Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 08:56 AM

12,847 posts, read 22,014,769 times

Advertisements

Guys, Qfkl is right. Boston hasn't seen any population growth since 1950 whereas Baltimore has seen major population growth in recent years. Boston's saving grace, perhaps, is that it's close enough to Washington D.C. that its suburbs benefit from DC's continued growth. Boston's economy has continued to struggle since the exodus of manufacturing whereas Baltimore's economy has diversified and become one of the strongest and most stable in the county. Boston's stuck in the past while Baltimore has the largest technology sector outside of Silicon Valley. Boston also has the same amount of People as Baltimore in twice the area. Baltimore's Urban Area and Metro Area populations are DOUBLE Boston's. I know mental hurdles like understanding that Baltimore is quite a bit larger than Boston by simply observing either city in person or reading fairly straightforward numbers can be difficult to overcome. It's really pretty obvious.

.... or maybe it's the other way around?

Here are those "Mental Hurdles" for those who don't want to look. I know my feeble brain can't comprehend this information, but hopefully someone else out there can.

Boston:
636,000 people in 48 square miles
4.1 million in the urbanized area
4.6 million in the metro area

Baltimore:
621,000 people in 81 square miles
2.2 million in the urbanized area
2.7 million in the metro area

So see! You have to really twist the numbers to get the impression that Boston's a larger city!

And of course, the "rivalry" between Boston and New York isn't just limited to sports. We feeble brained Bostonians really do think that Boston is on the same tier in every regard as New York City. Yes. We truly believe that Boston and New York are neck and neck. It has nothing to do with the fact that Boston and New York are similar in age and geographic proximity so we share some similar traits despite the fact that NYC is far larger and more important on a national and international scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 10:03 AM

14,482 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Guys, Qfkl is right. Boston hasn't seen any population growth since 1950 whereas Baltimore has seen major population growth in recent years. Boston's saving grace, perhaps, is that it's close enough to Washington D.C. that its suburbs benefit from DC's continued growth. Boston's economy has continued to struggle since the exodus of manufacturing whereas Baltimore's economy has diversified and become one of the strongest and most stable in the county. Boston's stuck in the past while Baltimore has the largest technology sector outside of Silicon Valley. Boston also has the same amount of People as Baltimore in twice the area. Baltimore's Urban Area and Metro Area populations are DOUBLE Boston's. I know mental hurdles like understanding that Baltimore is quite a bit larger than Boston by simply observing either city in person or reading fairly straightforward numbers can be difficult to overcome. It's really pretty obvious.

.... or maybe it's the other way around?

Here are those "Mental Hurdles" for those who don't want to look. I know my feeble brain can't comprehend this information, but hopefully someone else out there can.

Boston:
636,000 people in 48 square miles
4.1 million in the urbanized area
4.6 million in the metro area

Baltimore:
621,000 people in 81 square miles
2.2 million in the urbanized area
2.7 million in the metro area

So see! You have to really twist the numbers to get the impression that Boston's a larger city!

And of course, the "rivalry" between Boston and New York isn't just limited to sports. We feeble brained Bostonians really do think that Boston is on the same tier in every regard as New York City. Yes. We truly believe that Boston and New York are neck and neck. It has nothing to do with the fact that Boston and New York are similar in age and geographic proximity so we share some similar traits despite the fact that NYC is far larger and more important on a national and international scale.
To the last paragraph. We don't think we are on par with NYC, we're just bitter and confused. To us, it wasn't supposed to be New York that became the premier America city. It was supposed to be Boston.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:18 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qfkl View Post
I've lived in Baltimore and Atlanta and Boston, and I stand by my statement. The mental gymnastics you have to go through to pretend that Boston is actually bigger than Baltimore when they have a comparable population is hilarious. And I don't know what Wikipedia has to say...I was looking at a US census.

Really, Boston is a shockingly backwards, ignorant, curmudgeonly, dirty, ugly town. With a disproportionate number of unattractive people per capita. You can try to sell me and others on it all you want, but it speaks for itself. I understand that you all love it here--Boston is really lucky to have people like all of you who will defend it in the face of reality. But as to why it never appears on "most beautiful cities" and similar lists...well, let's just say it's no accident.
Someone from bombed-out, slum-dwelling, crime-ridden Bodymore, Murderland calling Boston "dirty"?

That's rich.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:18 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qfkl View Post
. The mental gymnastics you have to go through to pretend that Boston is actually bigger than Baltimore when they have a comparable population is hilarious.
Baltimore has 600,000 people in 80 square miles.
Atalanta has around 300,000 people in 80 square miles.
Boston has around 1,000,000 people in 80 square miles.

There-fore, Bos-ton is big-ger.

Do you un-der-stand?

I am speak-ing Eng-lish.

(Written in phonetics just in case you had some trouble reading big words.)

Old 10-03-2013, 11:36 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post

Do you un-der-stand?

I am speak-ing Eng-lish.

But but, they don't use the correct skin care products!

Old 10-03-2013, 12:09 PM

866 posts, read 2,628,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Someone from bombed-out, slum-dwelling, crime-ridden Bodymore, Murderland calling Boston "dirty"?

That's rich.
I'm sure this person is just trolling. Ignore him/her.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:13 PM

408 posts, read 393,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You can't seriously have been to Atlanta or Baltimore and say this with a straight face.
My wife and I *live* in Atlanta, and we would MUCH prefer to spend an evening out in Boston than in Atlanta. Other than sporting events and spotting drunks on the streets, there is *nothing* going on in Midtown Atlanta after regular working hours.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:18 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post

Do you un-der-stand?

I am speak-ing Eng-lish.

Boston has 636,000 people, not 1 million.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:20 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Boston has 636,000 people, not 1 million.

I think you'll find that if you read the thread he is comparing like size metro areas, since listing purely the population and then the square mileage of that population didn't sink with the anti-Boston person.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:32 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I think you'll find that if you read the thread he is comparing like size metro areas, since listing purely the population and then the square mileage of that population didn't sink with the anti-Boston person.
But they claimed Boston is 80 square miles. It seems like they are comparing Boston AND surrounding cities and towns to Baltimore, proper. It should be either/or.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston