Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,063 times

Advertisements

I'm a single guy looking to move from southeast Michigan (just outside of Detroit) to the Boston area. I'm an IT guy looking for a place to eventually settle down, so I plan to start with an apartment. I'd rather take the train than drive if a commute is required. I'm into culture and nature rather than drinking and sports. As I don't have kids, I don't need to worry about schools yet. I'd rather not spend too much on an apartment, though I know that my rent will increase compared to what I pay now.

Any recommendations as to where I should look to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 12:27 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
It really depends where you will be working and how much you can afford to spend (and whether or not that amount is realistic--for some reason people seem to assume that $1000 is the magic number for a good one-bedroom in a decent neighborhood. It's not).

Old 01-03-2012, 05:21 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,708 times
There are a lot of tech companies on the I-95 corridor, especially north of route I-90. Cambridge also has a bunch obviously and downtown Boston as well. Mass transportation isn't really going to help you for jobs in the big office parks along 95 though.

My suggestion would be the Waltham area, which is basically where 90 and 95 intersect. There are 3 commuter rail stops (near Brandeis University, on Moody Street, and Waverley Square). Those give you a ~20 minute ride to Porter Square, where you can connect to the Red Line for a reasonable commute to most of Cambridge. The rail line terminates in Boston. There are pretty different demographics across those sections of Waltham. Some people find Moody to be rough around the edges and is a predominantly Hispanic area. If you aren't looking for something super nice though there are pretty reasonable rents to be had. There are also very big office parks in Waltham with tech companies although they aren't very accessible by mass transportation. Waltham also has a nice bike path that starts around the Moody Street area and runs along the river through bordering towns of Newton, Watertown, and Boston.

I think you'd be cutting out a lot of of job opportunities by avoiding ones that would require a car. There are just too many jobs outside the city. Also, given that you don't have a partner in tow, it could be worth looking for a roommate to save on rent.

Another option would be Newton in the Waban / Upper Falls section. That would be less affordable, but quieter and has walking access to some nice parks while being close to I-95 for any jobs that pop up there.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:12 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
If you are into nature western mass is much more rural than the east but a day trip isn't that much out of the question. There are some parks around. You are in luck though that much of the greenery in boston is getting back into bloom as the big dig is finished.

There is a larger older series with a odd name
Emerald Necklace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Not everyone knows the name of this but it goes back more than a century.

For culture here's a few things
In the summer the BSO is in western mass in Tanglewood..it can get a bit pricey though
Home | Boston Symphony Orchestra | bso.org

I'd also add that the MFA (Museum of Fine Arts) added a new wing in the past year or so and it's about 5% smaller than the Louve.

Although driving in and out of boston is a bit easier (a bit) I'd recommend taking the T around to various events. Just keep in mind like vfrex said not having a car is going to limit some of the jobs around. The T might have some cuts so I don't think relying on it for everything is a good idea.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:47 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
...for some reason people seem to assume that $1000 is the magic number for a good one-bedroom in a decent neighborhood. It's not).
Ok. So what is that "magic" number in your opinion? I haven't rented in 13 or so years, so I have no idea.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,063 times
Taking the train over driving is simply a person preference. I'm more than willing to drive as well. I'd like to keep the commute within an hour, if possible. A walkable neighborhood is very much preferable as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston