Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 12:13 AM

3 posts, read 4,791 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been wanting to move to the east coast for a while, experience something new. I'm from California and am a bit, bored?

I am 18 years old, im going to community college right now. I will be an EMT (emergency medical technician) in December. I am almost done with some general ed courses now.

I have a job, making under 10 / hour right now doing retail. I dont mind it, although i'd rather get a job as an EMT.

I want to go to school to become a nurse in the emergency room, so im doing community college now and will transfer to a university in a few years when I complete.

I have been wanting to move to Boston or New York for a while now. I have been researching and researching for a while on moving. New York might be too big of a jump, although I have family not too far outside of the city. Boston seems like an easier city to start out in for my first move. Although im sure nothing of this will be easy; i'm ready to accept challanges.

As far as moving goes, I don't know much about it. My plans are weary, all I could think of is flying there around New Years, stay in a hostel for a week or two until I find an apartment on craigslist.

I will apply for community college in the city before I go, the only decent one I found is Bunker Hill CC?

Before I elaborate too much on my move I have some questions.

1. Is Bunker Hill a decent community college? I'm coming from a city college from California, so i'm not expecting much.

2. Is my idea of staying in a hostel while finding places on craiglist good? bad? Whats the best way to do this.

3. EMT jobs in boston, I doubt I'll get much information on this since its job specific, but I might apply to a few places when I get there. Right now I can apply to some retail stores online just so I have SOMETHING when I arrive.

4. Places in Boston. What are some places I want to avoid? Maybe look into more? I want somewhere near downtown, but nothing too expensive. Something a student could afford, I dont mind taking out some student loans. Nurses make OK money when I become one. Somewhere semi safe, I come from a quiet suburban california area. I want somewhere decent, but low rent.

5. Is sharing an apartment safe? At least from finding an ad on craigslist? Is it best to find a studio or something of the like?

6. As far as paying rent goes, do you need a co signer? My parents would hate to co sign, and my credit is ZERO. Financially, I have a few thousand saved up for the move, is there a safe # I should be at? School will be paid for, as I have some saved up thankfully for that.

Thanks for reading this, sorry for making it long however its a huge step in my life. I will have a backup plan, in case I go there and hate it. Doubtful it wil happen, as i loved the city in New York, and dont mind the cold. I'll make sure im registered for classes in boston and my current city and will cancel whichever one I am not attending later in January.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 01:38 PM

332 posts, read 1,017,941 times
This is cool because im an EMT as well! I have never worked in Boston as one, but i have worked in Malden, which is a smaller city a few miles north. Boston is a cool city, and i think it would be easier to start out in, its so much smaller and slightly cheaper. How i would go about moving would be to first look for a job before moving, definitely, I wouldnt come out here without one, and then find an apartment on craigslist. I'd look outside the city, its easier to find cheap apartments there. And you should try to find roomates, most people on craigslist are legitamently looking for roomates, but its better if you have connections that know other people looking for roomates. I wouldnt come and stay in a hostel here, dont think it would work. Get a good plan before you move, several apartments you could afford, a job lined up, and if you find any, contact the roomates you'd be staying with.

As for BHCC, i've known plenty of people who've gone there, its not pristine, but its a good community college and really easy to get to off the orange line. Most of the people going there are working full time jobs. You'll probably be using the T alot ( subway), so i'd look for places near the T. Malden is where i've lived the longest, moved recently out of there, and i think you should look into it. It has great subway access, if you're going to BHCC then its only a few stops down. It has reasonable rent and okay crime, great community, and you could definitely get to where you need to be from there. Boston is an easy 20 minute subway ride in. look in quincy as well, which is on the southern end of the red line, or cambridge on the other end of the red line.

Apply to as many jobs as possible, they're tight out here. There are like 5 major companies employing EMTs out here, Boston EMS is the largest and my friends say its great, but you have to be good and live in boston, cant live outside the city. If you worked there look to live in jamaica plain, which is real nice place to live. AME, cataldo, and Fallon are the others. AME and fallon arent as good as cataldo in terms of the system generally. i gotta go so im gonna end this

Old 11-30-2011, 07:42 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
What is low rent to you? In T-accessible Boston areas, I would consider $500 a month (not including utilities) a steal for a room with roommates, though you can luck out and go cheaper. This time of year is particularly hard since something like 80% of rentals are on a September 1 cycle - there are definitely really great deals because it's off season but the general rental stock is might tighter.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:12 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times
Hi there minneola,

This is quite an adventure you're embarking on and I commend you for taking the initiative to experience somewhere new and different. I grew up in New England but went to college in California, and after living in many different places, settled in Boston. It is probably my favorite city in the country.

But it is a very expensive place to live. Not as expensive as New York or many cities in California, but it's tough to find a desirable location when you're young and don't have much money. If you're used to a comfy suburban lifestyle, be prepared to live in much tighter quarters (OK, so not "Manhattan apartment tight", but still).

Given your situation I'm not sure you'll be able to afford a decent studio apartment. I would definitely look for roommates. roommates.com is probably a better place to find the right match than craigslist, but some listings are only going to be on craigslist. If you play your cards right you may find other students looking for a new roommate for the new semester. You don't want your Boston experience completely ruined by the people you live with, so be sure to meet them and a get a feel for them before you make any final decisions.

That said, apartments do go fast in Boston. I think staying in a hostel somewhere downtown is a nice idea, as the staff are usually helpful and you could meet some other young people (although they'll most likely be travelers). However, if you don't find an apartment within a few days, the cost of the hostel will eat through your savings pretty quickly. Another option is couchsurfing.org, which, although a little frightening for first-timers, is actually a great way to save money and meet helpful, outgoing locals. People offer to host you for a couple of days free of charge. Just be safe and only contact people with many positive references.

First things first: take the time to familiarize yourself with Boston's neighborhoods, the surrounding cities, and our public transit system:

Neighborhoods | City of Boston
MBTA Subway 'The 'T' > Maps, Schedules, and Fare Information for the Boston Area Subway System

Old 11-30-2011, 09:13 PM

I know nothing about Bunker Hill CC (aside from getting off at the "T" (subway) station), but there is another community college in Roxbury. I also know nothing about the school, but my guess is that Bunker Hill is probably the more desirable of the two. Roxbury has a fairly negative reputation and is one of the neighborhoods I would definitely advise against, even though the rents are cheaper. The same goes for Dorchester. The area near the JFK/UMass T stop is OK, but it's not really a fun area to live in, aside from the convenience of the Red Line and the proximity of the Harborwalk.

Going farther from the city, namely to the north or south, does get you cheaper rents, but personally I would be too depressed living somewhere like Malden, even if you did find a place close to the Malden T stop. You expressed a desire to be close to downtown and I assume that means you're looking for a certain degree of liveliness, youth, and walkability.

East Boston has cheap rents and is close to downtown via the Blue Line (you'd have to change for the Orange Line at State St. to reach Bunker Hill CC), but it's much more of an immigrant working class community with fewer students. I'd rather live here than in Roxbury or Dorchester (at the very least, it's more walkable), but it's still a little rough around the edges.

If you boost your budget up a little bit from the Dorchester/Roxbury/working class suburb rents, then Mission Hill might be worth looking into. It's between the Orange Line (which goes to Bunker Hill CC) and the Green Line, although the Orange Line side is the sketchier part, I'd say. There is a big student population, though, and the neighborhood has made great strides in recent years. It may be the closest to young student life you can get on your budget.

South Boston is nice if you get lucky and find something within your budget. Basically, I wouldn't limit your craigslist search too much, because you might even find a cheap room in a large shared house in Cambridge, in the heart of the student population. Somerville is also an option; East Somerville is close to BHCC & the Orange Line, although the more desirable parts of the city are probably along the Red Line.

Fortunately, Boston's public transportation is very comprehensive and easy to use, although you should still take a couple of days using a weekly T pass to get your bearings and explore the different neighborhoods of the city within your budget.

And yes, definitely try to line up a job before you get here, even if it's just in retail. That will make things a lot easier for you. Also, if you don't have a job then most landlords will almost certainly make you get a co-signer (I'd be a little wary of them if they didn't, personally). If you can prove that you're employed then I think a lot of landlords won't ask for a co-signer. I'm not 100% sure on how it all works but that's my advice.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:58 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
You'd actually do better by going to RCC because nursing is one of their stronger curriculum areas. People paint Roxbury with a broad brush. A lot of it's sketchy if not worse. But the section where the school is situated isn't so bad. RCC's main gate is at a busy intersection opposite a big sports/events building (the Reggie Lewis Center.) The Orange Line transit station is right across the way. I go to events at "the Reggie" from time to time and never look over my shoulder. And you'd probably have plenty of classmates who'll also be using the train and could walk to/from the stop with you. Should you wind up living in Jamaica Plain, the "T" will have you at school or home inside of ten minutes. Other good (and less expensive) neighborhoods south of downtown are Roslindale, Hyde Park, and West Roxbury. All of them are connected to the Orange Line by frequent and reliable bus service out of the Forest Hills terminal.

[About West Roxbury: When people were originally starting to settle outside the core area during the 1800's, one large piece of territory was all known as Roxbury. Over time it evolved into distinct villages - if you will - and for whatever reason West Roxbury ended up being what the far end of the area became known as. No one saw the need to do any name changes. So even though Roxbury and "Westie" are miles apart in more ways than one they have "Roxbury" in common. DO NOT CONFUSE THE TWO. As I've mentioned, Roxbury is a mixed-bag community with some parts (like Mission Hill and Highland Park) that are nice and many which are "less than." West Roxbury is one of the city's outermost neighborhoods. It has a totally relaxed suburban feel, and is almost entirely populated by White people - including a fair quantity of Jewish households among the sizable number of Irish Catholics. Roxbury OTOH is mainly Black/Hispanic while some sections are very diverse, like Mission Hill with its big student contingent.]

Malden's main selling point is its excellent transit access and relatively low cost of living. I personally also like it for its eclectic ethnic composition and unpretentious vibe. Students and yuppies dwell in the big high-rises and loft buildings that have gone up near the main T stop, as well as in the older apartment houses scattered throughout the city. The proportion of Southeast Asian (Chinese, Vietnamese, etc) and AA/West Indian residents is one of the larger percentages in the region. But it's not particularly youth-oriented the way Boston's neighborhoods downtown and near the big universities are. Until you turn 21 - when they card in this town they're not playing - there's not much to do for good times in the evenings and on weekends. At least in Boston/Cambridge/Brookline/Somerville there are plenty of 18+ concerts and whatnot that you can be in on.
When I was fresh off the boat here (I'm "your parents' age") there were lots of cheap safe options for short-term housing. To me it's sad that all the gentrification which has gone on has made most of those options vanish. A youth hostel is definitely not a wise choice for someone with all their worldly possessions in tow. They have a reputation throughout the world for being good places to see your belongings for the last time. Y's were once a reliable resource. But now their guest rooms are mostly set aside for folks who'd otherwise be homeless, and many of those people are - shall we say - "social services clients." HOWEVER - there are YMCA's in Malden Center and Somerville which may have spaces available where you wouldn't have behavioral-health patients and "recovering" substance abusers living along the same hallway. Forget about the YW's and YM's in Cambridge and Boston. Rooms at the Y are what they are, small as can be with only basic furniture. Bath facilities? A dozen or so stalls, and rows of sinks and showers, in one large space on each floor. You get what you pay for - just remember that you can be outta there as soon as you find good digs.

All colleges have a resource for people seeking roommate situations, even if it's only a virtual or actual notebook in the Student Affairs office. I would utilize something like that ahead of craigslist if I were you. Depending on where in LA you're from, you might not feel "sticker shock," but rents here are definitely not cheap. No one besides the uber-rich is living on their own. And when you're sharing an apartment with persons from the same school it's of course easy to ride the T together. There's also inevitably the chance to score a room in the house of a faculty/staff member. The local "Boston Phoenix" newspaper, with its bostonphoenix.com online edition, is still a popular place for space-share ads along with CL. As would be the case with listings at a school, it's the proverbial roll of the dice. You could end up with new BFF's - or with the Housemates from Hell. "Been there, done that" on both counts.

As a person who blindly uprooted from a stifling parental situation in a boring hometown and launched themselves east on a wing and a prayer, I love it whenever somebody's aiming to do the same. All these years later I've never regretted it. Hopefully you can look back in ten years or so and feel that way. Best o' luck!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:15 PM

I've never stayed at any of the youth hostels in Boston, but I've stayed at hundreds of hostels in the US and in Europe and never once had anything stolen from me. Same goes for all of my friends and travel companions. You're far more likely to get pick-pocketed on the street than have somebody at a hostel steal your stuff.

Also, most hostels have lockers (although you usually need to bring your own lock). They may not be big enough to fit all of your belongings, but you can at least put your most valuable possessions in a locker for an extra sense of security.

goyguy, thanks for the info about RCC. I would never have guessed it would be better for nursing than BHCC, but there you go. I am actually working in Roxbury currently (Dudley Square area), so I also take point with some of the overgeneralizations about the neighborhood, but for a first-time visitor coming from a suburban area I think it's wise to get a sense of what she's in for. If the OP does end up choosing RCC then Mission Hill would probably be a convenient place to live.

Heading south towards JP/Roslindale/West Roxbury, I didn't suggest these areas because I assumed they'd be a little too old and suburban-feeling for the OP. I actually have no idea what the rent is like in these neighborhoods, but I thought they were relatively high?

Old 12-01-2011, 12:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,636 times
minneola24, you seem like you have a good head on your shoulders. You're 18 and have money saved to move, I can tell you're very mature. A friend of mine moved here from Tucson, AZ for school, and-besides going home for some holidays and the occasional vacation- she has rooted herself in Boston. She loves it. I think moving to Boston would be a better decision before moving to New York. Without a lot of money, NY can be a drag (I'm 22 and still don't have enough money to move there!) but it will always be there. There are several busses and trains that run to NYC regularly. So whenever you want that "Manhattan" experience, you can get it. And if you decide to move in the future, it will be an easier move than hauling all your stuff cross-country!

If you want to live in the city and want cheap rent you will need roommates. It's already December and it's going to be tight looking for a January rent. I advise you sublet a room in an apartment. This way you don't have a long-term lease agreement (most sublets are for 3+/- months- we run on a semester cycle here) and you will be able to find something more in your budget range.

You may think you want to be downtown but it is going to be way too expensive. When I first moved to Boston (from Southeastern Massachusetts) I was infatuated with the North End (Boston's Italian neighborhood) and had to live there. So my friends and I paid a ridiculous amount of money to live in a tiny apartment. That was a mistake. The lesson learned was- don't be afraid to check out some of Boston's neighborhoods further from downtown. Compared to cities in California, Boston is TINY. I mean it's small. We only have about 50 square miles of land, and most of the city is connected by our mass transit, the MBTA. We call it the T.

Mission Hill is close to downtown (like, 2 miles away. If that.) and is accessible by the Orange Line, the Green Line, and the #39 MBTA bus. I lived in Mission Hill, and while it is nice with a main square with some bars and a grocery store, it was boring to me.

Allston has a huge young student crowd. There are a ton of bars and shops, and it's very lively. You could find a cheap sublet in that area with people your own age. However, the bars may be tempting, but you won't be able to drink there. You've still got three more years for that. Luckily, Allston has lots of house parties. If you have roommates, they will take you to these house parties, and you can meet people. Just be prepared for the hipsters.

While many people give Roxbury/Dorchester a bad reputation, it is based more on media hype than anything. Yes, they have their bad areas. Yes, a good percentage of crime is focused on those neighborhoods. But most of it is safe. Roxbury and Dorchester are both very large neighborhoods with their own distinct sections. I live in Lower Roxbury right now, in an area called Frederick Douglass Square. It's a beautiful neighborhood, comprised mostly of single-family townhouses and a few apartments. Yes, we may be in "Roxbury" but I feel very safe in my neighborhood. My rent isn't insanely high, and I get a lot for my money. A huge townhouse with a basement, a ground floor with a beautiful kitchen, a second and third floor for bedrooms, and a roof deck. And the location is great. It would be very close to Roxbury Community College.

Jamaica Plain is also a wonderful neighborhood but it's starting to get pricey (do we blame it on Whole Foods?) but you could probably find a cheap sublet situation there. I have a friend who rented a room in a house near Hyde Square, JP for $500 a month. You'd have to look, but you could find something.

Moving takes a lot of time and effort and I highly recommend you come to Boston to visit for a week at least before you decide on moving. Does it have to be in January? Give yourself some time, come visit for a week in March/April and explore the neighborhoods. Look on Craigslist and schedule times to find a summer sublet. Meet the people who would be your roommates, determine if you would want to live with them. And then you could move here in June and have a nice summer while you look for a more permanent living situation.

I'm also going to recommend you get a bike upon coming to Boston. Boston is a small city, and on a bike you really get a feel for how small it is. Plus, since the T shuts down at 12:45 AM every night, you 'll have a mode of transport you can use 24 hours a day

Old 12-01-2011, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,127 times
Great info shared
thank you so much .....

[url=http://acedesignflorida.com/]commercial contractor florida[/url]

Old 12-02-2011, 05:38 PM

188 posts, read 497,069 times
You are mature for an 18 year old which is a HUGE plus coming here. I moved her in Sept. I love it here! That being said I have met a lot of people here from California who dont like Boston. Now these are people from southern cal and their many complaint is not money, its weather. They are used to not having seasons in fact I have a friend from San Diego who lives here and she misses not having to wear a coat..but at the same time she loves this city and she sold her car and was hapy about that too. So its more so what you like. Are u comfortable with dealing with snow? Silly question Im sure, but Ive found a lot of people who move here from warm climates dont like this snow thing. But that may not be you. As far as jobs go I came here with no job and got one the 2nd week I was here. A good job too! Ive never gotten a job that fast anywhere else I have moved to. There is a large college crowd here, and most of those 18 yr. olds will not be mature as you are. Go out and have fun, but remember YOU unlike most of them will have bills to pay, so dont get caught up in that "lets go out every night crowd", most of them live in dorms and have no bills. That being said, yes have roommates. Most people who move here go on craigslist...but dont rent a room without seeing it first! I have to stress that cause so many young people get caught up in that trap and get swindled. Most people here have roomies so be prepared for that. And yes its common here to start out living with people you dont know, it works out pretty well so dont be afraid to do that. Welcome to Boston!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston