Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 05:24 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,823,437 times

Advertisements

I'm from a warm state so all this winter living was new to me when I first got to MA. Here is my impression:
The roads and highways get plowed so if you don't have to get somewhere in a hurry, you typically can wait it out until the roads are cleared of snow. With the salt, it's like driving on wet slushy road if the snow has not been removed completely. If you wait long enough for the plows to do a good job, the roads are just wet (like after a rain but much dirtier). On occasion, a freeze happens after light rain or a lot of snow melt and that's Black ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 05:39 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
You shouldn't need to take a road test or a written test if you have a valid, unexpired CA license. Massachusetts RMV - Converting an Out-of-State License

Thanks a lot for that informative link.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-08-2011, 08:33 AM

301 posts, read 1,327,090 times
Snow tires are indispensable in a city that gets as much snow and ice as Boston. They can be lifesavers or at the very least save you from rear-ending someone. Remember, even the smallest fender-bender car ruin your day, not to mention the ensuing hassles with insurance companies etc...A good pair of winter tires and long with winter rims will set you back around $600 every few years. It's a small price to pay for safety. Heck, even the cheapest, dedicated winter tire is better than the best all season tire when it comes to winter roads. I wouldn't brave winter roads without them. Get them---you will notice the difference immediately!

Old 12-12-2011, 10:25 AM

3 posts, read 9,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestman View Post
Snow tires are indispensable in a city that gets as much snow and ice as Boston. They can be lifesavers or at the very least save you from rear-ending someone. Remember, even the smallest fender-bender car ruin your day, not to mention the ensuing hassles with insurance companies etc...A good pair of winter tires and long with winter rims will set you back around $600 every few years. It's a small price to pay for safety. Heck, even the cheapest, dedicated winter tire is better than the best all season tire when it comes to winter roads. I wouldn't brave winter roads without them. Get them---you will notice the difference immediately!
While all of this is true, I have found that after I moved closer to the city, I did not need my snow tires.

I used to drive way more, on more rural Western Mass roads, that's where you'd wish you had the tires. If you don't commute very far, don't commute on narrow rural roads (say, a couple miles outside of 95), if you don't commute in the 'wee' hours (night/early morning/late evening), you'll be fine. The roads usually get plowed/driven over well enough. Snow doesn't last here in Boston, usually melts the next day (last winter was a bit of an exception), so the roads are clear.

Also, depending on your tire size, 4 decent snow tires can be had for as low as $300 (tirerack). My GF used to do very well in her Civic with JUST 2 front tires (Rt. 9 - Goshen - Pittsfield, which is windy, mountainous, and not plowed as well as the city)

Old 12-12-2011, 03:02 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
No, no LAW forcing it, just have tires with good tread on them, To me at least, "Snow Tire" means steel studded, which are loud, USUALLY not needed, and there's only a couple months you can legally use them. However, our year round tires would most likely look like snow tires compared to whats used in SoCal.
NO! There are many great snow tires which are NOT studded and some are stud-able. I've lived in New England most of my life and I am a firm believer in having good snow tires in the winter on my cars. And I'd rather have good snow tires on my car than having it be AWD. I'm fine driving in the winter with a FWD car and good snow tires.

Studded snow tires tear up the pavement, and because of that, most states have restrictions on studded snow tire usage. In MA, motor vehicles can only have them on from November 2nd to April 30th.

http://www.milexautocare.com/steering/steer6.htm

Otherwise, on occasion, I've used Nokian (unstudded) snow tires on my car all year around.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:17 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
You know, I went into the "Car Talk" website and tried to ask them, but they wanted to charge $13.95 or something for an anwer. You guys gave me much greater advice for free. Thanks !

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-13-2011, 07:19 PM

188 posts, read 497,166 times
dont get them...you dont need it. Its a waste of money. You have to take off the ones you have toss those put on the snow ones then when winter ends toss those and get new tires again.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:24 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelife11 View Post
dont get them...you dont need it. Its a waste of money. You have to take off the ones you have toss those put on the snow ones then when winter ends toss those and get new tires again.
NO!!! You can only speak for yourself and not the OP or anyone else in MA. Much depends on where they are driving on a regular basis and what time of day.

If someone needs to start their day early, then snow tires are invaluable if they need to go to work early and before the snow plows have treated and cleared the roads. Or if any of the roads they drive are narrow and with elevation changes and not flat. My sister got an AWD car because her bf (and now husband) lived on Mission Hill in Boston and winter time travel was difficult. I'd think that if anyone lived on Beacon Hill, they would have the same issues.

Snow tires can also be helpful if one is just passing through Boston and the parking spaces have chunks of snow and ice in and around them if they aren't plowed out well.

Having a set of snow tires is cheaper in the long run than owning an AWD car or truck all year around when you factor in the decreased fuel efficiency and increased costs of maintaining and repairing an AWD car over a FWD one.

Many tire shops offer free seasonal tire swaps, and even some offer free tire storage. Or get a set of steel rims to keep the snow tires permanently mounted on.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:06 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,809,353 times
We might have more snow than years ago but I don't think we need snow tires. I'd recommend a snowblower if you are home owner though. Aries is big..loud and heavy but gets it done.

I WOULD say that if you have a truck that tube sand might be needed. Basically this is to prevent fishtailing.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:51 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,433,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
NO!!! You can only speak for yourself and not the OP or anyone else in MA. Much depends on where they are driving on a regular basis and what time of day.
Dude, all your posts start with "No!" Why so serious?

I drove a friggin front-wheel-drive Mitsubishi Eclipse year-round in Chicago for 7 years without snow tires. Snow tires really are not a necessity in this day and age.

Are they a "nice to have?" Sure.
Are they absolutely necessary if you live in or near Boston? Not in this new world of front-wheel and four-wheel-drive vehicles, almost all with traction control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston