U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 01:45 AM

160 posts, read 259,266 times

Advertisements

After another recent visit to Boston, I was reminded of how much I enjoyed being there, and my friend talked me into considering expanding my search for a summer internship to Boston or just consider subletting her roomate's bedroom over the summer - of course, she's located in the heart of back bay and her rent is about twice what I pay in Philly(outside of Center City, which I'm also priced out of).

I live in University City in Philly currently, in a slightly more residential, young neighborhood right off Upenn's campus that's across the river from Center City. I like it, and my first thought was to look in Cambridge because of the similarities if I couldn't find a room in a more central area of Boston that fit my budget(i.e., 800 including utilities max. Not gonna go far, I know) - but I would appreciate some advice on other neighborhoods and the rental process in Boston. I would be subletting and looking to live with roommates, as I know I can't afford a place of my own.

I'm looking for a young(obviously not going to be a difficult feat in Boston), fun, conveniently situated neighborhood, it can err on the side of residential, and I know it probably will - but if I could find a relatively urban neighborhood that's dense/walkable and convenient to public transportation all while adhering to my budget, I'd be a happy camper.

The area I live in now experiences a lot of "spillover crime" and is surrounded by blighted areas on three sides and I am accustom to sketchy areas of Philly, so while I do not want to live in the ghetto and if I could choose I would much prefer to live in a more desirable area like Back Bay, I am comfortable living in an area that is gentrifying(but considered relatively safe for a young female).

Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 04:05 AM

538 posts, read 1,044,326 times
Skydiverinreverse, The first area that comes to minde that fits your description is the Allston Brighton area of Boston. Lots of college and just out of college age groups, with larger appartments. Busy but safe area, lots of T access including the Green line. Loads of walking distant social life, resteraunts. Definatly younger croud. This is not as upscale as the Back Bay, but more affordable. Hope this helps

Old 01-06-2012, 04:25 AM

439 posts, read 765,640 times
There are lots of sublets listed on Craigslist.
boston sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist
Big bedroom in 4 bed, 2.5 bath townhouse (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/sub/2785693093.html - broken link)

I would look at the Allston/Brighton areas that are close to Commonwealth Ave. Its young, lots to do, and the green line runs frequently (on Commonwealth) to Boston. Plus you've got some bus service to Cambridge and Boston. Its not flawless (some crime), but I wasn't any more uncomfortable there than I was in Back Bay. There are a lot of postings there, probably because BC and BU students rent for the school year and leave for the summer.

Central Square in Cambridge is another good option. You always get some unique characters hanging outside the Red Line stop, but I've walked around late night and felt ok. There are a lot of bars and restaurants in the area, and of course transportation.

You should consider Porter Square as well. Its a bit sketchier IMO, but its not a ghetto and there is plenty to do along Mass Ave. Plus Red Line, Bus, and Commuter Rail service.

I think the bigger question is where will the internship be? There are a lot of jobs in the suburbs and some of these locations would be less suitable.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:09 AM

160 posts, read 259,266 times
Yes, Allston/Brighton was also another one I was looking at - I will take a look at Porter Square! I can handle sketchy just fine I think, especially if the area is still up and coming - -but not ghetto lol. I do not have an internship yet, I would be looking for one ideally within Boston itself, but I probably will bring my car with me and just pay for parking spot if I was in an area with really tough street parking, so if I found something within a reasonable commute of Boston I would be able to drive or ideally take public transportation. Nothing is set in stone and it looks like I have opportunities back here, but if not this summer, than in the not-too-distant future I would like to spend some time up there.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:51 AM

439 posts, read 765,640 times
FYI, a short term parking spot rental in a dense area (Allston/Brighton street parking is brutal) could eat $150/month into the budget.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:45 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,540,631 times
Yes yes this! Sublets! With 300K students in BOS, summer sublets should be a steal and a dime a dozen. Sublet.com too. My favorite neighborhoods in order:

Back Bay, Beacon Hill, Fenway, North End, Brookline, Charlestown, Allston, Waterfront, South End, South Boston, Harvard Sq, Central Sq, Porter Sq, JP.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
There are lots of sublets listed on Craigslist.
boston sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist
Big bedroom in 4 bed, 2.5 bath townhouse (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/sub/2785693093.html - broken link)

I would look at the Allston/Brighton areas that are close to Commonwealth Ave. Its young, lots to do, and the green line runs frequently (on Commonwealth) to Boston. Plus you've got some bus service to Cambridge and Boston. Its not flawless (some crime), but I wasn't any more uncomfortable there than I was in Back Bay. There are a lot of postings there, probably because BC and BU students rent for the school year and leave for the summer.

Central Square in Cambridge is another good option. You always get some unique characters hanging outside the Red Line stop, but I've walked around late night and felt ok. There are a lot of bars and restaurants in the area, and of course transportation.

You should consider Porter Square as well. Its a bit sketchier IMO, but its not a ghetto and there is plenty to do along Mass Ave. Plus Red Line, Bus, and Commuter Rail service.

I think the bigger question is where will the internship be? There are a lot of jobs in the suburbs and some of these locations would be less suitable.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:24 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,218,075 times
Nothing sketchy about Porter Square. It's a pretty upscale neighborhood from Massachusetts Ave west into Cambridge. Less so on the Somerville side but not sketchy. Central Square is famously sketchy but it's a harmless sketchy. JP wouldn't be the last on my list -- It has maybe something of the feel of Powelton Village-- errs on the side of residential but some very good bars, restaurants, and some shops. Best of all are the huge green spaces there.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:47 AM

5,680 posts, read 5,021,198 times
Porter Square is sketchy??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or