are looking to rent a 3 bedroom house/apartment that is pet-friendly and fairly modern/renovated (for example, washer/dryer in unit is a must). My budget is up to $2300.

We would like a family-oriented area with fairly easy access to shops, restaurants and some entertainment. Searching the forum, it looks like Brookline, Newton, Chestnut Hill always come up as good options and an they are about 8-10 mile commute (according to google maps). Quincy and other locations in the south also seem OK and seem to offer shorter commutes.

Any suggestions on areas with these features and a fairly easy commute? Driving in the Northern Virgina is horrible. My 9-mile commute used to take 35 minutes on average.

My wife currently doesn't work and will be looking for activities to do with our child. Here in Virginia, the counties have good recreational centers that provide a great option. Any similar options in the Boston area?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 10:18 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,020 times
Brookline, Newton, etc., are definitely nice. But they are not well positioned for commuting to U/Mass. You should look at areas in Quincy or Dorchester near the Red Line. Your budget should give you some good options in both locations.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:57 PM

866 posts, read 2,627,007 times
Congratulations on your upcoming move! I just moved to Boston from Baltimore, and I was working in DC.

Unfortunately, traffic here is pretty bad. I do a reverse commute from the city to the suburbs, but I still encounter slow-downs at unexpected times. I would suggest living as close as possible to work, or take the T if you can. I'm still new to the area, but Quincy, Braintree, and Milton all seem to be pretty nice towns that are pretty close to where you'll be working. These areas are close to Boston, too, all within 10 miles of downtown.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:55 AM

157 posts, read 570,370 times
It sounds like the towns you listed would be decent for what your wife is looking for as far as social outlets, parks, activities... But they would not be very convenient to JFK/UMass. Your commute would be back roads with lots of traffic lights and indirect routes.

You should check out Milton or certain neighborhoods in Quincy. Since you aren't buying and schools aren't an issue your options are a bit more wide open. You might like Squantum/Wollastan areas so your wife can take advantage of the beach and parks along the coast. Conversly Milton features the Blue Hills reservation which has a lot of public park facilites and great hiking trails. There's other more 'urban' parks in milton as well if you are closer to quincy/east milton square.

Milton is going to be more NoVa like than Quincy, and Newton/Chestnut Hill even more so. Brookline will vary from very city like to more suburban like depending on which area you are in. Chestnut Hill is probably the most aesthetically pleaseing but not by much, as all of these areas are pretty nice.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:00 AM

157 posts, read 570,370 times
Also, I'd say traffic in Boston is as bad as DC Metro area just in different ways. Boston is fairly predictable, where as I always felt like DC was a constant crapshoot as far as what section of highway was going to be backed-up on a given saturday afternoon.

My point is, in Boston, you know it's never going to be quick to get somewhere, but rarely is it HORRIIFICALLY unless construction is going on or if you are tring to get somewhere during rushhour and traffic is exacerbated by an unexpected issue.

I feel like with DC< theres a chance there' sno traffic and you MIGHT be able to cruise on the beltway to where you need to be quickly. IN boston since the network of highways is less prevalent and the city more compact this isn't really a consideration.

Bottom line, Boston is less highway bound than DC, much ofyou rdriving is going to be on backroads and undivided traffic lighted 2 lane streets that are pretty urban.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:46 PM

Thanks all for the replies.

I spent a few days in Boston and checked out some of the areas that I mentioned previously. They are all nice, but the options are limited. Quincy has some interesting options (Archstone Quarry Hills is one of them).

I also drove down to Dedham and Norwood, which seem to be nice, but a little further out. Braintree and Weymouth also had some options, but I only checked online.

A lot of people from work suggested looking into the South Shore and taking the commuter rail up to JFK/UMass station.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:11 AM

866 posts, read 2,627,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantor_usa View Post
Thanks all for the replies.

I spent a few days in Boston and checked out some of the areas that I mentioned previously. They are all nice, but the options are limited. Quincy has some interesting options (Archstone Quarry Hills is one of them).

I also drove down to Dedham and Norwood, which seem to be nice, but a little further out. Braintree and Weymouth also had some options, but I only checked online.

A lot of people from work suggested looking into the South Shore and taking the commuter rail up to JFK/UMass station.
Braintree, Weymouth, and Hingham are all nice towns. You could easily take the T in from the Braintree Station each day (they have parking there).

Old 12-21-2011, 09:54 AM

18 posts, read 35,300 times
Jamaica plain might be an option. Great for people with young families and dogs. We really like it here.

We are actually thinking of going back to NOVA (leesburg or purcellville) with a dog and an 18 month old and twins on the way. maybe you can talk us out of leaving lol

Old 12-21-2011, 12:47 PM

158 posts, read 545,548 times
If you live on the South Shore you can take the rail or the T, but the rail is preferable.

Driving north and south is much easy than coming in from the west. That cross city commute is tough.

What neighborhoods of NOVA, so people can compare?

Old 12-26-2011, 12:16 PM

I currently live in Alexandria, in a area called Kingstowne. We love it here.

I will be in the Boston area again next week to look for some additional areas and will check out your recommendations.

Jamaica Plain came up several times in conversations with people in the office. I will check it out again.

The challenge that I've been facing so far is finding a place fairly modern, spacious, dog-friendly, not too far from work and convenient to shops/parks/kids activities.

@nibletsmama - Leesburg and Purceville are nice, but too far if you have to commute to the city. I'm the type of person who can't stand being in the car for too long to/from work.

Thanks all again for all the tips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston